HTGuide is sold to a buyer from the forum. A membe not one of the big forum machines

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

HTGuide is sold to a buyer from the forum. A membe not one of the big forum machines

The forum is being transferred to a new buyer. He is excited to take the reins. It will happen as soon as we can get all things done.

I am just tired, and have to many irons in the fire to do HTG right, so it's time for the next Gen. I have with Kevin's help ran HTG for many years, and years before that Mats and I ran it. This is just the natural thing to do. Time to do something else. Maybe that's retirement soon, maybe it's watching movies. But I can't seem to catch up on house chores to even have time to play music. Maybe someday.
    An IT savvy person took me up on a deal, I'm not staying where the rich and famous stay for a week, but at least HTG is assured a future. We nurtured it, kicked it in the seat of the pants a few times, and now someone else will.

The forum and all rights for it is sold. I missed an opportunity or two to sell it for real good money a few years ago, being stubborn.

Thank you one and all,
    Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Cool beans. You've run this site for over 20 years (I think I first joined in 2000? That was forever ago haha) and we kept it going all this time, on a shoestring budget.

I can help with the transition, but I'm tired and burned out too and my interests have shifted (to music as well, just like you) so I'm hoping to eventually retire as the tech admin here. It's good you sold to someone with IT experience.

Maybe they'll have ideas to bring new life into the site as well, and attract more folks. I think most people watch movies on their phones instead of in home theaters these days.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
      Cool beans. I think most people watch movies on their phones instead of in home theaters these days.
      Heresy! Pure Heresy!

I’ll just be getting around to setting up my Black Diamond screen I bought a few years ago next month, along with the Epson 4K projector! Took a while to buy the place to put them in… slow work takes time!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Thank you guys both for your if not loyal, certainly Continuous and great minded service all these years. Thank all of you loyal and faithful HTGers. Not to many others are left that really crusaded this place like Kevin and Jon. I am sure there are a few others, I just never got into the individual forums to much these last few years. I have however updated some things in my system including necessary repairs to my Lexicon MC-12, and my Aerial SW-12 subwoofer in last 5-7 years. Then also upgrade to a BenQ 4K projector, that really added to my home theater enjoyment. I have typed so long not just here but 32+ years at office as well, that I am ready to sit back and watch more movies, and TV shows, wherever, but I am not a paid cable subscriber now, no DTV either. I have had on HGTV on Roku on my 4K curved front Samsung 4K TV, that has some age on it, plus they gave me a stupid independent box, sort of like Quazar's works in a drawer I guess? Then they don't have the box to replace it with I don't think, mine has issues. Ridiculous.

If not here, I am at thxdoug "@" gmail, I check in. IF you care to add me as a friend, and are "friendly", I will send you my FB ID when asked for it. lol. Yes, I will always be the top gun administrator. I just chose to step away from my post here, and do something new, keep up with life. I hope to play some golf if I am able, and my music, and kick back some. I hope retire sooner than later, but right now hanging on with day gig...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
        Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I've been here like 22 years now? I think my join date is in 2000. I was young and (relatively) newly and happily married back then. Now I'm old, cranky and divorced. haha.

We've certainly had our ups and downs both here on the forum and in our personal lives. Me, going through layoffs, recessions, a house fire, losing 2 sisters, moving to SC, then my wife leaving me... it's been crazy. I think when I joined here I still was using a 27" Hitachi CRT TV, then I added Platinum speakers, a SVS subwoofer, a Mitsubishi RPTV, a high-end Sony ES DVD player, only to lose all that in a fire, but then I rebuilt even better with separate Sherwood components, a CRT projector, 7.1 surround, and a 50" plasma display for TV. I still have most of that stuff since moving, though the projector is under a tarp in my shed... don't know what I'll do with it. I'll have to haul it to a recycler or something, if I can lift the damn thing. I still use the 50" plasma to this day. My Blu Ray player is like 12 years old, it just keeps on trucking, haha. Good ol' Sony.

I don't watch much anymore, mainly a couple shows in the winter, and the occasional blu ray, or Star Trek series (working on Voyager now) on DVD. I had a Roku for a month, then gave it to my brother. Nothing on streaming interests me. I still have a creaky old MythTV HTPC connected to an antenna in the attic.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Hey, Kevin, the broad emotional outlines of your last 20 years ring a bell, if not the details.

My condolences with regards to losing your sisters. and the divorce, too.

