Get acquainted with HTG For ALL MEMBERS!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Get acquainted with HTG For ALL MEMBERS!

I thought it might be nice to start a thread where guys/girls just tell us a little bit about themselves. Maybe what drives them in life, maybe it's hobbies, maybe it's just your home theater. Whatever it is, I think adding a little humanity to HTG is always a good thing. Tell us where your from, something interesting from your area maybe? You can even tell us what kind of vegetables you hate. I don't care! This thread is about anything and everything that's about you, the members.

As usual, rules concerning mis-guided intent of a post, or whatever apply. Have fun though.

I'll start by telling you guys, I'm one of the owners here at HTG. We've been doing this over 3 years now. I also own the cable companies you see at the bottom of this page, so these things are a bit part of my life.

I also have a daughter in college, and a great family here even though I am not married now. The big D! I work as a computer professional in addition to all my audio video interests. I love cars and HT. I've got a 1970 Mustang Mach I, a classic I've had for about 12 years. She's in the shop now. My latest baby, is a 2002 BMW 330ci sports coupe. What a car!

Ok, your turn,
    Lex (Doug)

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Well, hello members,

I'm a 35 year old power utility electrician, have been for almost 14 years, previous to that I was a truck driver/heavy equipment operator.

I have three kids, a girl - 7, a boy - 5, and a baby boy - 0.5 years old, and a wonderful (read: patient) wife of 13 years.

I'm in my second home here in Mitchell, my first was a cute little place in Winnipeg in the Grant Park Mall/Waverly area. (having children will make you look for a bigger house, as well as a minivan).

I got interested in DTH satellite tv in '97, was a grey market sub for a year and then bought into the slow moving Canadian DTH industry - meanwhile I got involved in home theater as well as home automation.

the rest is, as they say, history.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Alright, here goes.

I am a 49 yr. old (almost 50 Whewww!) Computer Systems Engineer with a consulting firm. I have a lovely family 2 girls, and a boy (finally) and a wonderful wife of 11 years. I was previously a Engineering teacher and basketball coach for 14 years.

I have always been fascinated by Home Theater and have worked hard especially the last few years to achieve acoustical bliss in my home (finally had the room for it). I enjoy most sports and played basketball (my passion) and football overseas for a bit, (boy those were the days).

I am contemplating a another career change, Home Theater Consulting Business (Azeke's Home Theater Boutique), just a thought :idea: .

I have truly been blessed and thank the Lord everyday for these blessings.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Hel.....lo.

I.....am.....a.....hill.....bil.....ly.

I.....am.....from.....Al.....a.....ba.....ma.

I.....own.....a.....BLUE.....truck.

I.....like.....to.....fish.

O-tay... enough of that.

I am truly a country redneck hillbilly (and a talking goat sometimes). I am 40 something and married to Angibug since April of 1984. We are blessed with one child, a daughter 13 years old...Chelsea. There will be no more yardrats as I've been neutered and no it was not pleasant.

I own a finance company, First Troy Finance, in Troy (extreme southeast Alabama). We are a smaller loan company with a little over 1.1 million in net receivables. I started in finance back in August of 1983 and worked for Corporate America for about 15 years prior to semi-retirement with my own company (4 days a week now). CA is where all my gray hairs originated. I have another business but I won't talk about it here on the forum. I also raise goats and we own a couple of geese as well.

We live in the country and own a bit of land with a nice fish pond. You can see all this on our website. I love to fish.... the bass are up to 6-7lbs now and still growing. I don't hunt but my 10 year younger brother has killed 15-16 deer on our land over the last 2 hunting seasons. Wild turkey's are plentiful around these parts as well.

Of course many of you know we just finished up Cedar Creek Cinema and we are absolutely loving our new dedicated home theater. It's the next best thing since whatever was before sliced bread. This is no doubt HT is my favorite hobby and has been since 1991 (okay... I got a late start). I enjoy my truck stereo as well.

We are all saved sinners and love our Lord. We attend New Harmony Baptist Church which is a very country Southern Baptist denomination less than a mile from our house. We were saved in the Presbyterian Church but when we moved we transferred our letter. We are not pushy Christians but we are also not ashamed to discuss religion and allow people to know where we stand. We don't claim to be any better than anyone else and practice taking the plank out of our own eye prior to even thinking about trying to take the splinter out of someone esles. We are by no means perfect and never will be (I've pretty much figured out I'll be one of those that are the "least in the kingdom of heaven")... but again we do love our Lord. We are very fortunate and blessed and so thankful to be able to live our lives the way we do.... praise be to God!

