X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Classe SSP-800 HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 upgrade

Hi,

Does anyone know when Classe will be announcing the upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0/2.0a?

I was thinking of grabbing a SSP-800, but it makes it a lot harder to integrate when the 4K content won't do all the features that the other components will do. I love/want the sound of the classe for movies....but it's limiting factor is that it doesn't do the features that I'd like to have used...

I had heard some rumbling that new updated board should become available soon. I'm just curious about roughly when??!?

Otherwise I'll go grab one from Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, or Anthem and just live without the better sound.

I already have a CP-800 for stereo listening, so that's not a worry.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • Patrick Butler
    • Jan 2014

Hi PewterTA,

The SSP-800/CT-SSP will not be receiving further hardware updates. The Sigma SSP will receive a new DSP and HDMI board which features 4K, HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 capabilities. Eta for those updates is February.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
    B&W Group North America

Originally posted by PewterTA
    Hi,

Does anyone know when Classe will be announcing the upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0/2.0a?

I was thinking of grabbing a SSP-800, but it makes it a lot harder to integrate when the 4K content won't do all the features that the other components will do. I love/want the sound of the classe for movies....but it's limiting factor is that it doesn't do the features that I'd like to have used...

I had heard some rumbling that new updated board should become available soon. I'm just curious about roughly when??!?

Otherwise I'll go grab one from Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, or Anthem and just live without the better sound.

I already have a CP-800 for stereo listening, so that's not a worry.

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

I also presume there is a new Delta SSP coming out soon anyway?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Patrick Butler
        • Jan 2014

Not this year.

Regards,

Patrick
        B&W Group North America

Originally posted by TomScrut
        I also presume there is a new Delta SSP coming out soon anyway?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mortyre
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Patrick Butler
          Hi PewterTA,

The SSP-800/CT-SSP will not be receiving further hardware updates. The Sigma SSP will receive a new DSP and HDMI board which features 4K, HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 capabilities. Eta for those updates is February.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
          B&W Group North America
          Hello Patrick,

Thank for your feedback. I'm very surprise and disapointed ops::cry::evil:

I have read that your president Dave Nauber don't say that on this interview (2014) :

He said : Once we see some stability, we will design an HDMI 2.x video board and offer an upgrade, just as we did
          with the SSP-800. Classé has the credibility to say it’s not important now and we will upgrade the
          product when the time is right. We were the first high-end audio company with HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4
          and we will watch this closely to determine the best time to offer an upgrade. That’s what your
          customers need to know.

Can you explain the decision of B&W to stop the development of SSP800 and don't propose an last update of hdmi board ? And why have you waited so long before announced it officialy ?

regards

Comment

• Patrick Butler
            • Jan 2014

Hello Mortyre,

Thank you for your post. While I can't speak for Dave Nauber, I can give you a little professional insight that might help you understand where we are with the SSP800, and the development of surround processors in general.

The SSP800 came to market in 2008, and built into that processor are all the limitations of circa 2007 technology. A degree of flexibility was built into the SSP800 as evidenced by DSP and HDMI board upgrades that have been offered. However, the world does not stay still, and Classé developed a new processor that came to market in 2014. While not offering support for as many output channels, the Sigma SSP- technically and sonically, is superior to the SSP800. It also does not have the same limitations in architecture which allowed Classé to develop newer DSP and HDMI upgrades for the Sigma SSP.

In the document that you referenced called What does Classé have to say about 4K video and HDMI 2.0?, the quote that you posted was listed under the section "What does all this mean for the Sigma SSP?" The context of the quote is that we developed upgrades for the SSP800 in the past, and will be doing the same for the Sigma SSP. True to form, we should be seeing an HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 and Atmos/DTS:X DSP upgrade offered next month for about $1k US.

Getting to your main question, why would Classé stop offering upgrades to the SSP800? First, the architecture of the SSP800 will not allow for the addition of Atmos or DTS:X support. From a sales and manufacturing standpoint, you can't sell processors in meaningful quantities without that feature. Second, let's say it were hypothetically possible to develop a new HDMI 2.0 board for the SSP800 (really hypothetical!) The development time and cost could not be recouped in selling HDMI upgrades to existing customers, and the offering of that board is not going to result in more processor sales. Meanwhile, the resources spent on developing that board would come at the expense of developing a replacement for the SSP800 (which Classé is as I write.) That replacement is critical to sales. Without sales, the development of everything stops.

I hope this clarifies the situation, and I would be happy to answer any further questions that you might have.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
            B&W Group North America

Originally posted by Mortyre
            Hello Patrick,

Thank for your feedback. I'm very surprise and disapointed ops::cry::evil:

I have read that your president Dave Nauber don't say that on this interview (2014) :

He said : Once we see some stability, we will design an HDMI 2.x video board and offer an upgrade, just as we did
            with the SSP-800. Classé has the credibility to say it’s not important now and we will upgrade the
            product when the time is right. We were the first high-end audio company with HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4
            and we will watch this closely to determine the best time to offer an upgrade. That’s what your
            customers need to know.

