X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ligald
    • Feb 2009

Pre-amp for Parasound A21

Hi,

I read a lot of reviews about Parasound gears and I'm considering the A21 power amplifier. I'm wondering about the pre-amplifier to associate to A21. In order to have the best synergy between the two components, I will also consider a Parasound pre-amplifier. Actually, there are two options (for a stereo only configuration): P3 or JC2.

The amplifier will be associated to a Slimdevice Transporter (via balanced output) and B&W 802d speakers.

Regarding the price of the A21 (2000 USD), is it worth investing 4000 USD for the JC2 pre-amplifier? It is said to be one of the best solid state pre-amplifiers, however it costs 5 times the P3.

Any opinion about this combo?

Thanks for your help. Best regards

Ligald
    Last edited by Ligald; 19 February 2009, 09:02 Thursday.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Have you considered running the Transporter directly to the A21 and skip the preamp?

The JC2 is IMHO overkill for a single source setup and does not make things sound "better". If you want to slightly improve the sound, you better spend your cash on a high-end DAC instead.

Another very nice option is to run the Transporter with digital AES/EBU directly to a TacT amplifier like I do. The digital signal stays digital all the way until the final stage of digital/PWM conversion. Have a look at the TacT M2150.

Peter
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ligald
      • Feb 2009

Hello,

Thanks for your advice. Yes I also considered to skip the pre-amp and to plug the transporter directly into the power amp (via balanced cables). However in this case, you have to care about the sensitivity matching between the Transporter output and the amplifier input. For instance, the Transporer balanced output are 3 Vrms(5.6 Vpp) while most amplifier inputs sensitivity is a few hundreds mV. Then you have to insert attenuators on the audio cable and it becomes tricky to obtain the optimum matching. Would be sad to spend so much money in the loudspeakers + amp and to have your audio source corrupted by such a matching problem! Furthermore, the volume control of the Transporter is made digitally which can degrades the signal SNR for low listening levels.

Finally, I also bought the Transporter for its DAC capabilities which are excellent. In fact, the role of the pre-amp in my configuration would be limited to the in/out sensitivity matching and the analog volume control.

Ligald

Comment

• MichiganMike
        • Mar 2004

There is another option in the Parasound Halo line to consider. As I reported in another thread, I recently purchased a second Parasound C2 Controller for use as a preamp in a two channel system. The unit was a demo from an authorized dealer offered at a deep discount from MSRP, in my case a few hundred more than the price of a P3. The price for C2 units is depressed due to owners moving on to newer preamp processors with HDMI inputs and other features. However, the C2 has an excellent balanced direct analog input that may make it an interesting alternative for your application. While the C2 is not the equal of the JC2 as a preamp, it is very good at a price only slightly above the P3. The C2 specs (e.g., signal to noise) and IMHO the sound quality is a step up from the P3. Some reviews when the C2 was first introduced compared its performance favorably to well-regarded, dedicated audio preamps when using the direct inputs. I use the C2 with an A21 in one of my systems and feel this provides excellent synergy.

As stated in one review:
        "In addition, the Audio 1 balanced inputs can be used in Bypass mode, which sidesteps all of the C 2's electronics except for the analog volume control—a feature that, like the 7.1 analog input/output function, makes the C 2 an excellent choice for those who wish to incorporate a purist audiophile system within a multichannel home theater. "
        Last edited by MichiganMike; 20 February 2009, 07:14 Friday.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ligald
          Hello, Thanks for your advice. Yes I also considered to skip the pre-amp and to plug the transporter directly into the power amp (via balanced cables). However in this case, you have to care about the sensitivity matching between the Transporter output and the amplifier input. For instance, the Transporer balanced output are 3 Vrms(5.6 Vpp) while most amplifier inputs sensitivity is a few hundreds mV. Then you have to insert attenuators on the audio cable and it becomes tricky to obtain the optimum matching. Would be sad to spend so much money in the loudspeakers + amp and to have your audio source corrupted by such a matching problem!
          It's true that it's important to avoid matching problems (BTW, voltage is usually not the matching problem - it's impedance that you need to match). What you say regarding the levels is not correct. As the name implies, pre-amps amplify low level signals to the higher levels required by power-amps.

