X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywong
    • Jan 2005

Classe CA5100

I am thinking about upgrading to Classe CA5100 to drive a pair of B&W804S and HTM3S as center. I have the following questions:
    1. it is only 100Wx5, do it have enough power to drive the B&W.
    2. I also heard that the CA5100 may be discontinue soon, anyone know what will be the new replacement?
    3. Is there anyone out there has a CA5100 driving B&W speakers, would like to hear your opinion on how well it sound.

Also, is anyone out there have a CA5100 for sell. Please let me know. Thanks!!
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wywong
    I am thinking about upgrading to Classe CA5100 to drive a pair of B&W804S and HTM3S as center. I have the following questions:
    2. I also heard that the CA5100 may be discontinue soon, anyone know what will be the new replacement?
    3. Is there anyone out there has a CA5100 driving B&W speakers, would like to hear your opinion on how well it sound.

I have a CA5100 powering 4 SCMs's for surrounds. I think it is great! It would probably do fine with the 804s.

I don't know if it will be discontinued, but I'm not surprised. I've asked Dave about their 100w amps before and he has said that they don't sell as well as the 200w amps.

Keep an eye on audiogon for pricing and don't be afraid to make offers. People will usually negotiate.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

I replaced my RMB-1075 (5 x 120) with a CA-5100 to power my 805S, HTM4S and SCMS speakers. I'm still very content I took this path. I even consider it to be one of my best upgrades yet (a bigger improvement than e.g. going from a RSP-1068 to my current SSP-300).
      The salesperson did try to sell me a pair of 804S, for which he believed the CA5100 would not be 'enough'. Than again this is the only person who told me this so far... More people (including some here if I'm not mistaking) share the opinion that a CA-5100 would be sufficient to power a set of 800 series floorstanders, as long as you listen to 'normal' levels and your room is not the equivalent of a footbal stadium.

Good luck and please inform us which route you chose!
      Last edited by weijst; 12 April 2010, 13:15 Monday.
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Classe4me
        • Dec 2007

I started with the CA-5100 and loved it. I did have one instance of some clipping while getting aggressive with the volume on Master and Commander, and it made me take advantage of the upgrade program with my Classe dealer. I was able to trade up for $1800 and there is a $3500 price difference. I have not regretted that move with the exception of the bulk, weight, and difficulty and moving the CA-5200 around. I could handle the CA-5100 alone, unless you want to destroy your back, and beat up the amp and everything in it's way, you will need two people to deal with the CA-5200. I truly think that the extra power brought my Wilson Sophia 2s to life and at the time, that was one of the biggest changes in sound improvement to my system. There is no substitute for power when you need it, and it effortlessly gives me that deep down grunt for low end, and massive power reserves for when I am watching my action movies at loud volume levels. Is there any other way? Haha!

I know that B & Ws tend to enjoy more power to perform to their capabilities, you can see it's not unusual for people to use to CA-M400s for each 800 series or the Nautilus (the actual "snails"). I'm not saying that the Classe 100 watt amp won't power your 804s, as it will with ease. I am saying that if you want them to come to life all the way, give them the power. If you buy used on Audiogon, you can get a like-new amp CA-5200 for less than a CA-5100 sells for new. The used CA-5100 are usually only about $1000 less. Why not get the big boy and if you trade up to larger speakers, you won't have to worry about amplification.

If you don't listen to anything aggressive or loud, the CA-5100 is a great, manageable, wonderful performing amp. It's also much easier to handle. I like the 2" less chassis height as well, measuring 6.75" tall versus the 8.75" of the CA-5200. The CA-5100 is the same height as the SSP-600 and 800s.

You know what you wish to accomplish, what your listening style is, and if you have any future upgrades in mind. Let your conscience be your guide.

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

The CA5200 is a very big power ampli.
          In dimension, kg., BUT more important with a performance not from every "multichannel" ampli.
          The CA5100 is very different inside but is a good ampli. the 100 watt from Classe are very different from the 100 w. Rotel....

The CA5100 with the CP500 going out of production :
          have a CA5100 can be a interesting thing.

B&W speaker "need" a lot of power to give you the best sensation, you can choice of go with bi-amp (2x CA2200) or 2 x Cam400: here is a personal taste!
          Personaly I have listen the 2 combination: The bi-amp give a very transparent sound. :T

Style

Comment

• wywong
            • Jan 2005

After waiting for almost 4 weeks, I finally received the CA5100. It sounds wonderful with my current setup. Much smoother, more detail in the high and more bass at the low. I am completely happy with this upgrade from the Rotel 1075. The Classes sound is amazing. Thanks for all.

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

Great post. Glad that I found this one. Anoter upgrade bug has gotten into me again lol.

Comment

• wywong
                • Jan 2005

I saw your other thread earlier. Here is what I did. I upgrade from the Rotel RSP1068 to Classe SSP-300, sounds are much smoother especially listening to CD music. I would say it is a 45% improvement, then I upgrade my amp from Rotel 1075 to Classe CA5100, i can say my improvement jump up to > 70%. I could hear all the little detail that I miss better, sounds are a lot smoother, better bass. My conclusion is if you can afford it, you should upgrade both amp and processor at the same time to take the full advantage.

Comment

• weijst
                  • Jun 2004

I saw your other thread earlier. Here is what I did. I upgrade from the Rotel RSP1068 to Classe SSP-300, sounds are much smoother especially listening to CD music. I would say it is a 45% improvement, then I upgrade my amp from Rotel 1075 to Classe CA5100, i can say my improvement jump up to > 70%. I could hear all the little detail that I miss better, sounds are a lot smoother, better bass. My conclusion is if you can afford it, you should upgrade both amp and processor at the same time to take the full advantage.
                  I took the same path as you did and experienced it differently: from the 1068 to the SSP300 a moderate improvement. Then came the CA5100, which meant an impressive leap in overall system performance!
                  Last edited by weijst; 08 May 2012, 12:02 Tuesday.
                  Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Bobpaule
                    • Sep 2004

Very excited to try the CA-5100 for the center and surrounds in my Paradigm Signature S8 matched setup.
                    I cannot accomodate the CA-5200 in my Salamander Archetype rack without encroaching on the screen, and
                    the HT is already crowded (combat flight sim and gym).

My CA-2200 has long been waiting for a worthy companion, Sherbourn 5/1500A is going away.

Classe just recently took down all the support information as they are preparing the latest labor camp made component launch,
                    gone are the firmwares and manuals from the website.

B&W though will show old Classe manuals on a Google search:

IT-Reference 20i(amps/sub) & Elite-20PFi(low current) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1)/Sony UBP-X800/AppleTV-64GB/Dell Latitude 5490 w. W15 dock > Marantz-AV8805 & Classé-CP700(bypass)/King-Cobra-all > Epson-LS10500/Carada-1.4/Samsung QN32Q50RAFXZA secondary monitor/music-ARC> Classé CA-2200 & CA-5100, two Zamp v.3 7.4.1> Belden 10AWG/silver/gold > Paradigm-S8v.2-7.1.4(Servo15v2/P-80A)

Comment

• Joawen
                      • Mar 2006

I don't like misinformation;

Are you looking for truly audiophile Music and Home Theatre equipment? Visit the website of Canada's leading Audio Brand Classé to learn more.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"