X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ak77
    • Jun 2008

Cap 2400 (cap 2100 + 2100)

Hi all

I have been reading plenty of threads on this forum for a long time but this is my first post here. Ths site is undoubtedly the best source of information on Classe and B&W products... :T

I have a CAP-2100 powering my B&W 803S. Although 100W is doing wonders but i miss some extra oomph at times. Its like having a 1.9 litre diesel engine with 115 bhp which does good for most of the days but on certain occasions you miss having a 2.0 litre diesal engine with 140 bhp...you know what I mean.

I found this article :W

Has any one tried this conversion of CAP 2100 to CAP 2400? Is this something that has to be done from an authorised dealer or is this a DIY kit? is it worth it?

Thanks
    Andy
    System 1: B&W: 803S; Classe CAP-2100, CDP-102, Chord: Anthem 2 interconnect, Epic super twin cables

System 2: B&W: 685, Rotel: RA-05; Denon 3910; Denon DAB 1800 tuner; Merlin Choppin & Atlas Equator MKII interconnects.
  • chriskak
    • May 2017

Hello Andy,
    Did you manage to find out anything about the kit to ad an extra ca2100 amplifier to the cap2100?
    I have not been able to find any information about this anywhere!!!
    Chris

Comment

• TomScrut
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by chriskak
      Hello Andy,
      Did you manage to find out anything about the kit to ad an extra ca2100 amplifier to the cap2100?
      Chris
      I would hazard a guess that it will be somehow bridging the amps or something similar. I wouldn't think it would be a worthwhile thing to do just better off going to a bigger amp

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• chriskak
        • May 2017

I can't seem to find anyone that has done the upgrade. I am just wondering if it would be that easy??? i wanted to know if i had to do anything internal on the amps.
        It will get me from 100w to 400wpc. That would be more than enough that i would need.

Chris

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

I can't seem to find anyone that has done the upgrade. I am just wondering if it would be that easy??? i wanted to know if i had to do anything internal on the amps.
          It will get me from 100w to 400wpc. That would be more than enough that i would need.

Chris
          Do you have both amps?

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• chriskak
            • May 2017

I can get a hold of one at a very reasonable price locally.That's why i want to find out how they are hooked up.

Comment

• chriskak
              • May 2017

My question is it simple as plugging outputs from the integrated amplifier into the inputs on the power amplifier. Although do i need to bridge the speaker terminals? where do i plug the speakers into they are bi amped currently.

Comment

• TomScrut
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Nov 2013

If somebody knows they will answer, but you need to appreciate how obscure your question is. It will probably involve some modding as the CAP has no balanced outputs and I would imagine the amps would need a common earth too. I know the process for bridging such as a 5200 hence my comments but that's a different story altogether.

If I were you I would be selling the CAP and getting an amp that does what you want it to. You could end up with several thousand dollars of smoking circuits doing this mod that there is no actual evidence works other than what is inferred by a link to a PDF that doesn't exist anymore

Comment

• chriskak
                  • May 2017

Hello,
                  the current manual here:

on page 28 it states that the ca2100 can be added to create a cap2400. I just want to know how classe would have done this, surely someone out there has done this. Classe doesn't;t have the kit anymore. I can't assume that it would be only jumpers requires and rica jacks. Like you said, it would be a very expensive exercise if it all went wrong.

Comment

• TomScrut
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Nov 2013

Wow didn't know they offered that! Have you emailed Classe saying look I know you don't make the kit anymore but what did it actually do and how would I go about DIYing it given there won't be any warranty anyway?

I got them to tell me how to bridge the 5200 even though they weren't going to warrant the amp if it had had it done. I ended up not doing it but that was a simple thing.

Comment

• chriskak
                      • May 2017

I guess they are out of warranty. I have asked and asked. They keep saying that they don't make the kit anymore. I have asked if i could diy a kit. I am awaiting a reply. They are usually pretty good with service/ support. Fingers crossed they get back to me.

Comment

• TomScrut
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Nov 2013

I guess they are out of warranty. I have asked and asked. They keep saying that they don't make the kit anymore. I have asked if i could diy a kit. I am awaiting a reply. They are usually pretty good with service/ support. Fingers crossed they get back to me.
                        They will definitely be out of warranty they haven't made them since around 2010 IIRC. Unless you live somewhere with very good warranty terms! Yes they are normally good with info in my experience.

Comment

• kpodolski
                          • Jun 2006

Here is the original PDF for the kit if anyone is interested. The kit is fairly basic. The 10k ohm resistors are only needed if your CAP needs to be upgraded (mine does not; see photo). The only unknown is the new "shield cable". The PDF does not state what is different from the old??? I may try contacting Classe to find someone there who knows what the wiring scheme is for the new shield cable. It would be interesting to try this........