Most power amplifiers usually need a signal with higher voltage (1~2V) than typical source components provide. Some source equipment is limited to outputting only 250mV. So, connecting the source directly to a power amplifier may very often result in too low volume levels (even at max volume it won't play loud enough). This is a very common annoyance that people with the new Slim Devices "Receiver" have experienced.

As you noticed, the Transporter is capable of outputting a strong enough signal through the BALANCED outputs.

I have run the Transporter directly to a pair of JC-1, and I have also tried it with an A-21. Both worked fine, and as far as I can recall the output of the Transporter was sufficient to achieve full output level.

By the way, PRE-amplifier inputs are usually 250mV, so if you think the peak output of the Transporter is a problem, then you don't want to connect it to a preamp :B

Furthermore, the volume control of the Transporter is made digitally which can degrades the signal SNR for low listening levels.
          You're right that the digital volume control of the Transporter may have a subtle effect. However, it has nothing to do with the SNR (signal to noise ratio). The problem with a digital volume control is that digital resolution is lost at lower volume levels. The problem can be avoided by adding digital processing headroom to compensate for the lost bits. This can for instance be achieved by doing the volume control arithmetic in 24- or 32-bit space.

Assuming that the Transporter has a 24-bit volume control, or better, the bad effects of a digital volume control are minimized to a level where it has no practical effect. On the Transporter, a 24-bit volume control should be Ok to nullify the problem since your CDs are only 16 bits, and 24-bit SACD is not supported by the Slimserver platform. While 24 bits can't be reached at low levels, the full 16 bits usually can. (If volume control is done with only 16 bits, there might possibly be some audible issues at low levels).

You might want to double check the digital volume control on the Transporter. I'm pretty sure it's 24-bit. (If it isn't, how can they justify the $2k cost)?

One final note regarding volume control and P3 vs. JC-2: The P3 does not let you control the volume from the remote control. (The JC-2 has servo control of the analog potentiometer, which lets you control the volume remotely). Something to keep in mind if you're hellbent on using a classic analog volume attenuator...

Peter
          Last edited by Peter Nielsen; 19 February 2009, 21:14 Thursday.

Comment

• r100gs
            • May 2005

I've had an A21/P3 combo for a couple of years and have no complaints. What this combo would sound like with a pair of B&W 802d's, I have no idea. Would love to test drive a JC-2 with the A21, but the cost is too high. The P3 volume can be controlled with the remote.
            Jay

Comment

• Vince Helm
              • Mar 2006

Hi.

I have the A21 and C2 combo... great stuff. If you have the cash go for the JC2 as it is a top-shelf unit that should last for many years to come. At some point you might upgrade to a different amp (pair of JC1's!) down the road and the JC2 will be ready to go as long as the amp and cables do not offer a thin or lean sound. many reviewers love the JC2 and more so when used with amps/cables not on the lean side. I agree with Peter about the direct input in theory but a good preamp brings things into balance or I do not know, it just sounds better.
              All the Best
              Vince

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Vince Helm
                I agree with Peter about the direct input in theory but a good preamp brings things into balance or I do not know, it just sounds better.
                The fact is that few sources can be fed directly to the power amp, so usually you need to have a preamp. Many sources don't have volume control either, making the preamp a must have.

However, the Logitech (former Slim Devices) Transporter is capable by design to drive a power amplifier. In a way, you could say it has the preamp capability already built in...