Can you explain the decision of B&W to stop the development of SSP800 and don't propose an last update of hdmi board ? And why have you waited so long before announced it officialy ?

regards

Comment

• Mortyre
              • Jan 2014

Thank you very much for this answer Patrick

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Thanks Patrick for the info. It's understandable that at some point you can't support the future upgrades to the SSP-800. Which makes me happy I didn't grab one used.

Do you think/feel the Sigma SSP is sonically on the same level as what the Delta was (from some people I've talked with they did not feel the two were equal, delta was a little more refined).

With them not having plans of releasing anything this year, are they working on a matching Delta 3 series Processor that will eventually emerge or are they somewhat separating the sigma for HT and Delta for 2ch?
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                  • Jan 2014

The SSP800 is still a great processor for those with legacy systems (no 3D audio or HDCP 2.2 switching needs.)

A replacement for the SSP-800/CT-SSP is in development, but we'll not see anything from those efforts this year. I think the Sigma SSP is superior to the SSP-800 for multi-channel and especially stereo. The power supplies are better in the Sigma SSP and the main left+right channels are fully balanced all the way to the outputs. Regarding sound, I avoid getting into debates around people's personal experiences with the perceived performance of products because we all come at sound from differing vantage points. One person's "more refined" or warmer, is another's "less resolved" or noisier.

Regards,

Patrick
                  B&W Group North America

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  Thanks Patrick for the info. It's understandable that at some point you can't support the future upgrades to the SSP-800. Which makes me happy I didn't grab one used.

Do you think/feel the Sigma SSP is sonically on the same level as what the Delta was (from some people I've talked with they did not feel the two were equal, delta was a little more refined).

With them not having plans of releasing anything this year, are they working on a matching Delta 3 series Processor that will eventually emerge or are they somewhat separating the sigma for HT and Delta for 2ch?

Comment

• alemolt
                    • Jan 2017

hello Patrick and thanx for every your update.
                    I have actually in my installation a couple of Classe' Audio products: pre mch SSP800 and power amplifier mch CA5100.
                    In your last post you talk about the superiority of the new model Sigma ssp vs my SSP800, what do you think about CA5100 vs Sigma Amp5?
                    It's time to change my loved couple or, maybe, wait the announce of a new Delta series preamp?

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                      • Jan 2014

Hi alemolt,

The CA5100 is a great amp! The only compelling reason to upgrade at this point is if you need more power than you presently have. I'm excited to hear the upcoming Delta Pre when it makes its appearance some months in the future.

Regards,

Patrick
                      B&W Group North America

Originally posted by alemolt
                      hello Patrick and thanx for every your update.
                      I have actually in my installation a couple of Classe' Audio products: pre mch SSP800 and power amplifier mch CA5100.
                      In your last post you talk about the superiority of the new model Sigma ssp vs my SSP800, what do you think about CA5100 vs Sigma Amp5?
                      It's time to change my loved couple or, maybe, wait the announce of a new Delta series preamp?

Comment

• alemolt
                        • Jan 2017

expensive...

Hi alemolt,

The CA5100 is a great amp! The only compelling reason to upgrade at this point is if you need more power than you presently have. I'm excited to hear the upcoming Delta Pre when it makes its appearance some months in the future.

Regards,

Patrick
                        B&W Group North America

Patrick, thanks for your reply. I am also anxious to see what news will bring us the new pre Delta series. At the same time I am a little worried about the price...

Comment

• aarsoe
                          • May 2004

Think it is funny you state that the Sigma is sonically better than the SSP-800. I understand the need from a marketing perspective to support your product but I can tell you first handed that I have heard Sigma installations (a couple of different ones) and they are, at least to me, not in the same class. It may be dependent on the fact that I still feel that "digital" amps sounds clinically compared to class AB and especially class A.
                          I strongly believe that a good "old fashion" DTS-HD 7.1 installation done with superb gear like the SPP-800 and matching Delta amps - will beat most other stuff out there. Especially since we currently only seem to have two classes of processors out there. The mass market ones made by Marantz/Denon and then the massive jump up to the really high-end ones. The only exception seems to be Anthem, but have never been my cup of tea.
                          I will however add that my statement is only valid if you have an installation where you have tuned the room the old fashion way. I really hate DSP correction as I feel it completely kills the dynamic sound. Sure it can something for you if you don't want to spend the time and money to do it the "right" way but not for me thank you..

Comment

• Joawen
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
                            <snip> they are, at least to me, not in the same class.</snip
                            Sssssh, i want to buy a used SSP-800 when ppl start to lust for Atmos and 3D audio etc!

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                              • Jan 2014

Hi aarsoe,

You probably noticed that my statements regarding the SSP800 versus Sigma SSP did not include statements about their companion amplifiers.

