X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

12v trigger can I use a stereo cable 3.5mm 1/8

I read in a few threads that some people said you can use a 1/8 3.5mm stereo jack instead of a mono, cable as a 12v trigger. Is this true or will I blow up my Krells as I haven't found a mono 3.5 cable yet here in France
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
    I read in a few threads that some people said you can use a 1/8 3.5mm stereo jack instead of a mono, cable as a 12v trigger. Is this true or will I blow up my Krells as I haven't found a mono 3.5 cable yet here in France
    Yes, that will work fine -- however, did you check that your Krells are 12V (some amps are only 5V)

Peter

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Yeah, Its definitely 12v. Actually I am using the C1 with the Krells now as I have 2 cables. I bought 2 more stereo jacks as I couldn't find the mono for hooking up the rcd 1072 Rotel cd player which only shuts off with a 12v trigger.

post note: I tried a stereo jack and it works fine. I think its better to have it turn on and off with power than to "sense" the signal, because if you happen to flip thru sources for a moment you shut off the cd and have to start all over. Just having it come on and off with the system is fine.

Thanks again Peter

ps I used to date a Finnish Girl way back when......
      Last edited by misterdoggy; 20 June 2005, 07:57 Monday.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Ummm... okay. Kind of random P.S. there, but heck, grab every chance you can to brag about stuff like that!
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
          Ummm... okay. Kind of random P.S. there, but heck, grab every chance you can to brag about stuff like that!
          Chris,

At my age bragging is all that's left......
          Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 22:00 Thursday.

Comment

• mitch57
            • Nov 2004

I found that a 3.5mm stereo adapter to a 2.5mm jack will not work with the Parasound A51. It definitely requires a 3.5mm mono to 2.5mm mono connector.

This brings up another point which I don't understand. Why does Parasound use a 2.5mm trigger jack on the A51 but most pre/pros and receivers use the 3.5mm jack. Including Parasounds own C1 and C2. I don't get it. What's the reasoning behind that?
            Mitch
            :stupidpc:

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Hey, good question. Never thought of it--and have no idea what the answer is.

Maybe it's like those air filters on Apollo 13--the LEM has round filters, the moon lander has square filters. (or was it the other way?)
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                • Nov 2004

I don't know but I had a heck of time trying to find an adapter. Rat Shack was clueless. Parasound is sending me one 2nd day air so I can finsih auditioning the A51.

Chris,

How are you turning on your A51? Manually? Audio Signal? I found the audio signal to be to finnicky. No matter what I set the adjustment knob to it either wouldn't turn it on reliably or it would shut off while I was watching Sat TV.
                Mitch

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mitch57
                  I found that a 3.5mm stereo adapter to a 2.5mm jack will not work with the Parasound A51. It definitely requires a 3.5mm mono to 2.5mm mono connector.
                  A 3.5mm stereo <=> 2.5mm stereo adaptor WILL work. If you run stereo ALL the way, there will be no problem. Combining stereo and mono converters/cables may lead to problems:

Any kind of stereo-to-mono wiring is likely to fail, because these adaptors sometimes short the left+right. This does not work. If a stereo plug is used, the left channel is positive trigger [+] and the right channel will be the same as the common, i.e. negative trigger [-]. If left and right are shortened by the adapter, you have a problem :B

Originally posted by mitch57
                  This brings up another point which I don't understand. Why does Parasound use a 2.5mm trigger jack on the A51 but most pre/pros and receivers use the 3.5mm jack. Including Parasounds own C1 and C2. I don't get it. What's the reasoning behind that?
                  This might be some legacy issue with backwards compability with other Parasound equipment. Or possibly it is a design issue (the 2.5mm jack is easier to incorporate).

Peter

Comment

• mitch57
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                    A 3.5mm stereo <=> 2.5mm stereo adaptor WILL work. If you run stereo ALL the way, there will be no problem. Combining stereo and mono converters/cables may lead to problems:
                    I used a Stereo trigger wire with a stereo adapter. It didn't work. Only the mono trigger wire with the mono adapter worked.
                    Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Mitch, I've got the A21 daisy-chained to the A21 that goes to the autotrigger. It works absolutely fine--I've never had a single problem with it. Both turn on when I turn on the C1, and shut off when I shut it off.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Mitch, I've got the A21 daisy-chained to the A21 that goes to the autotrigger. It works absolutely fine--I've never had a single problem with it. Both turn on when I turn on the C1, and shut off when I shut it off.
                        In other words your using the 9-12V DC trigger from the C1 to the trigger in on your A21 which has a trigger out wire going to the trigger in wire on the other A21.

Do I have that correct? I'm just trying to gage if anyone is using the auto signal sensing feature and having it work consistently and reliably.
                        Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 22:00 Thursday.
                        Mitch

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Whoops... you're right, I had a couple typos. Using your sentence again,

I'm using the 9-12V DC trigger from the C1 to the trigger IN on my A51 which has a trigger OUT wire going to the trigger IN wire on my A21.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

How much do I win for digging up a ten year old thread?

I was actually googling 12v trigger stereo vs mono and found this thread. I know it's the Parasound club but I've got a Denon 2307CI -> Emotiva XPA-5 amp and it's strange, everywhere I look people say use 1/8" mono -> 1/8" mono. That doesn't work for me but stereo does. So the question is, what is going on here? Are all the brands different or something? I mean it's a simple voltage on/off so it seems like it shouldn't matter.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

No offense to Roy Rogers, but I hate triggers! LOL.

I have always somehow got by and made this work Chuck, but I am not sure what to tell you here. Watch out, sometimes Kevin whacks people that dig up old threads, lol. JK.
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by impala454
                                I was actually googling 12v trigger stereo vs mono and found this thread. I know it's the Parasound club but I've got a Denon 2307CI -> Emotiva XPA-5 amp and it's strange, everywhere I look people say use 1/8" mono -> 1/8" mono. That doesn't work for me but stereo does. So the question is, what is going on here? Are all the brands different or something? I mean it's a simple voltage on/off so it seems like it shouldn't matter.
                                The connectors different brands use could well be different. Usually its a 1/8" mono - mono, but some might use a stereo socket and then if you attach a mono (male) plug depending how things work, you may be shorting out terminals on he connector. Equally a few use non-standard systems like Arcam who put a stereo jack on their processor to provide two trigger connections.

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Ah, I wonder if Denon did that as well. Though mine does have two separate trigger ports. It could be the Emotiva too, I'm not sure which. All I know is mono doesn't work and stereo does, just thought it was strange. That kinda implies that it's *only* using the middle part of the connector.
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
                                    • Aug 2000

I guess it depends on whether the company uses a mono or stereo jack for their trigger outputs, and how they wire them up.

Originally posted by Lex
                                    Watch out, sometimes Kevin whacks people that dig up old threads, lol. JK.
                                    Hmmm... <clicky> admin control panel <clicky> impala454 <clicky> move to spammer group <clicky> wait a sec, how'd he get 3,794 posts? <clicky> Wait, he's an ultra senior? Maybe not a spammer? <clicky> well, dodged a bullet there. haha J/K.

Actually when I clicked this thread and saw posts from 2005, I went to the end just to see *who* did bump it back up. Sometimes spammers do just that, because they're idiots. They think they'll slip under the radar, but in reality it just makes them easier to spot.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"