Anyone else still rocking their C1/C2???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slayer
    • Dec 2005

Anyone else still rocking their C1/C2???

All these years later, I am still enjoying this unit. Still no problems!!!
    I just recently picked up an Oppo BDP103 and have it connected to my C2 with the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo to the Halo. While it only has a global x-over setting, it is still fantastic sounding. It offers me some extended life to my Halo. At least until this damn HDMI updating finally settles down. At that point, I will shop for a new replacement to the C2. Hopefully something with the newer fun stuff like Atmos.
    But for now, I am enjoying SACD, DVD-Audio, Dolby True HD, DTS Master HD...
    For 2ch, I go out of the Oppo with a toslink to my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube Dac, then to the analog inputs of the Halo C2. Sounds amazing!!!
    Thank god the Halo has been this dependable for me. It has allowed me to wait out the industry changes and hopefully upgrade when things have calmed down.
    Just hope the next pre/pro I buy is as well built as the Halo!!! Thanks Parasound.
    I will give an honorable mention to my amp as well. My Earthquake Cinenova Grande. This 140lb beast has been just as reliable. As have my Veritas "i" series speakers!!!
    Parasound Halo C2
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
    Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
    Oppo BDP103
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
    Xbox One
    Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
    Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
    BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
    Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
    Energy Veritas 2.0i center
    CAT Tiburon series side surround
    Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Great post, Slayer. And good to see you again!

Yes, I'm still rocking the C1 in my setup too, some 11 years later. I'm still able to do HDMI audio decoding, surround processing, and more as I detailed in my post here 6 years ago:

My setup is still pretty much as I detailed there, other than upgrading from the PS3 to the PS4 as my primary gaming system and BD player. And it's going strong. The only thing I could really upgrade to get the latest technology is the outboard receiver/HDMI decoder, to get Dolby Atmos processing. After experiencing Atmos at CEDIA this year, I'm a firm believer, and I've been a strong supporter of ceiling speakers since Dolby originally considered them years ago.

It's really subtle, but I think I'm hearing a bit of distortion in my speakers lately. I haven't identified the source, whether it's coming from the C1 audio circuits degrading after all this time, or my Halo amps doing the same, or my speaker cable wiring, or whatever. Unless it's the C1, I still all these years later have no reason to replace my C1.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• slayer
      • Dec 2005

Awesome! I had wondered if you ever replaced it. I almost went the Receiver route a few different times and almost bought a Marantz pre/pro. Just didn't want to get stuck with an obsolete piece like I did with the C2. I bought it right when HDMI came around. While it is still everything I need other than HDMI and decoding abilities, it's almost time to replace it. It will be my next big upgrade. I've always wanted a universal disc player. I really enjoy some of the SACD and DVD Audio releases out there.
      So I settled on the Oppo so I can keep the Halo in the main system and still enjoy all the high res goodness. The new formats like Atmos is why I'm almost ready to buy. I'm actually searching for a house to buy now that I've finally recovered from my divorce. Which means it will be MY house to do anything I want! Big shop with a lift for my cars and room for the hotrod I've been building.
      Hopefully a dedicated A/V theater room!
      I've got 5 matching Monitor Audio 8" Silver Series ceiling speakers I've been holding onto for years. Had them for an install I was doing and the client backed out, a bedroom system. Along with a couple pairs of in walls for other rooms. I figure 4 of the ceiling speakers will be the Atmos speakers in main system and I can either build a nice 5.1 in-wall/ceiling system for my master bedroom. Glad I've held onto them for all these years.
      Parasound Halo C2
      Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
      Oppo BDP103
      Xbox One
      Velodyne SMS-1

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

The biggest problem I'd have with incorporating Atmos is not just installing speakers on the ceiling, but sonically matching those speakers to the rest of my system. Everybody's going to have those same problems, no matter what speakers they use, even (or maybe even more so) if they use the option to put the little speaker projections on top of the other speakers to project the sound and reflect it off the ceiling.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• slayer
          • Dec 2005

Yeah. I've lived with mismatched speakers ever since I've gotten into this game! Doesn't bother me. I would love to have the same speakers in all locations, but that will never happen!!!! $$$$$
          Unless I someday replace my mains. I have considered going with the Sunfire Cinema Ribbon speakers. Especially if they ever release a new tower with their ribbons. The bookshelf ribbons they have are incredible and I'm sure having those same speakers in every location would be stunning. But they are not cheap. Guess I will see what I do when my Veritas finally crap out. Finding replacement drivers for them is near impossible as they are not produced anymore. Thanks to Klipsch buying them out. Like my Halo and Cinenova amp, they have given me year and years of reliable pleasure. Maybe one day I will have matching speakers all around....
          Parasound Halo C2
          Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
          Oppo BDP103
          Xbox One
          Velodyne SMS-1

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"