X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Halo JC 3 -- a step up from previous phono preamps in my system

A while back on this forum in a discussion about the Halo JC 1 power amps & JC 2 BP preamp that I am enjoying in my 2 channel music system, Chris D predicted that the next hi-fi component I would buy is the JC 3 phono preamp. At the time I wasn’t sure that was in the cards. I recognized its reputation as a John Curl design and knew first hand the quality of construction and expectations-exceeding performance of Halo gear.

But I gulped at the price for something I wasn’t sure I’d use a lot since my Rega Planar 3 with Grado Platinum cartridge had been collecting dust unused for several years (actually since adopting a preamp that did not have a built-in phono stage, my previous external phono stage, a Lehmann Black Cube, having bitten the dust years ago). And since then, the JC 3+ was announced at an even higher price, albeit with enhanced features.

But recently I got a letter from an authorized online Parasound dealer announcing that they had a couple of the original JC 3 (without the “+“) phono preamps on clearance at a 28% discount from the original price, meaning a cost about 44% less than the newer version. While an updated version of the venerable Lehmann Black Cube is also available, if I was going to invest in something new, I also wanted it to be a step up. There are a number of other impressive phono preamps out there at even higher prices than the JC3 , but that was not the direction I was headed.

Buying the JC 3 (without the “+”) would mean foregoing the “+”version’s variable cartridge loading of 50 ohms to 550 ohms or 47k ohm for moving coil (MC)cartridges/47k ohm for moving magnet (MM) cartridges of the new model, settling for the switchable choice of 100 ohms or 47k ohms for MC / 47k ohms for MM.

Since my current cartridge will work fine with one of those settings, the original JC 3 would be fine with my current equipment. In addition, I am not a cartridge “fiddler” who experiments with the “cartridge of the week”; I find one that I like the sound of, and keep it for quite a while. (I know one fellow who tinkers with the loading for each recording. That is not my hobby.) Looking at specs for other cartridges, the more-limited loading choices for the original JC 3 appear to cover at least 95 % of the cartridges I would consider if I ever decide I need an upgrade (e.g., when the Grado wears out).

So I bought the JC 3 and it is now in my rack connected via XLR cables to the JC 2, thus killing the horrible hum generated when I tried some unbalanced interconnects. The XLR outputs on the JC 3 and on the JC 3+ are a great feature for this, even if use of XLR were to yield nothing else in comparison to unbalanced cables. (By design, the Rega Planar 3 does not have a grounding cable.) The Grado Platinum cartridge mates well with the loading setting for Moving Magnet cartridges and overall, even though not broken in, the JC 3 sounds OK. (Alright, a lot better than "OK".)

With about 600 LP albums I’ve bought over the years, I have plenty of music to enjoy with this new addition to my 2 channel music setup, (which now includes Halo JC 1/2/3 amplification driving Magnepan 20.7 speakers). Some examples:

On Mahler’s"Des Knaben Wunderhorn", Christa Ludwig's and Walter Berry's voices are clearly believable as humans singing in the room I’m sitting in, rather than electronically enhanced, and far better sounding than I remember this recording sounding. Leonard Bernstein on piano might as well be in the room, too. The orchestral performance of the same music with Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic (same singers) is stunning. The clarity and positioning of the instruments is convincing and the overall presentation is thoroughly engaging.

Warron Zevon’s “Excitable Boy” album, which includes “Werewolves of London”, sounds like being at a live performance (without the audience coughing or clapping off-beat next to your ears) – the best I’ve heard this music, analog or digital. Ditto for Dire Straights eponymous album that includes “Sultans of Swing”. I’m hearing details never before revealed. Not distractions, but enhancements to the listening experience of this album, which I’ve owned for nearly 40 years.

The album "Mabel Mercer and Bobby Short at Town Hall" is listenable for the first time --a revelatory transformation from previous efforts to sit through it with other record playback set-ups, including the same turntable and cartridge but different phono preamps. Although I have many Bobby Short albums, I had never really enjoyed this one, and used it during set-up this time only because I thought it wouldn't be much of a loss if my turntable and cartridge malfunctioned after years of non-use. Now I'm glad everything worked well.

