X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool deal! sikoniko, you're welcome here anytime as a Parasound enthusiast, whether you actually own the stuff or not.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• bhuskins
      • Aug 2003

You could always just pick up another HCA750 on ebay...

Brent Huskins
      Media Design

Comment

• rocasi
        • Dec 2003

Just the basics...
        My system: http://www.prontoweb.com/klipsch_HT.htm

Comment

• Jeff Mayer
          • Mar 2006

Rocasi - Fantastic theater. Nice Job. I'd like to post a picture or two of my setup. Not nearly as theater dedicated. Much more hybrid -living, music, and basic movie watching space. It's not even ideal for music listening because of space/furniture (Piano) compromise. Pictures coming soon..

Jeff

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Mmmm... Rocasi, I like that look. Nice and simple, but there's a sturdiness and refined look to that rack. :T
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• r100gs
              • May 2005

Originally posted by rocasi
              Just the basics...

Looks kinda like my system, but mine is stereo. I think I spy a VTI rack.
              Jay

Comment

• kfr01
                • Jan 2006

VTI. Not the best racks, but one the best values in racks. It is what I plan on buying for my new HT.
                Karl
                My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
                Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• r100gs
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by kfr01
                  VTI. Not the best racks, but one the best values in racks. It is what I plan on buying for my new HT.

Yes VTI is a great rack for the price. I was amazed how all the foot spikes all lined up perfectly. These guys know how to weld something square.
                  Jay

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I was surfing the Salamander Designs website today, who made both my equipment racks and my theater seating. Came across this picture. Anybody recognize the equipment on the middle shelves there?

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• r100gs
                      • May 2005

Looks like a P3 and an A23 maybe.
                      Jay

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Just got home, with this stack waiting for me:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• nicholtl
                          • Aug 2003

Christmas at Chris' house! Let's all go! Who's bringing the keg??

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Here's the pic post I added to my Zcustom thread:

So here's pics of some of the equipment, but not all. What I'm thinking, is break up my Zcustom equipment into two different "Zetups". One Zetup is for my theater, which would be the Zhd and one Zbreeze. Right now I've got them on top of my equipment rack for testing and evaluation, and will be rack mounting them later tonight.

The next "Zetup" will be a mini-system for use in my office. (at home or work, depending on my ever-changing duties in my job) It will be the Ztuner v.2, Zpre2, two Zamp v.3's, and one Zbreeze. I've been testing out the system with a pair of Klipsch KSB 1.1 bookshelf speakers, and for now only using one Zamp v.3. I'll add the second one later.

Well, well, well! Lookie what showed up from the UPS man today, one day early! :banana: New Cat Cables! I got a set of Coppercat interconnectors and a pair of Cattail speaker cables from Doug. Check out those awesome banana plugs on one end of the cables, and the KICK A$$ spades on the others!

Here you can see the spades hooked up to the backside of my Klipsch bookshelf speakers. I can't believe how beefy those spades are. I had to go with spades, because those dinky little plastic plugs you see in the middle of my Klipsch jacks don't come out. :wtf: Grrrr... Unfortunately, because the spade connectors are so beefy, the only way I could connect them was if I slid them in from the top of the speaker, not the bottom. So you'll see in the other pics that the cables come up by the speaker, then down the back to the jacks, instead of coming up from the bottom. Oh, well.

Here's some of my new Parasound Zcustom equipment, which is what I got the Cat Cables for.

And here's more of a closeup of the equipment stack itself. Dang, I wish I had gotten the focus a little better.

Here's the back of the equipment. All the cables you see are Cat Cables, with the exception of the small 12 volt triggers and the power cables. The top cables I actually bought off of Erik Farstad several years ago... I think they're Doug's early versions of Silvercats. You can see the banana connector ends of the Cattail speaker cables here, I think they're awesome too. I've never seen connectors like that before, where the screw sleeves come down and slide the inner pin into the banana extension, locking the connection as it locks the connector as well. Very nice.

Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 11:59 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                              I've never seen connectors like that before, where the screw sleeves come down and slide the inner pin into the banana extension, locking the connection as it locks the connector as well. Very nice.
                              Nothing new to us WBT users They are probably WBT clones (or maybe the real thing?). For all I know, WBT is the original inventor of this style of connector. WBT connectors are expensive at $20/plug. Clones can be had for much less...