I am a very mellow person... no stress... no worries... take life minute by minute and could really care less about a time watch, although I wear one most of the time. It takes an extremely lot to upset me. Back in my younger days you could look at me and I would blow my cool but oh how life can change us as we mature and grow. Angibug and my family and friends say I'm the most calm and relaxed person they know... maybe a compliment.

My motto: Be happy, don't worry! and love the Lord with all your heart and soul.

Well I've rambled on enough and I hope I haven't done too much preaching.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well lets see I'll be the big "30" this summer and have been married for 6 years. We have a beautiful 9 month old daughter named Lauren and moved into our first house a couple of years ago. Upon moving into the house a priority for me was to build my own dedicated media room which you can see on my home page (see link below). Its now pretty much where I want it to be gear wise and since buying the projector last fall its now finally a real theater:T

I'm obviously "into" the AV world as a hobby but I also enjoy computers, phtography, reading, chess, fishing, hiking and viewing wildlife....which is no surprise considering i currently work for Ducks Unlimited Canada in their GIS dept. (before that I was a field biologist with them)

I was born in England (North Yorkshire) and our family immigrated to Canada in '84 when i was ten. Our family has always being Dairy farmers so I spent my school years growing up on the family farm in rural Manitoba (St.Claude) before moving to Brandon to attend university. It was during my second year at BU that I got to know my wife and from there the rest was history!

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
            • Jun 2001

I'll give this a shot...

I am 35 and have been married for 14 years now. We have two boys, 9 and 6. They sure are awesome kids. There are pictures of them on my website of course.

I have been selling Real Estate for the past 9 years. I specialize in new construction. I am on site at least 5 days a week. That is why I have so much time to lurk on the forums. Prior to real estate, I was a Youth Pastor for 5 years, and in the Navy as an Electronics Engineer. I made the career change into Real Estate because of the desire to enable my wife the ability to stay home and be with the kids while they were young. We have been able to do that for the past 3 years and it has really been great. Now that the boys are in school full time, my wife is thinking about going back to work part time.

I got the bug for home theater when my wife was working at a video store for one of the members of our church. He was really into Laser disc. We became good friends and he took me shopping for speaker one day. They were for him, of course. I did not make that much money as a Youth Pastor at that time. I think it was around $600 a month. He bought a pair of speakers that I fell in love with, Infinity Kappa's. Kind of like what Lex was selling. Well, because of my friend Bruce, I caught the home theater bug. I believe my wife was an enabler at this time in our marriage. Every night she would bring home one of the rental Laserdisc player when it wasn't rented out. So, once I was able to see and hear it, I was hooked.

It's funny how friends can be such a big influence when it comes to hobbies. I have had several friends whose wives all blame me for their husband’s addictiveness to home theater. In the past year, I have become good friends with Erik Farstad and he has done a great job of influencing me to upgrade stuff. I think because of him, I have invested in Martin Logan speakers, a Denon 1600 dvd player, CatCables, new spikes for my speakers and I am sure many other things. It is so nice to be able to blame someone else again for my addiction. :LOL:

Oh, at least I tricked Erik and Nicole to come to the church that my wife and I go too! So, you could say that I have been a better influence than Erik has been to me... :LOL:

The other things besides home theater that bring the most joy to me would be: going to my kids baseball or soccer games, our reading time every night and just spending time with my wife. We live a very laid back life, but that was the goal I had ever since I was a child. So, what else can I say except that God has really blessed me and I am having a great time being a Father and husband.

Jeff Aguilar

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well let's see....

I'm a 26 year old graphic designer and draftsman and own a recently purchased, lovely home in a suburb of Vanouver Canada (wouldn't live anywhere else) with my equally lovely girlfriend and stepdaughter (and the bank:roll: ). Being from Vancouver, I'm also a huge Canucks fan with the bar in our family/theatre room adorned in supportive team paraphernalia. I was also a video distribution engineer (I used to work for Rogers Video and Rogers Cable) in my teen years which was partly responsible for my addiction My Dad and uncles were also responsible as they were big stereo guys from way back when. Of course now they blame me for making them purchase home theatre equipment ...lol

My girlfriend and I do plan to marry when I save up enough money for a ring worthy of her. (Hence my ban on purchasing any more A/V equipment until then ops: ) I hope our "living in sin" doesn't offend any of the more religious folks here My girlfriend and I tend to think of ourselves more as spiritual people then religious but to each there own.

