Upgrade from Rotel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • weijst
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2004
    • 282

    Upgrade from Rotel?

    Hello to you all. This is my first post on club Classe and considering my upgrade plans perhaps not my last!

    I currently have a Rotel RSP-1068 / RMB-1075 combination powering a set of B&W 805S mains, a HTM4S centre and DM600S3 surrounds. My sub is a Velodyne SPL-1200R.

    I'm considering upgrading my amplifier as I want to get more out of my 805S. Do you think a CA-5100 will be a gain in performance compared to my current RMB-1075 (5 x 120 watt) or should I turn to a CA-2200 / CA-3200 / CA-5200?

    As for future plans: I'm planning on getting a pair of 804S or maybe even 803S one day, but I don't see myself go any further up the 800 series. I believe that upgrading my speakers first and then my amp is not wise as my current amp will not be very able to bring 804S / 803S to life...

    I hope one of you can share his/her thoughts on the subject or share experiences on a change from Rotel to Classe components. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by weijst; 06 December 2009, 20:32 Sunday.
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 2299

    #2
    Originally posted by weijst
    Hello to you all. This is my first post on club Classe and considering my upgrade plans perhaps not my last!

    I currently have a Rotel RSP-1068 / RMB-1075 combination powering a set of B&W 805S mains, a HTM4S centre and DM600S3 surrounds. My sub is a Velodyne SPL-1200R.

    I'm considering upgrading my amplifier as I want to get more out of my 805S. Do you think a CA-5100 will be a gain in performance compared to my current RMB-1075 (5 x 120 watt) or should I turn to a CA-2200 / CA-3200 / CA-5200?

    As for future plans: I'm planning on getting a pair of 804S or maybe even 803S one day, but I don't see myself go any further up the 800 series. I believe that upgrading my speakers first and then my amp is not wise as my current amp will not be very able to bring 804S / 803S to life...

    Another option I have is upgrading my RSP-1068 to a SSP-600, but I somehow think that's the least interesting option, for now...

    I hope one of you can share his/her thoughts on the subject or share experiences on a change from Rotel to Classe components. Thank you in advance.
    I have a 1085 that I used for my rear and surround speakers (4xSCMs). I have since upgraded that amp to a CA-5100. There was a night and day difference. to me, the rotel amp sounded metallic. The ca-5100 sounds perfect! This is a great amp.

    With that being said, it might or might not be as good for the 804s or 803s. It will depend on things such as room size, level you listen to music and crossover point whether you will want to move to the 200W amp. Either route will be a significant step up over the Rotel.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

    Comment

    • jbreezy5
      Member
      • May 2009
      • 59

      #3
      If you plan to get the larger speakers but want to upgrade the amp first, maybe try auditioning the larger speakers w/different amps then you'll have satisfying amplification when you do upgrade speakers.

      Likely having too much power, won't be unbeneficial with your current set-up. Usually higher power w/monitor speakers results in surprising bass capabilities and smoother high frequencies. Classe should work nicely w/B&W, but doesn't hurt to check other manufacturer's too.

      I've heard Mark Levinson amplification w/B&W nautilus 801's and it was the best bass reproduction I've heard from them. Very dynamic, punchy, and great slam. The dealer also sold the Classe gear (usually noted for smoothness and openness, not the last word in bass, but very musical). Experimentation will help you find what you like.

      -JBreezy-

      Comment

      • weijst
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2004
        • 282

        #4
        Thanks sikoniko and jbreezy5.

        Anymore feedback on the CA-5100 performance? A search on the web keeps resulting in the same single article, where it's being reviewed with the SSP-300.
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

        Comment

        • sskim
          Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 52

          #5
          to hear the "night and day" difference in sound quality, you'll need to upgrade pre-pro as well as the amp.

          Comment

          • sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003
            • 2299

            #6
            Originally posted by weijst
            Thanks sikoniko and jbreezy5.

            Anymore feedback on the CA-5100 performance? A search on the web keeps resulting in the same single article, where it's being reviewed with the SSP-300.
            Hopefully Nolan will find his way to this thread. I believe he is in a good position to give you his feedback. He has migrated to classe from Rotel and does not have 800 series speakers.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

            Comment

            • Armbender
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2005
              • 265

              #7
              love to also hear some responses for this...i am considering moving from my 1056 to the ssp-600 in the near future...
              Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

              Comment

              • Eliav
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2005
                • 484

                #8
                I can share my experience with the upgrade I had made going from rotel to Classe.
                I was, at that time, running rotel 1068 @ RMB 1095 to drive B&W 803s. My first move toward my current setup was to replace the 1095 with Classe CAM 400 monoblocks. I was skeptical at first, and did not expect an amplifier change to be really audible, after all, they are all designed to be silent and 'colorless" right ?
                The two noticeable changes I experienced as soon as the Classe took command were : 1. total background silence,complete darkness. 2. the instruments in every recording were suddenly having a " place" in the hologramic 3 D imaging drawn by the 803s; all of a sudden I was able to point out the location of EVERY single instrument. this was in contrast to the relative " musical chaos" I experienced with the 1095. I must admit I was pretty much amazed with how the CAM 400 had revolutionized my listening experience.

