X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
    I think 30% would be the exception...
    So what percentage is the norm and should make me beleive I'm getting a real good deal?

Thanks!

Comment

• photoman
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
      My understanding is that the SSP 300 does have 2 channel bypass. But the only difference is that the SSP 600 has a separate power supply for 2 channel and allows for balanced inputs. Are you positive that the 300 can't do two channel bypass? Doesn't almost every high end SSP allow for 2 channel bypass?
      Are your referring to separate power supplies internally? Otherwise, the SSP600 doesn't have an external separate power supply. In addition to balanced inputs, the SSP600 has 5 balanced outputs to your amp.

I use my SSP600 with a CA5200 in balanced mode. My CDP102 is also balanced; speakers are 802D for mains. I can tell you the sound is fantastic in bypass mode. I've listened to other setup in the same sort of price range i.e(Audio Research, Mac etc). For my ears the Classe / B&W sound is just to hard to beat. You'll love the SSP600 for both music and HT, 80% music for me 20% moves. Not disappointed at in anyway with the sound. Sound between tracks --- what sound nothing. Imaging, uncanny --- pour yourself a tall one and sit back; I have a live show almost every weekend :B . Ray Charles was playing at my place last night. God bless Ray, he was sooooo smooth. :B

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by photoman
        Are your referring to separate power supplies internally? Otherwise, the SSP600 doesn't have an external separate power supply. In addition to balanced inputs, the SSP600 has 5 balanced outputs to your amp.

I use my SSP600 with a CA5200 in balanced mode. My CDP102 is also balanced; speakers are 802D for mains. I can tell you the sound is fantastic in bypass mode. I've listened to other setup in the same sort of price range i.e(Audio Research, Mac etc). For my ears the Classe / B&W sound is just to hard to beat. You'll love the SSP600 for both music and HT, 80% music for me 20% moves. Not disappointed at in anyway with the sound. Sound between tracks --- what sound nothing. Imaging, uncanny --- pour yourself a tall one and sit back; I have a live show almost every weekend :B . Ray Charles was playing at my place last night. God bless Ray, he was sooooo smooth. :B
        Yes, I was referring to internally. You have hell of a set up there!!

The thing is, a few Classe dealers were telling me that the SSP600 is not much better than the 300 for 2 channel audio in their honest opinion. Of course they would love to sell me their more expensive 600, so I trust the integrity of their statements. Now, I'm not saying that the sound on the 600 is not great, but I am saying that I heard the 300 is VERY close.

So far, I have not found a dealer with both on display, so I can't go listen for myself.

I also heard that there is a big debate about using "balanced" connections with short runs. I heard that the benefits are minimal if at all and only some people can hear them. Balanced is actually beneficial for long runs.

Also, isn't it true that once you go balanced, that you have to do so for all connections in your chain otherwise you don't get the benefit? In other words, you would need balanced interconnects between your power and preamp and then your preamp to your CD player. This being the case, now you have to invest in 3 pairs of balanced interconnects. Aren't decent ones pretty expensive?

I certainly am not saying that your system and use of balanced is not great. I'm sure it's phenomenal.

Did you compare the 600 with the 300?

Thanks!!

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Yes, I was referring to internally. You have hell of a set up there!!

The thing is, a few Classe dealers were telling me that the SSP600 is not much better than the 300 for 2 channel audio in their honest opinion. Of course they would love to sell me their more expensive 600, so I trust the integrity of their statements. Now, I'm not saying that the sound on the 600 is not great, but I am saying that I heard the 300 is VERY close.

So far, I have not found a dealer with both on display, so I can't go listen for myself.

I also heard that there is a big debate about using "balanced" connections with short runs. I heard that the benefits are minimal if at all and only some people can hear them. Balanced is actually beneficial for long runs.

Also, isn't it true that once you go balanced, that you have to do so for all connections in your chain otherwise you don't get the benefit? In other words, you would need balanced interconnects between your power and preamp and then your preamp to your CD player. This being the case, now you have to invest in 3 pairs of balanced interconnects. Aren't decent ones pretty expensive?

I certainly am not saying that your system and use of balanced is not great. I'm sure it's phenomenal.

Did you compare the 600 with the 300?

Thanks!!

