X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy0217
    • Jun 2005

How much better is the JC2 to the P5

Hi Folks,

There is a chance I may be able to get a used pair of JC1's and the seller also has a JC2 that he is looking at selling...we may be able to strike a deal,

My intention was that if I can get the JC1's I would purchase a new P5, but now I am thinking the JC2 might be the better option while the opportunity is there.

So just wondering is there a big performance difference between the two? I will be using strictly for 2 channel with a Yamaha CDS2000.

What do you guys suggest?

And just on the JC2 the back panel doesn't show a dedicated subwoofer out...do the RCA and XLR outs run simultaneously and is this where I hook up a subwoofer? And does it have separate bass and treble controls?

Thanks in advance
    Regards Andrew
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Depends on what you mean by "better". Great sound, or great convenience features?

Given that you'll be using the excellent JC1 power amps, for strictly two channel operation with a fine player like the Yamaha CDS2000 and taking advantage of its XLR connection, the JC2 is going to be better than the P5. The JC2 was designed to be top shelf gear successfully competing against much more expensive high end audio gear. After nearly a year of listening with the JC2 in my own system, I can confirm that it richly deserves the accolades it has received from numerous published critics and discerning listeners.

On the other hand, the P5 is no slouch if you needed a DAC, digital inputs and the convenience of separate sub handling plus home theater bypass (which of course is also available for an additional $500 to add it to the JC2, or by getting the JC2 BP). But the P5 is not the heavyweight that the JC2 is (both literally and sound-wise).

Either the P5 or the JC2 will sound great. But if you are after truly superlative two channel sound, the JC2 is in the rarified company of true reference or near-reference quality preamps, and may be the last one you'd ever need to purchase. Even having bought mine new at full dealer price, I still feel like I got my money's worth, and enjoy listening to it every day.

The main output balanced and RCA terminals are simultaneously active. So hooking the sub to the RCA terminals will work while using the XLR (balanced) connections for the JC1 power amps. Or vice versa. (BTW -- I would have bought JC1 power amps myself if I had not already invested in Bryston 7B SST monoblocks.)

The JC2 is a minimalist "purist" design and does not have bass and treble boost/attenuator controls. Ultimately, I think you'll find that the unstrained sound of the JC2 will not require "frequency shaping" to make the music listenable. :>) Speaker placement, the arrangement of objects in the room, and room acoustical treatment would probably be a better bet than using bass and treble tone controls anyway (not talking about room equalization for home theater).

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Hey Andrew,

Did the deal for the JC1 power amps work out? If so, how do you like them, presuming they are now in your system, and which preamp did you decide was best for your needs? Inquiring minds want to know. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"