Peter

Comment

• Ligald
                  • Feb 2009

Transporter as pre-amp

Thanks for your answer Peter,

It's a very good new to know that you managed to connect the Transporter into the A21 successfully. Did you used balanced or unbalanced output? This could be the ultimate solution providing the shortest audio path! However I do not think it is so straightforward. Take a look a this turorial wich gives very detailed explanation about the level matching problem:

I tried to compute it for the A21 (cf. bottom of the page). My conclusions are that if you set the A21 gain by default (THX reference) and connect the Transporter without attenuator, it may easily clip! Consequently, you must decrease the amp gain in order to avoid any problem, assuming that the Transporter output voltage does not exceed the maximal input voltage of the amp.

BTW, someone knows the maximum input voltage before clipping of the A21 inputs?

Regarding volume control, a user tested the effects of the digital control of the Squeezebox and he really recommands not using it:

Of course, as you said, the Transporter was originally designed as a pre-amp a may have an improved volume control (24 bits). However, many forums recommand not using the volume below 75%.

Thank you for your advises. It's very useful!

Ligald

From the specs of the A21, I estimated the maximal input level Vin

A21 specs: 28V output for 1V input (maximal gain of 28 for THX ref), 250 Wrms on 8 Ohm

P = U * I = U *U /R => Vin*Vin*28*28 /8 = 250 => Vin = ~1.5 Vrms

This means that the full power is obtained with 1.5 Vrms input. I did not found this value in the specs, however I know that Parasound used to have this sensitivity for former amps. Consequently, for higher input voltages such as the Transporter one (3 Vrms), the gain of the A21 should be lowered via the gain control knobs. I'll try to ask Parasound directly about this concern.
                  Last edited by Ligald; 20 February 2009, 14:36 Friday.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Did you used balanced or unbalanced output?
                    I used balanced only. I don't think I tried the unbalanced RCAs.

My conclusions are that if you set the A21 gain by default (THX reference) and connect the Transporter without attenuator, it may easily clip!
                    It will only clip if your volume level is so high that it clips. If you play that loud, you probably need a bigger amp!

In normal circumstances, you DO NOT want to adjust your amp so that 0dB out = clip level. You want some headroom.

Most recordings do not use levels up to 0dB. It is not uncommon that recordings have the peak level below -10dB.

What this means, is that if you adjust your system to achieve maximum volume level at 0dB, then you can never reach full volume unless your recording also has 0dB.

Consequently, you must decrease the amp gain in order to avoid any problem, assuming that the Transporter output voltage does not exceed the maximal input voltage of the amp.
                    No, this only applies to the case where you run the transporter with 100% volume to your PREAMP and mute the volume with the preamp.

If you mute the volume with the transporter, the problem does not exist.

BTW, someone knows the maximum input voltage before clipping of the A21 inputs?
                    That is completely irrelevant. The A21 output will clip way before anything else in its path clips. If you clip the input, it does not matter. The output will also clip, probably to the degree of shutting down the amp or blowing your speakers!

Regarding volume control, a user tested the effects of the digital control of the Squeezebox and he really recommands not using it:
                    Are you going to use a Squeezebox or Transporter? There is a MAJOR difference between the two.

The volume control on the Transporter works fine because it's using 24 bit processing. The one on the Squeezebox is not very good, and is limited. It looks like it's actually using *fewer* than 16 bits. The adjustablity is also very bad in the Squeezebox. Transporter has none of the problems. (I own both!)

However, many forums recommand not using the volume below 75%.
                    This is true for a 16 bit volume control, but not for a 24 bit control.

The Transporter is 24 bits and does not have the same problems as the Squeezebox. You can read more here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39611

You might find this interesting: To return to the OP's questions... nobody yet pointed out that Tranporter has options for analog attenuation (after the DAC) too. The switches are internal, so you need to remove the cover to get at them, but recommended as a way to set the maximum output level and so get the most dynamic range from the digital volume control. So, if you feel a need for lowering the output level, it CAN be done.