Here is the quote from Classe's website:

answer is balanced audio. The SSP-600 builds upon the versatile foundation of the SSP-300 by adding a second, linear power supply, and an additional analog circuit board, which includes a balanced two-channel preamplifier and 7.1 channels of balanced audio outputs.

For enthusiasts whose audio sources or power amplifiers lack balanced interconnections, the SSP-300 is the obvious choice. But for the highest performance with music and movie sources, the advanced circuitry of the SSP-600 will deliver performance benefits that greatly exceed its additional cost.
          Basically, the SSP-600 has a CP-500 2 channel pre built into it, but it can only be used for 1 source, and it requires balanced input from that source to use that board.

Balanced connections also benefit from reduction of noise interference from the other cables that may be close. I run 3 balanced cables to the amp that powers my front 3 speakers, and 2 SE cables for the amp to my back speakers. I have balanced cables from the CDP-100 to the SSP-600 to take advantage of the 2 ch. preamp.

The SSP-600 runs natively in balanced mode, so everything will be converted to balanced before it is processed. It would still be recommended to use balanced, for your amps, but not necessary. Again, you will have to use balanced for the CDP.

I can not comment on how the SSP-300 handles 2 ch. I would assume you could set the input as 2 ch and use SE, but it would still have digital processing applied to it, whereas the SSP-600 has true 2 ch bi-pass with the preamp.

I can not comment on why the dealers would tell you anything. I can just tell you my experience. Rebelman has a/b'd both. maybe when he has time he will comment on his findings.

I am VERY pleased with the 2 ch performance of the SSP-600. I don't doubt that there is better out there, but your ROI will begin to diminish above this point. IMO, it will come down to the individuals desire to build a cost-no-option system.

For me, I have wondered how crippled my system was with the NuForce amps, but I wanted to believe they were adequate. After hooking up this BAT, I know that power is the weakest link, and I am saying "good-bye" to the NuForce. Now my biggest concern is what if I like that BAT better than the classe? I don't doubt that they will both have their strengths or weaknesses, but the simple truth is, that I require a 3 channel amp, and while 2 channel is amazing right now, HT is very annoying. L/R is very alive and magical sounding, while the center is nasally, and sounds like its in a tin can....
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the great info - I really appreciate it!

...SSP-300... handles 2 ch. I would assume you could set the input as 2 ch and use SE, but it would still have digital processing applied to it.
            Are you sure about this one (i.e., that setting it to bypass would still result in digital processing)?

Thanks!
            Dave
            Last edited by moonlightdrive21; 11 February 2007, 22:42 Sunday.

Comment

• photoman
              • Apr 2006

Thanks for the great info - I really appreciate it!

Are you sure about this one (i.e., that setting it to bypass would still result in digital processing)?

Thanks!
              Dave
              it will not; according to Classe - asked the tech support the very same question.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by photoman
                it will not; according to Classe - asked the tech support the very same question.
                your reply is unclear photoman. It will not what?

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

In the end, with the SSP-600, you get a $4500 HT processor and a $5000 2 channel preamp for $6500 MSRP in one box. I would say that is a lot of value... but you have to make your own decision. I don't regret mine at all.

Comment

• photoman
                    • Apr 2006

By pass mode will not result in digital signal processing

Comment

• photoman
                      • Apr 2006

By pass mode will not result in digital signal processing

Comment

• ChrisssB
                        • Feb 2006

THEY ARE HERE! :banana:

On saturday I've got my CP-500 & CA-2200!
                        1st impressions: WOW do they sing or what! My speakers (804S) were totally
                        altered! I really cant believe my ears! ;x(
                        All my cds sound different, meaning waaaaaaaaaay (exp10000) better :T
                        I can't imagine how my system will sound when I buy a fine cd player!!!

PS which remote control do you have? Mine is a bit different than the one shown on the manual.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• hmpart
                          • Feb 2007

Classe 3200 and HTM1D center channel

Hi,

I am a new forum member and this is my first post to the Classe forum. I have been a two channel kind of a guy for a long long time and I am about to make the jump to a 5.1 system. I plan on adding a HTM1D center channel and two Signature 8NT's for my rear speakers. The existing system includes a pair of 800D's powered by two Classe CA-M400 monoblocks. I am using the Classe SSP 600 as my preamp/surround sound processor

Now for the question. I am planning to power the center and rear channels with the Classe CA-3200, 3X200 W/channel, biwiring the center channel. The other option is to get the CA-5200 and biamp the center channel. The latter is a pricier option, but if it would make a notable improvement in the system I would go ahead and bite the bullet and go this route.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Howard
                          Howard

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ChrisssB

PS which remote control do you have? Mine is a bit different than the one shown on the manual.