                I would assume you are likely to experience the same going from 1075 to 5100.
                I hope this helps.
                Eliav
                :T Socrat

                Comment

                • AV-OCD
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 568

                  #9
                  Well, my experience has been that a change in speakers will make the most noticeable difference, then the prepro, then the amp. In that order.

                  I've owned Parasound Halo, Bel Canto Ref 1000's, CAM-400's, and currently the CA-5100. At the levels I listen to, I heard no major differences between any of them. I chose the CA-5100 because it was powerful enough to drive my speakers, without taking up the real estate of the CAMs. However, switching from a Lexicon MC-12 prepro to the SSP-800 provided a noticeable improvement in realism, refinement and resolution.

                  Comment

                  • Ken49r
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • 312

                    #10
                    Originally posted by AV-OCD
                    Well, my experience has been that a change in speakers will make the most noticeable difference, then the prepro, then the amp. In that order.
                    How about the source player? Just curious where in the upgrade chain. I'm also considering upgrades from an ALL Rotel based system.

                    Comment

                    • AV-OCD
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 568

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ken49r
                      How about the source player? Just curious where in the upgrade chain. I'm also considering upgrades from an ALL Rotel based system.
                      It depends. It can be equal to the prepro, unless your prepro already has a good DAC section. If the prepro has a good DAC, then CD player becomes a transport and goes to the end of the list.

                      I should mention that right up there with speakers is the room, EQ and recording quality.

                      I don't think that the room necessarily needs to be professionally treated, but at the very least, it should not be square and there should be a mix of soft and hard surfaces.

                      For bass, EQ is almost a necessity, unless you are very lucky.

                      Comment

                      • legion1capone
                        Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • 42

                        #12
                        Save yourself some money and go with An Emotiva XPA-2 or there XPA-1 Monoblocks. You could go for there mono blocks and still be at half the price of Classe, Mcintosh, etc. There products are growing rave reviews. One owner did a side by side comparison vs mcintosh and said the differences were very subtle. Coming from a product that's less than half the price I'd say thats a pretty sweet deal. Might not be your cup of tea but thought I'd put it out there as I am not loyal to a sigle product.

                        Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.


                        Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.


                        They also have a Pre-amp out:

                        Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

                        Comment

                        • Armbender
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 265

                          #13
                          Originally posted by legion1capone
                          Save yourself some money and go with An Emotiva XPA-2 or there XPA-1 Monoblocks. You could go for there mono blocks and still be at half the price of Classe, Mcintosh, etc. There products are growing rave reviews. One owner did a side by side comparison vs mcintosh and said the differences were very subtle. Coming from a product that's less than half the price I'd say thats a pretty sweet deal. Might not be your cup of tea but thought I'd put it out there as I am not loyal to a sigle product.

                          Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.


                          Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.


                          They also have a Pre-amp out:

                          http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
                          I agree...i went from a Bryston 4Bsst to an Emotiva XPA-5 and my speakers still sound great...a little less in the lowend but my sub handles everything..
                          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

                          Comment

                          • sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • 2299

                            #14
                            Originally posted by legion1capone
                            Save yourself some money and go with An Emotiva XPA-2 or there XPA-1 Monoblocks. You could go for there mono blocks and still be at half the price of Classe, Mcintosh, etc. There products are growing rave reviews. One owner did a side by side comparison vs mcintosh and said the differences were very subtle. Coming from a product that's less than half the price I'd say thats a pretty sweet deal. Might not be your cup of tea but thought I'd put it out there as I am not loyal to a sigle product.

                            Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.


                            Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.


                            They also have a Pre-amp out:

                            http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
                            :roll:

                            Everytime I have tried to take shortcuts, I've ended up going back and getting what I wanted in the first place later, which has cost me more money. Unless you can A/B them, I suggest you go with what you can hear locally or have heard in the past and liked.
                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

                            Comment

                            • mjb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 1483

                              #15
                              Originally posted by sikoniko
                              Everytime I have tried to take shortcuts, I've ended up going back and getting what I wanted in the first place later, which has cost me more money. Unless you can A/B them, I suggest you go with what you can hear locally or have heard in the past and liked.
                              Good advice, and something I've proved time and again to my peril!
                              - Mike

                              Main System:
                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

                              Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

                              Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"