X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joawen
    • Mar 2006

Bridging ca-5200?

Hi, i need to ask what you think.
    I have a very silent room and love my ca-2200 for 2channel listening. I do however often listen to 5.0 material and want to expand. My fronts are the old 801series3 and in my mind i could bridge a ca-5200 to get more headroom for those two and then have 200 for the center and i can use my ca-2200 for the surrounds, possible?
    Last edited by Joawen; 24 February 2019, 09:52 Sunday.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

You would have to rig up a bridging adapter for the XLR inputs assuming that your source component is a balanced source. Otherwise, you will have to find some other device to implement this.
    Also, since it is not a published/supported option from the manufacturer, you are on your own.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Joawen
      • Mar 2006

That sounds positive Kal? The source for the fronts is the CP-500 and yes, balanced. So no need worrying about having 2 bridged channels and 1 not in the same stage?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Well, you need to rig up a pair of XLR-to-2XLR Y-cables with one leg on each inverted polarity (and then keep your fingers crossed). The bridged and unbridged channels should not affect each other.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

I asked Classe this question a few years ago, this is what I got back:

"As for bridging the CA-5200, you would need to create yourself a custom input cable. This is a XLR cable but with signal pins 2 & 3 reversed. You need one reversed cable and one standard cable to make this work. Keep in mind that you cannot use the single ended inputs to bridge the CA-5200. These cables are to be used between the preamp and the CA-5200 XLR inputs.
          As for the outputs of the CA-5200, you will need to link both ground posts of each amplifier pair used for bridging. So the 2 black (-) posts need to be linked with a big gauge wire. The output to the speaker will be the 2 red (+) posts. The standard cable output channel will represent the (+) of the speaker. The reverse cable output channel will represent the (-) of the speaker.
          For example using CH1 & 2 bridged.
          CH1 black post (-)ß(tied together)àCH2 black post (-)
          Standard cable CH1 red post (+)à(+) of speaker
          Reversed cable CH2 red post (+)à(-) of speaker
          Make sure not connect any common grounds to the negative speaker terminal as this will not be a ground, it will be the negative phase (live). Connecting a ground here could possibly blow the amplifier as you would be shorting it. I thought I had a diagram documented for this but we don’t. It is not common practice to bridge Delta I series amplifiers and not recommended."

I thought there was a diagram but can't seem to find it anywhere.

If the CP500 is definitely balanced (as in not just XLR but a balanced signal) you may need to check your source is balanced if feeding with XLR. The CP500 might not rebalance the XLR input (given doing so kind of negates the point of balanced).

Note that I don't think this works on a 5300. Also bear in mind that a bridged amp is a lot more prone to struggling to cope with impedance drops as each half of the amp only sees half the impedance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by TomScrut
            I asked Classe this question a few years ago, this is what I got back:

"As for bridging the CA-5200, you would need to create yourself a custom input cable. This is a XLR cable but with signal pins 2 & 3 reversed. You need one reversed cable and one standard cable to make this work. Keep in mind that you cannot use the single ended inputs to bridge the CA-5200. These cables are to be used between the preamp and the CA-5200 XLR inputs.
            .................................................. ........................
            Also bear in mind that a bridged amp is a lot more prone to struggling to cope with impedance drops as each half of the amp only sees half the impedance.
            Yup. Good instructions.
            FWIW, I intentionally left this out with the purpose of seeing how techy the OP was. If he feels this is easy to do (I do), he should try it. OTOH, I do not encourage anyone who would need clarification/interpretation of those clear instructions.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Joawen
              • Mar 2006

Excellent instructions! As you point out it's the impedance that is the culprit.

Otherwise this would be such an easy way to create a 2400(+1200) that many would go that way!
              I was looking at a 5300 but don't like the fan, i think the 2200 is a fantastic poweramplifier and love that sound!

When i get a hold of a 5200 i will definately try the above, if it's no big advantage on the 801's i will just sell the 2200 and be happy with 5x200!
              Ton of thanks to you both!
              /Joakim

Comment

• canAre
                • Nov 2018

BRIDGING PROCEDURE
                1. Ensure that the amplifier(s)/Pre-amp/Processor are OFF and disconnected from all power supplies
                2. Using a good gauge speaker cable (preferably 10 gauge or better) connect the amplifier’s negative outputs of the 2 channels that you want to bridge.
                3. Take the LEFT speaker cable and connect the positive end to Channel 1 and the negative end to Channel 2.
                4. Repeat as necessary for the other channels/ amplifiers
                5. Using the XLR “Y” cable, connect the MALE NON-inverted end to the amplifier’s CH1 XLR input, and the MALE INVERTED to the amplifier’s CH2 XLR input.
                6. Repeat as necessary for the other channels/amplifiers.
                7. Take the female end of the XLR “Y” cable and connect it to the LEFT XLR output on your Pre-amp/ Processor.
                8. Repeat as necessary, connecting the female end of the XLR “Y” cable to the appropriate input on your Pre-amp/ Processor for the other channels/amplifiers.

Note on Bridging Delta Multichannel Amplifiers:
                When bridging multi channel Delta amplifiers the best sound is delivered by bridging the channels that are physically closest to each other (channel 1 with channel 4; channel 3 with channel 5).

Eric

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"