Regards,

Patrick
                              B&W Group North America

Originally posted by aarsoe
                              Think it is funny you state that the Sigma is sonically better than the SSP-800. I understand the need from a marketing perspective to support your product but I can tell you first handed that I have heard Sigma installations (a couple of different ones) and they are, at least to me, not in the same class. It may be dependent on the fact that I still feel that "digital" amps sounds clinically compared to class AB and especially class A.
                              I strongly believe that a good "old fashion" DTS-HD 7.1 installation done with superb gear like the SPP-800 and matching Delta amps - will beat most other stuff out there. Especially since we currently only seem to have two classes of processors out there. The mass market ones made by Marantz/Denon and then the massive jump up to the really high-end ones. The only exception seems to be Anthem, but have never been my cup of tea.
                              I will however add that my statement is only valid if you have an installation where you have tuned the room the old fashion way. I really hate DSP correction as I feel it completely kills the dynamic sound. Sure it can something for you if you don't want to spend the time and money to do it the "right" way but not for me thank you..

Comment

• alemolt
                                • Jan 2017

hi Patrick, help me to understand better ...
                                I would like your opinion on a comparison between Sigma SSP + Sigma AMP5 vs Delta SSP800 + Ca5200.
                                I'm interested above all in a comparison in area two channels

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                  • Jan 2014

Hi Alemolt,

The Sigma SSP will be superior to the SSP-800 for stereo, owning to its lower noise power supply and fully balanced operation input to output.

I'd give the edge to the CA5200 for stereo. While the AMP5 does a great job with music in a greatly compacted form compared to the CA-5200, the CA-5200 will probably be a bit more dynamic and open sounding. I write probably, as I've not directly compared the two. The SSP-800 and Sigma SSP I've compared directly using CA-M600 amplifiers.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
                                  B&W Group North America

Originally posted by alemolt
                                  hi Patrick, help me to understand better ...
                                  I would like your opinion on a comparison between Sigma SSP + Sigma AMP5 vs Delta SSP800 + Ca5200.
                                  I'm interested above all in a comparison in area two channels

Comment

• garak
                                    • Jul 2007

Hi Patrick,

I have an SSP-800, and as you know it's getting long in the tooth. I'm getting the itch for an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 processor, but would like to stick with the Delta series. I know you said there will not be a replacement for the SSP-800 this year. However, would you say a replacement is likely by 2018?

Thanks,
                                    Brian

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                      • Jan 2014

Hi Brian,

The short answer- maybe. 2018 is the target.

Regards,

Patrick
                                      B&W Group North America

Originally posted by garak
                                      Hi Patrick,

I have an SSP-800, and as you know it's getting long in the tooth. I'm getting the itch for an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 processor, but would like to stick with the Delta series. I know you said there will not be a replacement for the SSP-800 this year. However, would you say a replacement is likely by 2018?

Thanks,
                                      Brian

Comment

• Distinctive
                                        • Feb 2017

Hi Brian,

Regards,

Patrick
                                        B&W Group North America
                                        What about the other devices in the Delta series?
                                        Based on this picture (if not manipulated or chassis only) the series seems market ready?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                          • Jan 2014

Hi Distinctive,

The two amplifiers were nearly finished engineering samples of the upcoming Delta Mono, and the preamplifier was a CP-800 in the new cosmetics. Definitely not ready.

Regards,

Patrick
                                          B&W Group North America

Originally posted by Distinctive
                                          What about the other devices in the Delta series?
                                          Based on this picture (if not manipulated or chassis only) the series seems market ready?

Comment

• izackary
                                            • Apr 2017

Just coming across this thread as a CT-SSP owner.

Originally posted by Joawen
                                            Sssssh, i want to buy a used SSP-800 when ppl start to lust for Atmos and 3D audio etc!
                                            How about a CT-SSP??

I have been debating letting go of mine to concentrate on 2-channel...

Comment

• Ragman
                                              • Dec 2010

Hi Patrick!

With 2018 nearly over I wanted to ask you if you have any additional updates regarding the new delta SSP.
                                              Incredibly happy with my SSP-800 in all aspects except 4K handling and I really don't want to buy a lesser brand to get this, I'd rather spend my money on a new Classé

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Ragman
                                                Hi Patrick!

With 2018 nearly over I wanted to ask you if you have any additional updates regarding the new delta SSP.
                                                Incredibly happy with my SSP-800 in all aspects except 4K handling and I really don't want to buy a lesser brand to get this, I'd rather spend my money on a new Classé
                                                Given Classe are not owned by B&W anymore I doubt Patrick will be able to help.

If they are developing a new one I suspect it could be related to Denon and Marantz's offerings. So long as the sound boards etc are Classe and the rest is D+M then I think it could be a good match. Well tested AV platform with Classe sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                                                Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"