I guess I'll keep the JC 3 even though now I'm going to have to get up and down from my easychair a lot more. :>)

Burke
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 03 September 2016, 13:54 Saturday.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Good review! Every time I hear a vinyl rig that is "just right" it still amazes me how good it can sound. So, what albums do you plan to add to the collection now? LOL
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Alaric
      So, what albums do you plan to add to the collection now? LOL
      Hey Lee, any suggestions? My shelves still have some space. :>)

Although at some point I'll start adding new vinyl to the collection, right now I'm having fun pulling discs off the shelf that I've never replaced with a CD, SACD or HD digital download and giving them a listen with "new ears".

Glad it's a holiday weekend... so far, this has included:

- a pristine 45 year old copy of The Cannonball Adderley album "Why Am I Treated So Bad", and

- a mono recording of classical violinist and conductor Yehudi Menuhin, which gave me the opportunity to try the "mono" button of the JC 3 -- it does make a positive difference, avoiding false differences in playback of two channels when only one was recorded.

- Plus a Judy Collins album I had forgotten even existed, Judy Collins "Living"; its "Song for Judith (Open the Door)" especially poignant with clearly rendered chorus and instrumental accompaniment effectively supporting Judy's heartfelt interpretation of the lyrics.

- Also, Rod Stewart "A Night On The Town" (with "Tonight's the Night/Gonna Be Alright" leading the charge),

- as well as Doobie Brothers "Toulouse Street" (including their uplifting anthem "Listen to the Music").

All still worth playing, with sonics that hold up despite their age, each showing the value of having a decent analog playback system.

One album that shows its age stylistically is "Ready When You Are, JB", a compendium of John Barry movie themes that were popular in the 1960s. It was heavily over-engineered, likely for snappy playback on home console stereos and car radios, and the content isn't particularly interesting (to me) anymore. But I am confident the system gave it as favorable an audition as it's going to get.

While I have more albums to go through before I start shopping, I might as well start making a list...

Thanks,

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

I've had the Parasound Halo JC 3 phono preamp in my two channel music system for more than 30 days now, which means it is truly mine. (I've gone past the retailer's return date, and have also paid the credit card bill.) Records sounds terrific played with it, but I've read that after a couple hundred hours or more of break-in time it will sound even better. Anyone have experience with, or thoughts about this?

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

some of it may just be your ears (brain) getting used to the 'new' sound...
          some of it may actually be the components 'settling in'.....

i have talked with many from the industry about this phenomena, & opinions still vary depending on you talk to...
          Brian Zolner of Bricasti told me he has compared his equipment.
          he took a brand spanking new unit off the line & ran it next to a customer unit with many hours on it sent back for upgrade work.
          he reported to me that his ear detected there was no sonic differences.

yet, Klaus Brunge, owner of Odyssey, has told me it can take over 500 hours for some of his amps to reach full song.

so who knows?
          all that matters is that you like what your hear.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Minor bump in the road with JC3

Started to listen to a new (for me) vinyl acquisition (Shelby Lynne: “Just a Little Lovin”) and – nothing. Then I noticed that the JC3’s front panel “P” logo (on/off indicator light) was not illuminated. Since other components were connected to the same power source and were on, I figured it had to be something wrong with the JC3 itself. But just to be sure, I swapped out the stock power cable, and still no power to the unit.

Remembering how an issue I had a couple of years ago with my JC2 BP preamp (which turned out to be a blown internal fuse) had been promptly remediated by Parasound, I got in touch with Parasound again. Richard Schram, President of Parasound, personally responded with a note that replacement fuses were on the way along with instructions on how to quickly find where to replace them. He also explained that the fuses had perhaps been rated a bit conservatively when the unit was designed. But I’d definitely rather err on the side of caution than end up with a fried board then requiring that the unit be sent back for repair.

The fuse swap took maybe five minutes and the album I had wanted to audition sounds stellar. While the clear vinyl of the disk is gimmicky, the recording and the performance are not. Shelby Lynne’s clear and engaging voice, supported by straightforward, minimalist instrumental accompaniments, more than does justice to the Dusty Springfield classics that comprise the bulk of the album.

The sound from the vinyl disk via Parasound Halo JC 1/2/3 amplification and Magnepan 20.7 speakers is revealing in a good way, like being in the same room with the performers, as immediate as being at the recording session, and the overall experience is perhaps better, because the seating in my living room may be more comfortable than sitting on a stool or studio chair in a recording booth. :>)

Once again, I’m way more than pleased with the excellent equipment and service delivered by Parasound. (And the sound. Did I mention the sound?)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"