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• TomScrut
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Nov 2013

Wow that is interesting, thanks for posting. So it looks to me like it is just bridging the amps together, but what the "CAP 2400" setting and the new cables do is unclear. One will have to change the phase/polarity of the output to the CA2100 but which does isn't obvious. The software setting may also adjust something to do with the protection circuits...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Breguet
                              • Jan 2020

Hi! it's great to see this post, unfortunately all the images are dead. Could you upload them again? I really appreciate it! I'm making a very important choice on getting these 2 amps together or get something completely difference. Thank you sooo much!

Originally posted by kpodolski
                              Here is the original PDF for the kit if anyone is interested. The kit is fairly basic. The 10k ohm resistors are only needed if your CAP needs to be upgraded (mine does not; see photo). The only unknown is the new "shield cable". The PDF does not state what is different from the old??? I may try contacting Classe to find someone there who knows what the wiring scheme is for the new shield cable. It would be interesting to try this........

Comment

• Breguet
                                • Jan 2020

Hello Andy,
                                Chris
                                Hi! I'm at the critical point of getting both Amps or getting none. I have a pair of B&W 802 so I really prefer Classe (over Krell, ML, etc.) As the CAP-2100 is a great integrated amp in every aspect except the 'small' power (802 is power hungry, i'm using a Aragon 4004 MKII, 200 wpc and even feel a little weak). I really would like to try this CAP-2400 magic. I wonder did you make it at the end? Thank you !

Comment

• Breguet
                                  • Jan 2020

Hi! I'm at the critical point of getting both Amps or getting none. I have a pair of B&W 802 so I really prefer Classe (over Krell, ML, etc.) As the CAP-2100 is a great integrated amp in every aspect except the 'small' power (802 is power hungry, i'm using a Aragon 4004 MKII, 200 wpc and even feel a little weak). I really would like to try this CAP-2400 magic.

The images should be very helpful but unfortunately they are dead. Are you still able to find them? Will really appreciate if you could upload them, thank you so much!

Comment

• kpodolski
                                    • Jun 2006

Here is the PDF for creating the CAP-2400. Not sure what happened to my original images?

I'd be interested if someone is able to complete one. Looks like it would be a total bruiser of an integrated amp!

Comment

• Breguet
                                      • Jan 2020

Thank you so much! I'm about to buy both amp and I might contact a local store to do the trick, thanks again!

Comment

• Breguet
                                        • Jan 2020

Just talked to my EE-major friend about this mod. What we are both confused is the 'shield cable'. Have no idea what is this.. Otherwise I think should be oK. The 'ground strap' I guess means 'Ground wire'?

Comment

• TomScrut
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Nov 2013

Unless you are getting an absolute steal on the amps I think you would probably be better looking at what pre/power combinations you can get for similar money. Buying something as expensive as 2 Classe amps and then having to modify them to make them work as one sounds a bit silly to me to be honest! Although willing to hear arguments otherwise.

Comment

• kpodolski
                                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by TomScrut
                                            Unless you are getting an absolute steal on the amps I think you would probably be better looking at what pre/power combinations you can get for similar money. Buying something as expensive as 2 Classe amps and then having to modify them to make them work as one sounds a bit silly to me to be honest! Although willing to hear arguments otherwise.
                                            Different stokes, different folks.

He already owns the CAP-2100. The going price for a used CA-2100 is approximately $1300. If he can make this contraption work, and he needs that amount of power, where else can you buy 400w @ 8ohms/ 800w @ 4ohms with the pedigree of Classe at that price?

Comment

• TomScrut
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Nov 2013

Aaah sorry wasn't aware he owns the CAP already. Makes sense now! Buying both to do it wouldn't make much sense, but in a similar vein to the bridging a 5200 I mentioned earlier, that's because I had it and only 2 speakers!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Breguet
                                                • Jan 2020

Just bought the CA-2100 last week at a steal price. But I don't know what the 'shield cable' is and Classe said they don't have it in stock anymore. Plus they haven't give me any spec about the cable...

Maybe I'll need to bi-amp them for now. If I can make the mod, I might have to sell it later.

Unless, I can make them work as monoblocks! Can I?

Comment

• revclasse
                                                  • Jul 2014

Cap_2100_Service_manual

I`ve attached the Service manual, in case you need it!
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by revclasse
                                                    I`ve attached the Service manual, in case you need it!
                                                    Thanks for the CAP-2100 service manual. It's nice to have these; just in case.

You don't happen to have the service manual for the SSP-600 and CDP-300? It would be nice to have those too....

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"