X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

Parasound Zamp help

I picked up one of the older version Parasound Zamps on eBay. I already have one, but one of the channels has gone bad, and when I saw this one I couldn't believe the price - so I snagged it.

Turns out it had some shipping damage. I worked through it with the seller, and he refunded part of my money. The transformer was knocked loose during shipping and snapped one of the wires off the IEC plug inside. I soldered it back in place, and it worked.

It does play music, the interesting thing, though, is that the amplifier cannot be shut off. I flip the power switch and it has no effect - except to slightly dim the green power light when I flip it off. The music continues to play. At this time, the only way to shut the power off is to unplug it.

The seller and I have worked it out, and I don't feel he owes me anything more, but I want a working amp, and Parsound is closed right now... Any thoughts?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

If it plays music, then technically it is a "working amp", but I agree that having to unplug it to turn it off would be an ongoing hassle. Thinking "outside the box" (beyond the amp itself), how about something like this switch for about $20:

SVAT Wireless Remote Control Power Outlet Outdoor On/Off Switch with 100 ft. Range

If this particular one isn't robust enough to handle the power requirements of the Parasound Zamp, then perhaps another model would be. What appealed to me about this one is its remote control, instead of a manual switch.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

I guess it's true that we could argue the definition of 'working'. I'll go out on a limb and say I want a 'fully functioning' amp. Perhaps I should clarify, I'm hoping someone with technical working knowledge of this or other similar amps might have a suggestion on what to check inside to bring the amp back to original operating condition.

I have no problem paying to have Parasound fix it, but would rather try a couple things myself, first, to see if I can solve it.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I'm not sure with every version of the Zamp, but current versions have a switch on the back to choose whether the unit turns on with a 12v trigger, automatically with audio, or manually with the front panel button. That's the first thing I'd check. (and Parasound will tell you the same thing, assuming yours has that feature, too)

FWIW, I have all my Zcustom equipment hooked together with 12v trigger cables to power on together.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• WAFWARRIOR
          • Apr 2013

Call Parasound. Ask for Bob or Tony. They will help you figure this out.

415-397-7100

Comment

• Rolex
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WAFWARRIOR
            Call Parasound. Ask for Bob or Tony. They will help you figure this out.

415-397-7100

Thanks for the feedback. I did go ahead and call Parasound. The version of this amp is older, in fact a couple versions back from current, I think. Tony said that it may not be worth fixing, and that they likely can't touch it for less than $125. (I only paid 60 for the amp)

Both amps I have use a screw type connection for the 12v trigger. Since I have the schematic for the amplifier, I will probably try to take it locally to a repair shop to see what they would charge.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"