My hobbies include riding my bike around our town in this beautiful province, hiking and hopefully soon, digital photography Of course A/V (which includes this forum) and computers are a couple things I enjoy as well.

Now I go back out in to the world to spend time with my loving family (immediate and extended), enjoy life and convince more people I know, they need A/V gear

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

This is a great idea Lex!

I am 35 years old and am a very proud father of my two Daughters, Tori (7 years) and Taylor (5 years). As well I have been married to my very caring and supportive wife Tracey for 11 years. Tracey is fortunate to be a stay at home Mom, but does spend time as a volenteer at the school, helping out in the classroom. She is also very active at the gym currently and has a passion for interior decorating, crafts, painting etc..

I have been in my profession for several years working for a large Retail company in Canada. I have been currently managing my own store for the last (almost) 5 years. My current location has been very successful in these 5 years and fortunately I have been able to gain a huge amount of respect in the company due to my work ethics and knowledge in merchandising, operations ,freight flow, respect for people and very high standards in store presentation. Most of my time is spent teaching, training , developing those that I work with.

Last year we moved to a new home which we are really enjoying. One could say it is our dream home. We feel we found a diamond in the rough with this one as it was a former show home and is developed on all levels to offer approx 3500 sqft of living space. The area we live in is beautiful and has a goergious lake and park. We plan to stay here for many years.

My hobbies include Family Time ,HomeTheater ,Computers ,Sports (like hockey)
                Outdoors , Camping and Fishing. And something new I am getting deep into , Sport Cars. I purchased a Corvette Convertible last year and plan present it at Cars shows in the future. I have recently developed a high level of interest in all new cars being manufactured today and am very thrilled at the rebirth of Muscle cars although current in styling but packing a lot of HP and DNA under the hood.

I came over to HT Guide almost 4 years ago. Previously, my online roots had started at the HTF in which I had spent a good 3 years as a consistant member. TTP in the "Not ready for PrimeTime" area is where I spend most of my time. With my profession being demanding and mentally fatiguing, I need a place to unwind and relax at. TTP is that place for me!!

On a final note, I have to say that the HTG has the greatest group of guys that anybody could ever want to be aquainted with!! :T

Trevor
                My HomeTheater S.E.
                Sonically Enhanced
                C5
                Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Very interesting. I'm learning new things even about friends that have been here on HTG for a while.

The funny thing is, a lot of my personal details are a mix of different people here. I'm 29. The one thing that may be different is that I'm a pilot for the US Air Force. I've wanted to fly my whole life, as well as serve my country. I dedicated my life to this goal, went to the US Air Force Academy, and have been flying for 6 years now and enjoying it. It's truly where God has placed me.

My two biggest hobbies are high performance cars and home theater. With the cars, I've got a twin turbo Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 that I've souped up to 575 horsepower. She and I have been featured in a few magazines, and we do car shows too.

I've always been into music (enjoying as well as performing) as well as movies. I currently write an article series for Home Theater Builder Magazine, in which I'm building my own dedicated private home theater from scratch, and showing step by step everything I do to get it built. It's really a blast, and I'm almost done with quite a great setup. I've been planning on building my own theater when I bought my first house, which I had to wait on since I was living overseas for many years, but finally got the opportunity back here in the good ol' USA.

I got started here on the Guide when I moved from my last military assignment flying Learjets in Germany to my current place in Washington State, and met a great friend Erik Farstad who introduced me to HTG. I've been a steady face around since.

My wife and I just had our first baby daughter two weeks ago, which has really changed our lives around. It's pretty great, having this little peanut around, even when she's crying and things get frustrating.

(Oh, and Jason, since you brought it up, I'm originally from Colorado and a HUGE Denver Bronco and Colorado Avalanche fan. Did I mention the Avalanche are currently in 1st place in the whole NHL? )

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Oh, and Jason, since you brought it up, I'm originally from Colorado and a HUGE Denver Bronco and Colorado Avalanche fan. Did I mention the Avalanche are currently in 1st place in the whole NHL?
                    lol... Well they haven't been there for long and I guarantee they won't stay there for long I'm sure my boys will overcome them again 8)

Truth be told Colorado is and has been since they moved from Quebec, my second favourite team in the NHL. I mean they've got Burnaby Joe, a good hometown boy and until his recent retirement good old Patrick Roy. Who couldn't love that feisty frenchman and goalie god? Not to mention one or two other good players..lol

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I will be turning 68 this July. For all my working life I was in the printing and publishing profession. I started in the business as a proof runner ( someone who delivered proofs of newspaper ads to advertisers) moved into sales and eventually into management. When I retired in 2000, I was a general manager, publisher and company vice president. And I looovvve retirement.