Peter

Comment

• Ligald
                      • Feb 2009

Hi,

I'll use a Transporter in my setup which apparently provides a far better volume management than the Squeezebox. I didn't know how the Squeezebox was implemented and I agree for the 24 bits volume control!

Regarding the sensitivity matching, I think there is probably a misunderstanding.

1) As the digital volume control is implemented in "software" and may be remote controlled from the PC, it can be subject to bugs. If you digital volume accidentally reaches 100%, then the TP will deliver almost maximal output voltage (3 Vrms) into the amp which will probably clip (as it maximal power is obtained for ~1.5 Vrms). This happened to some users who damaged their speakers with too high unwanted volume levels!

2) In order to avoid this and to provide some headroom, the best way is to achieve proper matching by using analog attenuators. The analog attenuation can be done inside the TP by configuring the internal jumpers (however this only affects the unbalanced output, NOT the balanced one), with external attenuators or with the built-in gain control of the A21. This will guarantee that even at 100% TP volume, the amp will not reach full power and damage you speakers.

With the attenuator, I'll fix my maximal listening volume once for all. Then, thanks to the digital control, I'll be able to adjust the volume level for a daily use.

In your setup don't you think that if you put the TP volume to 100% with a strong audio signal, your amp will clip? (assuming that the gain control of the A21 is set by default).

Thanks

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

In your setup don't you think that if you put the TP volume to 100% with a strong audio signal, your amp will clip? (assuming that the gain control of the A21 is set by default).
                        No, no, NOOOO! :roll: :E :lol: :Z

You are completely misunderstanding the main electrical AND digital key issue at work:

Only the DIGITAL signal needs to be kept at 100% level. Analog can be any level without losing resolution.

Does this make things more clear?

Peter

Comment

• Ligald
                          • Feb 2009

Hi,

>Only the DIGITAL signal needs to be kept at 100% level. Analog can be any >level without losing resolution.
                          The thing is perfectly clear for me... did I say the contrary?

>In your setup don't you think that if you put the TP volume to 100% with a >strong audio signal, your amp will clip? (assuming that the gain control of the >A21 is set by default).

May be I'm misusing the word "clipping" in English! I reformulate this way:

1) TP with digital volume at 100% => maximal analog level output

2) The maximal output level can theoretically reaches 3 Vrms (although it is practically almost never the case because - as yous said - the music is recorded < 0dB).

3) The A21 is rated at ~1.5 Vrms to achieve full power of 250 Vrms on 8 Ohms

4) If you input 3 Vrms in the amp, you will probably run it into saturation (what I former called clip) which may damage your system.

5) Inserting an attenuator limits the the analog output of the TP. For instance, -10 dB attenuation divides roughly the voltage by 3.

6) The maximal output voltage of the TP becomes ~1 Vrms

7) No more risk to overdrive the amp whatever the digital volume is (but on the other hand, you do not benefit anymore from the amp full power).

Do you agree? Otherwise have a look on the tutorial "TP into amp" which describes the issue with a lot of details.

BTW, I'll definitively skip the preamp in my configuration as many audio enthusiasts recommended it to me. Thanks
                          Last edited by Ligald; 24 February 2009, 06:32 Tuesday.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

You are worrying too much!

Yes, you can make the system foolproof. A foolproof system will only output full power for recordings that have peak levels of 0dB. A foolproof system will be calibrated so that 0dB = full power (e.g. 200W).

Now you take a recording (or song) that has a peak level of -12dB. This is not uncommon at all. Turn up the volume of your calibrated system all the way, and the maximum power you can achieve is 200/2/2/2/2 or 12.5W! (Each 3dB reduces power by half).

So you need the headroom! Of course this means that a 0dB recording will clip your amp and possibly cause damage if you turn the volume up all the way, but it also means that you can listen to your regular -12dB recording at any volume level you want.

If you think that limiting your headroom is not a problem, then simply attenuate the output of the Transporter or turn down the input sensitivity of the A21...

I would not worry about this though.

