• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maab2413
    • May 2006

How to change the operating voltage in A52

Hello people.
    I am Miguel from Zaragoza (SPAIN)
    I buy the parasound halo a52 in ebay united states, i want to know how to change the power voltage the 110 v to 220 v.
    Someone help me with this.

Thanks you very much.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Here goes:

A52 Conversion Instructions from 120V to 230V

All wiring changes should be performed on power supply/standby board B4061
    • Move jumper JP26 to JP25
    • Move White lead from P4 & Yellow lead from P9 to P5 & P6
    • Change AC fuse on rear palel from 15A Slow Blow to 8A Slow Blow fuse

Hope that helps :T If you don't have a clear grasp of what the above instructions imply, then I strongly suggest that you have your local electronics repair shop do the work with these instructions at hand. There is no room for error when rewiring the internal circuits!

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Heya, Miguel, welcome to Club Parasound and the Guide! :banana: I've spent a bit of time in Zaragoza myself, actually. (supporting the Space Shuttle of all things--long story) Really enjoyed my time there. Zaragoza more than any other place in the world really stood out to me with the LATE operations, having dinner at 10 PM, etc. I went into a popular night club in Zaragoza at midnight on a Friday night, and it was DEAD. Wasn't going to get started for several hours.

In any case, what I would stongly recommend is that if you bought the A52 off eBay from the US, that you contact Parasound, have your buyer ship it to direct to Parasound in San Francisco for the modification, and then have them ship it to you. I think you'll find that they're very accomodating.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
        In any case, what I would stongly recommend is that if you bought the A52 off eBay from the US, that you contact Parasound, have your buyer ship it to direct to Parasound in San Francisco for the modification, and then have them ship it to you. I think you'll find that they're very accomodating.
        Yes, if the unit is still in the US, then this is the way to go, assuming that the seller is willing to go through the hassle of sending it to Parasound for modification. (Somebody selling his Parasound on eBay is less likely to do this. Selling Parasound on eBay usually means that the seller wants a quick hassle-free transaction. IMHO it would be better to look for a "motivated seller" on Audiogon...)

However, if the unit is in Spain, it is not an option...

Peter
        Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 22:42 Tuesday.

Comment

• maab2413
          • May 2006

Hello all.
          Chris D i am very happy with you because you are very happy in zaragoza, when you coming here say me please.
          I see my A52 and the P4 is red cable and the P1 is white, whichone the cable correct? (P4 or P1).
          Could you send me pictures please?.
          Thanks you.
          Last edited by Chris D; 02 February 2007, 23:56 Friday.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Sometimes the colors don't match. I have seen this myself. I suggest that you bring the unit to a professional shop, but if you want to be adventurous, move P4 to P5 and move P9 to P6. That should work regardless of what color the cables are...

DON'T TOUCH P1! It should not be moved. (The factory may have interchanged P1 and P4. However, if this is the case, then you need to move P1 to P5 and also move P4 to P1 to reverse the factory interchange. In any case, this is not needed and I would not attempt it without further examination of the circuits! To put it in other words: When configuring for 230V, P1 and P5 should be connected. P4 should be disconnected.)

I only have JC-1s, so no pictures for your A52. Sorry...

Peter

Comment

• maab2413
              • May 2006

I change cables and the amplifier does not ignite.
              Before making no change I ignite the amplifier to 230V and i hear a noise inside.
              you know that it can happen?
              Thanks you.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Did you remember to also change the jumper setting?

Peter

Comment

• maab2413
                  • May 2006

I do not change jumper or cable when i prove.
                  The amplifier is configured in 110V when i connect to 230V
                  I now to change cables and jumper. I need the fuse to connect.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by maab2413
                    I do not change jumper or cable when i prove.
                    The amplifier is configured in 110V when i connect to 230V
                    I now to change cables and jumper. I need the fuse to connect.
                    Ouch! If you plugged it in without doing all the changes, then you probably burned out the fuse. There is also a big risk that you burned some internal components (signal transformer or circuit board paths)...

Originally posted by maab2413
                    Before making no change I ignite the amplifier to 230V and i hear a noise inside.
                    I think it's safe to say that you "fried" the unit by doing this. NEVER try to power a unit configured for 110V with 230V. It will fry it. Sometimes with smoke and fire. Sometimes just a silent pop. RIP! :#

The solution now is to send it in to Parasound for service...

Peter

Comment

• arky
                      • Jan 2014

Hello. Here are the pics of how-to and the unit successfully rewired to 220v:

Actually you have to pull out yellow and white and contact it together on P5-P6 pins. Red shall remain either on P4 or P1 (they are also connected), and never touch the black one (p10 in my case). P26 to P25 makes the standby small transformer operating.

As for that unlucky guy who powered 120v unit on 220 - apparently he fried this small transformer, which is quite simple to replace.

Greetings from Russia. Take care.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Much thanks for this, Arky! Welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

DO NOT TRUST THE COLOR OF THE WIRING!

I have seen a HALO A21 and a couple JC1s where the colors of transformer wiring did not match. You need to use a multimeter to identify the wiring.

Also make sure to move the jumper present in most HALO units.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by arky
                            As for that unlucky guy who powered 120v unit on 220 - apparently he fried this small transformer, which is quite simple to replace.
                            Another guy who did this mistake with his JC1 told me that his local shop said all output transistors were burnt out. However, if the main transformer was correctly rewired, then it may only be a matter of having to replace the small transformer.

If you don't rewire the main transformers and power up the 120V unit on 240V, the output stage will see double the voltage and apparently the transistors can't handle that. This is why it is crucial to correctly identify the windings. If you make a mistake, you may end up buing a new amp.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"