FYI, WBT makes RCA connectors that lock the same way...

Peter
                              Last edited by Chris D; 13 August 2011, 23:59 Saturday.

Comment

• kfr01
                                • Jan 2006

Why not just take the connectors off on the speaker side?

They serve no sonic purpose.
                                Karl
                                My Chain: PC Audio (EAC + FLAC) --> USB --> PS Audio Digital Link III USB DAC --> Exodus XLR's -->
                                Parasound Halo P3 --> Exodus XLR's --> Parasound HCA3500 --> Custom Exodus Audio 2641 Speakers

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Karl, do you mean the spades? Run the speaker wire directly into the jacks? I suppose you could always do that with any speaker jack, but I'd like to have a little more modular capability, I guess.

Yeah, Peter, talking to Doug, the banana plugs are WBT clones, but the spades are actual WBT connectors. Pretty pricy.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chetk
                                    • May 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                                    Christmas at Chris' house! Let's all go! Who's bringing the keg??
                                    Eh? Don't you mean the spiked egg nog? :^x :beer: :drinker:

I think you guys have inspired me to take some pics tonight and post them. They'll be up soon.

Comment

• nbourbaki
                                      • Jul 2006

I had to purchase a new rack to fit everything but now that everythings in it's proper place, it looks great to me. I had to enlist my son to place the A51, as it was too heavy for me to lift on my own.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• kfr01
                                        • Jan 2006

Karl, do you mean the spades? Run the speaker wire directly into the jacks? I suppose you could always do that with any speaker jack, but I'd like to have a little more modular capability, I guess.
                                        Yep, that's what I mean. The spades serve absolutely no sonic purpose and I do not know of a single binding post that doesn't accept bare wire. :-) Doesn't get much more modular than universal.
                                        Last edited by Chris D; 14 August 2011, 00:03 Sunday.
                                        Karl

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Yep, that's what I mean. The spades serve absolutely no sonic purpose
                                          Correct, but they may possibly serve an electrochemical purpose: Bare copper oxidates - and who knows what when exposed to sweat, grease and other chemicals you may have on your hands...

Bare wires are of course ideal, but requires more work and careful handling. Cut and strip the wires every time you make a new connection. Don't touch the stripped wire with your bare hands. Make sure that no single strand escapes and causes a short...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

nbourbaki, nice rack. Yeah, that A51 is quite the beast, isn't it? One thing you may want to consider is buying the Salamander rackmount inserts so you can rackmount that big A51.

Hey, Peter, I've wondered about that--if you're not supposed to touch the bare wire, how do you twist the exposed ends? Or do you just leave the exposed strands straight?
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• nbourbaki
                                              • Jul 2006

Thanks Chris. It's a work in progress. What's the advantage to rack mounting?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Hey, Peter, I've wondered about that--if you're not supposed to touch the bare wire, how do you twist the exposed ends? Or do you just leave the exposed strands straight?
                                                Usually you need to twist them. Sometimes it is possible to cut the insulation and twist the end while you're pulling off the insulation. If this is not possible, use a pair of (rubber) gloves.

Peter
                                                Last edited by Chris D; 14 August 2011, 00:05 Sunday.

Comment

• kfr01
                                                  • Jan 2006

Well - I was just trying to offer a friendly suggestion to Chris's speaker-wire-from-the-top problem. :-)

As for the concerns about twisting wire with bare hands... I find it -very- dubious that twisting bare wire with bare hands will result in an audible difference over the fancy WBT spades. Shoot, I find it dubious that it would even make a -measurable- difference. Last I heard, CAT used high quality copper -- even if an end were exposed for a couple decades there would likely be no audible difference.

A case of the audiophile nervosas going around, perhaps? ;-)
                                                  Karl

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

As for the concerns about twisting wire with bare hands... I find it -very- dubious that twisting bare wire with bare hands will result in an audible difference over the fancy WBT spades.
                                                    Maybe not short term, but possibly long term. Some installations run for years and years unmodified and untouched. This is where it may be a question of success or failure.