If you REALLY want a foolproof system, you need to look at the TacT amps. Since they are true digital amps with no analogue path, it is simply not possible to make the output clip. All bits set to "1" in the signal, means full output power to the PWM. However, the drawback is that recordings with lesser levels won't play as loud...

>In your setup don't you think that if you put the TP volume to 100% with a >strong audio signal, your amp will clip? (assuming that the gain control of the >A21 is set by default).
                            Yes, but what's the problem? If your desire is to avoid this and make 0dB = actual full power of the A21, then simply turn down the gain control, or change the gain output settings of the Transporter. Problem solved!

Most people don't do this, because they appreciate the overhead available so that they can turn up the volume on quiet recordings. Of course this requires some self-discipline too, since it does allow you to over-drive the amp if you have a loud recording and turn up the volume exessively...

Again, if you want a locked-down foolproof solution, then you should not mess with analogue stuff. Go with TacT's true digital solution.

And to get back to the original topic: How does a preamp change any of this? IT DOES NOT! If you turn up the volume knob to full level on the preamp, you can be sure the amps will shut down or your speakers will pop! I've blown speaker fuses with the C2+A51 and had C2+A21 clip, so a preamp will not offer any advantage here! If you want foolproof, you need a true digital amp that can't be overdriven.

Peter

Comment

• Ligald
                              • Feb 2009

Hi,

That's it! I fully agree.

>You are worrying too much!
                              You're probably right and it's good to have your feedback as you tried it!

>If your desire is to avoid this and make 0dB = actual full power of the A21, then simply turn down the gain control

The A21 providing adjustable gain is really well fitted for a preamp-less configuration and give a lot of flexibility. I love this

>And to get back to the original topic: How does a preamp change any of >this? IT DOES NOT!
                              Assuming one single audio source, the pre-amp would be a non sense as its primitive goal is to amplify low level signals for matching the amp input. I'll definitely skip it!

My audio dealer proposed me to bring my TP and to plug in directly into the A21 for a listening test with the B&W 802d. Great. The idea is then to make a comparative test with the amp Classé CA2200 which costs twice the price and which is traditionally associated to that speakers.

Do you have any feedback of people driving B&Wspeakers with Parsaound amp's?

Thank you Peter for your advices.

Ligald

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Do you have any feedback of people driving B&Wspeakers with Parsaound amp's?
                                That's a very good question. Let me give you one answer:

Here in the US, B&W is closely associated with Classé. Consequently the audio houses that carry Classé usually also carry B&W and vice versa. My local dealer hosts a yearly event when they bring in a Classé or a B&W representative (most often it's the Classé representative). Every year it's the same thing. Classé is mated with B&W and they really push that synergy (as do most Classé/B&W dealers). Sometimes they have Classé driving high-end speakers of other brands too, but all the B&W speakers are always curiously enough driven exclusively by Classé gear...

Consequently it is actually difficult to get an objective/unbiased comment when it comes to mating B&W with other amps. I have read several positive reviews with B&W 800 and 802 driven by Parasound JC-1s. (I vaguely recall reading a very positive review with the 802 driven by A21 too). However, the reviews are in minority as it seems the B&W folks usually mate their speakers with Classé or more expensive alternatives (Mark Levinson comes to mind).

B&W speakers are not really a particularily "difficult" load, so I think the difference between a Parasound and Classé amp is subtle at most. In any case, the Parasound will work perfectly and provide more bang for the buck than the Classé does. The extra money spent on the Classé gives you more eye candy, fancy features like Ethernet connection, and the questionable feelgood feeling that it is proudly made in North America and not assembled by foreigners in Taiwan like Parasound... (Parasound is designed in California, US but the amps are assembled in Taiwan).

My advice: Start with the Parasound. Then worry about upgrading to something better. (You will notice that the money spent for the higher end models only provide a subtle increase in fidelity/performance while you may easily spend multiple the dollar amount for something almost similar in features...)