For me, for the last ten years it seems I've been "playing the long game", acquiring some key toys but having to squirrel them away due to issues at work and other circumstances. The last few managers I've had have been doozies, and one VP I helped push out of the company due to negligent and illegal behavior. Then, too, in 2016 Beverly was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (diagnosed too late) and she passed away in early 2018.

So, what kind of CRT projector do you have? I have an NEC 10PG stashed away in storage in CA for when I could set it up- just never seemed the right time! I'm still probably going to bring it here and play with it a bit- it will do 1080P just fine, and somewhere I have a cheater adapter that takes in HDMI or DVI and outputs analog for a projector.

I've got a huge stash of BD and 4K BD disks that I've slowly acquired and haven't watched, and a couple of players, that I've never had a chance to setup properly- we have a 55" VIZIO 4K TV, but hardly ever use it. That should change in the new place we own, as I'm bringing all the gear out of storage and will get it setup. That includes reviving my network based music server with Roon and a Sonore computer designed just for that task, along with Rendu's, an Alpha USB, a Brainstorm DCD reclocker, and a rubidium reference clock to stabilze it. I even found my TotalDAC D1 balanced tucked way back in a climate controlled storage unit here. I'm looking forward to all that.

I also have stacks of interesting drivers and system ideas that I acquired 2019 through 2020, and just now am getting back to... I have quite a few project concepts to investigate, from the very petite (code name "Daisy Rey", think out performing baby sister to NatalieP) to the back breaking to move if they get built.

So much of this is about deferred gratification, and figuring out how to thrive in the "new abnormal". The former I've been looking forward to, the latter, though, is not a simple task.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              So, what kind of CRT projector do you have? I have an NEC 10PG stashed away in storage in CA for when I could set it up- just never seemed the right time! I'm still probably going to bring it here and play with it a bit- it will do 1080P just fine, and somewhere I have a cheater adapter that takes in HDMI or DVI and outputs analog for a projector.
              Mine is the NEC 9PG, I think. I forget now. It's the one with 7" tubes. It worked best at 720p. Great projector, but big and heavy. I used it with a Lumagen scaler, but back then all my gear was component video, not HDMI. I'd have to use something that *cough* doesn't obey HDCP to use my projector nowadays.

My current living room isn't really laid out to allow for a huge screen, and even if I rearranged it, I'd probably just hang a large flat panel on the wall instead of using a PJ. PJs are best in dedicated rooms that can be darkened. And if I went that route, I'd probably get a modern 4K one.

I won't even replace the 50" Panny plasma until it dies. At the rate it's going, it'll likely outlive me.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Familiar sounding, Kevin! We’ll see how often I get to enjoy a nostalgic trip back to the days of yesteryear! I’ll admit, when I see what the best 75” panels can do, it’s tempting, but the money is there right now, or for a while, so we’ll see what happens.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• tktran
                  • Jan 2005

It feels like I only joined this place yesterday. Has it really been 17 years? Thanks for the adventures Doug. What a wonderful community you've started. My son saw me typing the other day and asked "is this social media?".
                  Well, kinda, I said. It's called a forum, BEFORE social media was created. Like the BBS before the Internet.

I guess time does march on, where are all those people on all the individual forums. I can't imagine they've gone to Instagram, much less Wechat, TikTok or Weibo?
                  Probably Youtube-or Facebook they seemed to gobbled up everything and monetized through advertisers. Little birdie told me that this was happening, over a decade ago, even before their IPO... I closed my account out of protest, but probably me and only three other people.

I never even had a chance to build a Home Theater, with too many relocations; only 6 homes in 8 years, not that I'm counting.
                  But guess what, I recently did setup a projector when I lived in a rental with a old PJ screen that was left when the landlord left.
                  So after the next 2 moves I brought my projector with me, into the master bedroom. You just need a bedhead that can support it! (bookshelf style). It was an Epson LCD 1080p, good enough for after sunset.
                  The kids now come into the bedroom for family movie night! They're only 10 and 7, so they still fit in our king-size bed.

I do hate the fact that virtually all of Hollywood production now are re-makes, or sequels. Basically cash cows. There originality has gone sideways, mostly. Some way the best movies were in black and white- do you agree?

Cohen Brothers and Richard Linklater still give me reasons to enjoy bedroom theatre.

I will send a donation this weekend, Doug, I've have been meaning to, for your swansong.

Best regards,
                  Thanh
                  Australia

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Big Software update over this weekend- HTG will go off the air this evening.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"