For the ones of us that like to reconnect everything with a few months interval, it is hardly an issue...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Sure, I think you're right Karl, that touching the bare wire won't induce an audible difference by itself. As I understand the point, though, is that any contaminants on the wire will cause oxidation and contamination on the wire over time.
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

I don't think I ever posted these pictures, from Parasound's press release site. The larger pictures of them are really beautiful, but VERY large, so just click on the links I posted below each picture if you want to see the larger ones.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• eraserhead
                                                          • Apr 2005

been a long time parasound owner - finally got around to posing a few pictures @ http://gear.eraserhead.org

There should be more up there by sunday.
                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• nbourbaki
                                                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by eraserhead
                                                            been a long time parasound owner - finally got around to posing a few pictures @ http://gear.eraserhead.org

There should be more up there by sunday.
                                                            Very nice setup :T How do you like the Legacy Whisper? They look fantastic. What is the center speaker?

Comment

• eraserhead
                                                              • Apr 2005

those are actually the whisper HD. brand spanking new - i got the 1st pair off the line (they were ordered nearly 10 months ago to the date).

they're, in a word, incredible.

the center is an M&K s150c - i am waiting on my marquis HD to be built and am using it in the interim. i suspect the marquis will match up much better with the whispers.

next stop will be getting jc1's for the whispers. Given their efficiency - i didn't think jc1 would be necessary - driving them with an a51 - i'm feeling that i could use a "little more".

Comment

• Rjca
                                                                • Feb 2007

jc2 Pre Amp

Hi I am new to this forum and would like to say it is so refreshing to find it as parasound and in particular the halo range is such outstanding value and quality.
                                                                I have been looking at the amount of HiFi boxes you guys have in your systems and was wondering if you had problems utilizing everything and system synergy.

My System
                                                                Marantz – transport
                                                                Stello DA220 – DAC
                                                                Krell KAV400XI – Integrated Amp
                                                                Parasound JC1 – Power Amps
                                                                Linn Espek – Floor standing speakers
                                                                Mission – Bookshelf Speakers/Stands
                                                                Home Made Equipment Rack

I have been trying to put together 2 systems but use the same source as I live in an apartment and cranking up the jc1’s and linn espeks at night is not an option. So I purchased a Krell KAV400xi and some bookshelf speakers for evening listening. With the hope I could use the pre outs of the krell to run the jc1’s, it sounds terrible. So I am using the SPDIF out of my PC straight into the DAC then to the parasounds which sounds pretty good.

I am particularly interested in adding the jc2 and was wondering has anyone heard it yet and how it would improve the sound of the jc1’s. Until now I have only ever owned integrated amps, is a good pre amp nothing more than a transparent switching device?
                                                                If I add a pre amp I would need to power up 5 devices just to listen to a cd and I want integrate home theatre as well shortly oh and build another rack.
                                                                Attached Files

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Rjca
                                                                  I am particularly interested in adding the jc2 and was wondering has anyone heard it yet and how it would improve the sound of the jc1’s. Until now I have only ever owned integrated amps, is a good pre amp nothing more than a transparent switching device?
                                                                  Yes, that's pretty much what the JC2 and P7 are. Switching device with Volume Control (with emphasis on the volume control, as that is probably the most important reason why you need the preamp). Note that there is a difference between preamp and processor. A processor will decode/process a signal. The C1/C2 are processors. The JC2 is a stereo preamp and the P7 is a multichannel preamp.

If I add a pre amp I would need to power up 5 devices just to listen to a cd.
                                                                  No. You can use the trigger output of the preamp or processor. One click on the remote powers on all your stuff...

and I want integrate home theatre as well shortly oh and build another rack.
                                                                  The P7 may be a better option than the JC2 if you want to do multichannel. Otherwise you'll end up needing a JC2+P7, or JC2+C2 combo. The latter will also be a bit more tricky to operate than a single P7, so I'd have a good look at the P7 and start out with it first...

BTW, those JC1s are cooking in that rack! I bet you can't run them in high bias (or if you do, you are slowly burning them out). The JC1s need to be well ventilated with at least 6" (15cm) clearance on the top.... Best solution: Put the JC1s on their own amp stands next to the speakers and run balanced (XLR) from the preamp. Use speaker cables that are 3' (1m) or shorter.