Peter

Comment

• Ligald
                                  • Feb 2009

Hi Peter,

Thank for your advice. I agree with you.

>the difference between a Parasound and Classé amp is subtle at most
                                  In all the reviews I read, the perf's of the A21 were compared to up to 20x times more expensive amplifiers, with only very very subtle differences. Many testers concluded that the A21 was simply under-priced to bee considered by audiophiles and it would had much more success if the price was 2 or 3x times higher. The same applies for the Transporter.
                                  So I don't expect to hear any significant differences between Classé and the A21. I contrary, the Classé is sometimes criticized for its surgical sound while the A21 is reputed for its "tube like" warm sound. And in term of power and current capabilities, the A21 is even better. Finally, as you said, both B&W and Classé (and Rotel) are imported in Switzerland by the same company which try to impose the combo. And it is very difficult to obtain listening test with other brands...

However, I was a bit "disappointed" with my first test of the 802d. if the high and medium sound was truly exceptional (as well as the stereophonic effect), I had the feeling that they did not sound "alive" and that the sound could not really escape from the speakers. Strange because both amp and speakers are well known for their vivacity. Probably the test setup was not optimal, especially regarding the preamp (Denon CD player + Parasound 2100 Classic serie preamp + A21). I'll make a new try by bringing the Transporter and connecting it to the amp and make the test with both A21 and Classé. I expect improvement regarding the preamp skipping and the balanced connections. Finally it seems that the A21 requires some burn in hours before reaching its full potential. Any comment?

>and the questionable feelgood feeling that it is proudly made in North America >and not assembled by foreigners in Taiwan like Parasound...
                                  The manufacturing origin of the amp probably explains its lower costs. This is not a concern, as long as it does not come from China. Furthermore, even if it is proudly made in US or Europe, components come from over the world and workers probably too. However I can understand your feeling and, as a Swiss guy, I would very concerned about the origin of a Swiss watch too.

Thanks. Ligald

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Furthermore, even if it is proudly made in US or Europe, components come from over the world and workers probably too.
                                    Yep. Exactly my point. One of my favorite quotes spoken by Peter Stormare in the movie Armageddon:
                                    "Components. American components, Russian components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!" :B

Peter

Comment

• Ligald
                                      • Feb 2009

Hi Peter,

I went to my dealer and we spent a whole afternoon listening to the configuration TP + Classé CA2200 + B&W 802d (without pre-amp )

This experience was truly amazing. I was so disappointed with my first test and this time everything sounded so great! The delaer - who never heard about the TP before - told me that it was one of the best matching he tried. It is really difficult to imagine that I listened to the same speakers one week before.

Unfortunately, the dealer did not have the Parasound anymore to make a one to one comparison... However et proposed me a really good offer for the combo Classé + B&W which I could not refuse...

I would like to thank you for your advices: I have now a coherent system and the matching TP + Classé is really great!

Ligald

Comment

• milpai
                                        • Sep 2009

A21 and JC-2 BP

Sorry for reviving this old thread.

I have a JC-2 BP on loan from my dealer and connected that to my A21 amp. What I find is - the volume on JC-2 starts at 7 o'clock position and by 9 o'clock position it is very loud. The JC-2 manual states that the sweet spot of this preamp is between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock position. I assumed that the JC-2 would be a good match for the A21.

I got the loaner because I wanted to compare the JC-2 against my TVC. And honestly, I am struggling to find any difference at all. I have a Promitheus Reference C-core, which is a 2 box (left and right channel) TVC. I did a lot of comparison over the weekend and cannot justify upgrading to the JC-2.

Can anyone please advise any settings on the A21, that I might be missing when I connect it with the JC-2? Please note that, both the TVC and the JC-2 were connected to the A21 using XLR cables.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

The rear panel on the A21 has two gain knobs. Turn them down a bit and you're all set!

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"