X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Important note on taking the feet off Zcustom units

Important enough issue here to make a dedicated post. Like most any rack-able component, if you rackmount a Zcustom unit, you'll need to take the feet off the underside of the case. If you do take the feet off, do not put the feet screws back in the unit.

I just did this with a Zcd. After you take the feet off, the screws are loose and don't stay in the feet themselves. I didn't want to lose the screws, so I put them back in the case with the feet off. A minor point, but I also did it to plug the little screw holes.

Turns out, as compact as the Zcustom cases are, when I put the small screws back in, at least one was just big enough to contact a circuit board inside and short out the unit. Parasound swapped it out no problem. But this one is worth getting the word out to others, so nobody else fries a Zunit.

Now, back to my rockin' out my Zetup...
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Yeah, never put any screws through the case without first checking the maximum allowed depth.

I usually store the feet and screws in a small ziplock bag in order to make sure not to lose them. (If I save the original shipping box, I keep the ziplock bag with the feet in there. If not, I keep them with the manual). :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh, I save the original box of ALL my electronic components. Especially since I've moved several times in my job, I'm not about to trust my high-end gear wrapped up and padded in non-original packing.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Oh ouch Chris, that hurt a little. Likely more and more true with today's smaller components. I am not sure I would have thought about that happening either though.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
          Oh, I save the original box of ALL my electronic components. Especially since I've moved several times in my job, I'm not about to trust my high-end gear wrapped up and padded in non-original packing.
          Yeah, in the past I would also have said "ALL", but unfortunately these days some electronics come in clam-shell packaging that you have to cut open with scissors and after that the packaging is really not good for reuse and/or worth saving...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"