Congrats!!! There is nothing like spending that kind of money and finding that the difference is huge and is worth every penny. We all strive for that!! Enjoy reliving your CD collection!

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Congrats on the new equipment.

Please post pics, i'm sure other would like to see your new toys with your 804S! :T

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                                • Dec 2005

SSP300 vs. SSP600

Hey guys:

As some of you may know, I have been struggling with my decision to pick up either a Clase SSP300 or an SSP600. No dealers have both on demo in my area, so I can't listen to both to compare for 2 channel audio.

However....

My CD player is a Sony CDPXA7ES (11 years old, 44.1kHz and 16 bit). So, since the analog output on this player is dated, I assume that I am much better off using the DAC's on the Classe SSP? Correct?

If I use the DAC's on the Classe SSP and use my Sony only as a transport, then I would not be using and benefiting from using the SSP 600's analog section (i.e., the advanced circuitry, separate power supply, etc.). In this case, is it fair to say that the right choice between the SSP300 vs. the SSP600 is now much more obvious and should be the SSP300 for my setup?

Unless one uses a very high end CD player, that has a better DAC than the Classe SSP's, then there is no reason to get an SSP600 over a 300? Is that correct?

Please forgive me if my questions come off as ignorant or asking the same question 3 ways, I am not as technical as the rest of you.

Now, I wonder if a new CD player (budget of a $1,500) would outperform my Sony as a Transport and SSP300 as a DAC combo?? Of course the only way to know is to try it, but does anyone have any view on which would likely be better based on their experiences?

Thanks very much!!!
                                Dave

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Dave,

How long do you think you will own this processor? If you think you will own it for a few years, is there a chance that you will buy a CDP that has balanced connections during that time?

The DACs in the SSP300 are going to be optimized for multi-channel, not 2 channel.

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                                    • Dec 2005

Dave,

How long do you think you will own this processor? If you think you will own it for a few years, is there a chance that you will buy a CDP that has balanced connections during that time?

The DACs in the SSP300 are going to be optimized for multi-channel, not 2 channel.
                                    Since the Classe SSP's are software upgradable and allow for 7.1 channels, I am hoping the unit will last me at least 10 years. Hell I have been living with a Lexicon DC-1 SSP for the last 11 years, and now I'm finally ready to upgrade.

I suspect that I will invest in a new CD player in the next few years, but can't see myself spending all that much because digital changes/improves so quickly and in my experiences does not play as big of a factor in sound quality compared to speakers and amps. The law of diminishing returns really comes into play with CD players I think.

What CD player would sound significanlty better than using my Sony as a transport with the superb/latest & greatest Classe SSP DAC's? I would guess one that is priced at over $3,000. Not sure if I want to get into spending this much.

Many people brag about the expensive Classe DVD/CD player (which I hear is terrific for CD's too), but how can I justify spending money on a player like that now when blue ray and HD are here, and are far superior to standard DVD's in picture?

I believe you implied that since the DAC's on the Classe SSP are geared towards surround sound, that they would not do as good of a job on two channel digital to analog conversions? Sounds weird, are you sure about this?

Thanks again for your valuable feedback!
                                    Dave

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                      • Feb 2006

Congrats!!! There is nothing like spending that kind of money and finding that the difference is huge and is worth every penny. We all strive for that!! Enjoy reliving your CD collection!
                                      Your are SO right about that! Althought it's the pricier equipment I've bought for my stereo I really feel like it's the best bargain I've ever had! :T

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                        • Feb 2006

moved...

Comment

• Kobus
                                          • Aug 2005

Okay dumb questions time….
                                          Why are you posting that here, start a new tread; nice question though.

Or mods please lock this one.

Kobus

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                            • Feb 2006

Done

You are right Kobus....
                                            Old habits ...

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Time to put this thread to sleep... for continued Classé discussions feel free to start new threads in our new Club!

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"