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Heya, Rjca, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Rjca
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2007

Hi Peter, that is a lot to think about. Will try and audition the P7.
                                                                      You are right the amp on top gets very warm with the other one underneath it. I used granite shelving to try and absorb some of the heat. I have 10cm between them including the shelf.

Hey Chris
                                                                      thanks for the welcome

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

I used granite shelving to try and absorb some of the heat.
                                                                        The granite plate will not protect your equipment. It just acts as a capacitor. When you power up your equipment it is cold. At first, while still cold, it will indeed absorb the heat and stop the heat from reaching the next level. However, when it has fully heated up (in an hour or two), it will just serve as a hot plate. It will radiate just as much energy as it absorbs... When you turn off your equpment, it will continue to emit heat for an hour or so until it has cooled down... Simple laws of physics. Energy cannot just disappear. It has to go somewhere. Adding a fan will of course help a lot to disperse the enery into the surrounding air...

Peter

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Sep 2006

Tried this a few nights ago...

But the pics were over the limit. Now that the camera has been adjusted...

Time Warner's box and a 20 yr old JVC cd player are on the top, next is a Roku Soundbridge and Panamax 5400 conditioner, the C2 is next, and the A52 anchors it all down.

Speakers include Triangle Antals (mains), Triangle Titus (surrounds), Triangle NOXA Major (center), and Triangle Meteor 0.1.5 (sub).

Rack is a Sanus Euro.

Cables are from Cobalt Cable.

TV is not worth mentioning.

Looking to replace the JVC (and have posted questions in a few other places) with a universal disc player. I have considered the Denon 2910, Denon 955, Oppo 970, and Cambridge DVD89. Any insight to those would be appreciated.
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 1188

Originally posted by eddiespaghetti
                                                                            Time Warner's box and a 20 yr old JVC cd player are on the top.
                                                                            Looking good... But does not your local TWC offer a silver box to better match the other gear? My TWC box is silver, but OTOH it has HD and DVR... (I vaguely recall that they only offered the DVR models in silver at the time I asked...)

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

Reposted in large size for you:

Looks good! :T
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Sep 2006
                                                                                • 33

Reposted in large size for you:

Looks good! :T
                                                                                Thanks, and thanks.

I thought I had posted the pics where the non-flash was a bit steadier. and the flash pic *after* I removed the dust

DOH! :thud:

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2006
                                                                                  • 33

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                                                                                  Looking good... But does not your local TWC offer a silver box to better match the other gear? My TWC box is silver, but OTOH it has HD and DVR... (I vaguely recall that they only offered the DVR models in silver at the time I asked...)
                                                                                  Thanks. Once I upgrade the video side of the house to HD, I'll go back and beat on TWC for a silver box .

Comment

• rgt
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2005
                                                                                    • 11

Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum but never posted my system, so here goes:

Martin Logan Summits - front speakers
                                                                                    Martin Logan Theater i - center
                                                                                    Martin Logan Descent - Sub
                                                                                    Boston Acoustic VRi 595 - surrounds
                                                                                    Parasound Halo A21
                                                                                    Parasound Halo A51
                                                                                    Parasound Halo T3 - tuner
                                                                                    Kenwood Entre
                                                                                    Kenwood DV 5900M - DVD
                                                                                    Fujitsu 63" Plasma - Display
                                                                                    Monster Auto Voltage Stabilizer AVS 2000SS
                                                                                    Monster Power Conditioner HTPS 7000
                                                                                    RGPC 400 Pro Power Generator

Here's the pics attached
                                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Dec 2000
                                                                                      • 16877

Whoa, rgt, that's a serious setup!
                                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

Pics posted here from CEDIA of the JC-2 and D3, used by PMC to demo their high-end 2-channel speakers. Please excuse the picture quality; cameras are not allowed at CEDIA, but PMC let me snap a few shots using my cell phone camera.

The D3 was hooked up to the JC-2 by a pair of balanced cables. The amps powering the big speakers you see on the ends are actually stacks of three different Bryston amps per speaker. I didn't think to ask at the show, and can't figure out what speakers those big ones are that were the main part of the demo, but I think they're some version of the BB5 XBD-A, made by PMC:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Loffen
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2005
                                                                                          • 53

Just a bad pic of the last update.
                                                                                          I will see if I manage to do something better at a later time.
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Loffen
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                                            • 53

And now maybe with a signature ?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"