My passion has always been film and music, and when they invented vcrs and vhs tapes with movies on them, I was quick to marry my tv and vcr with my hi-fi stereo system. My love of music translated into a short period in the early fifties when I played trumpet got a few gigs here and there.
                      I have been married to the same woman for 48 years, and it still boggles my mind to think that she has put up with me all those years when I put in 13 and 14 hour days building a career, came home late for dinner, left her trying to manage three boys, etc.

These days I do a little consulting work and try to keep up with my never ending collection of dvds, and a desire to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade...

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

Hi guys! I can`t help but repeat again how much I love this forum. The maturity of the answers and the nut case conaisseur answers...Gotta love it
                        I am 29 years old. I own a figure skating boutique being an ex figure skater in Montreal. I own a really cute house that my living room downstairs is my home theater and 2 channel room. Girlfriend of 10 years and one sweet ass kid of 26 months absolutely the 8) Already loving Jazz and Finding Nemo

My other joy in life is Cooking and BBQing. I am as retardedly involved with that as I am in sound. Nothing is ever good enough!

I thought BAM! was a funny name go Emiril GO

Thanks for reading!

Bam!
                        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• LCSeminole
                          • Apr 2003

Well I'm new to this forum but have been a home theater fanatic for quite a while now. I'm a graduate of Florida State University, GO SEMINOLES, and I live in the North Florida Panhandle and work for a large overnight express shipping company as a quality control analyst. Divorced, no children, but I'm loving life being single again!!! I'm an avid cyclist, a big Lance Armstrong fan, love to travel now, and snow skiing is a twice a year addiction. You Canadians have one heckuva ski-resort up there in British Columbia, Whistler-Blackcomb. Oh yeah, a thank you to Lex & Andrew and any other moderators on-site for providing a great forum.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

First of all, this is a great idea...thanks!

I just turned 46 years old on Thursday and share my birthday with one of my boyhood and life idols, Henry "Hammerin' Hank" Aaron. I was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin so you've gotta know I am a diehard Packers fan (and no, I am not a cheesehead --- gosh are those things dumb or what!).

I am proud of my heritage as an Italian-American and more proud in my love for my Savior, Jesus Christ.

I have some very early beginnings in music as I started playing the drums when I was 4 years old (yeah I know, many folks don't think of the drum as a musical instrument). With that I guess you could say this hobby has been with me most, if not all, of my life. I marched in a Drum and Bugle Corps. as a boy and young adult and had the fortune of seeing many parts of this country as well as Canada while competing against other Corps. from around the country. I played in a jazz ensemble in High School.

I took a tour in the military and was stationed at West Point during some very formative years of my life. I am proud that I served my country and was honored to be nominated Soldier of the Year while I was stationed at West Point. While there, among a host of duties and responsibilities I had, one was being in the Honor Guard. In this role I had the privilege of meeting dignitaries, celebrities, and world leaders. Most honorable though was that I was part of the burial detail in which I buried our country's heroes at the National Cemetary there.

I left West Point and went on to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison so I am a diehard 'Badger' too. I met my totally awesome and wonderful wife there and we married the year we both graduated --- 1983. We've been together ever since. Quite honestly, I don't know what I'd do without her!

She's a pharmacist and I am the Regional Sales Director for the second largest telecommunications company in the U.S. I, and my team, work with the area's largest companies by consulting and selling high-end data solutions, video/audio conference, voice-over-IP, wireless, plain-'ole telephone service, call centers, etc. It is a very rewarding job yet demanding at the same time.

Sue (my wife) and I have two awesome children, Kyle (16) and Stephanie (13) and besides my wife, they are are the two greatest worldly gifts God has given me. I was an athlete in my youth (football, basketball, and baseball) and as an adult I was a martial artist. Both my son and I have Black Belts and I have taught kickboxing. Both of my children are Junior Olympians as they play volleyball. This keeps me terribly busy. It's great to see them play at such a high level and rewarding to see them love the sport as much as they do.

I have coached basketball and volleyball; I have done some Christian ministry for some local jails/prisons.

I saved a bunch of my money while I was in the military and I bought my first stereo when I began attending college. I had a Phase Linear amp/pre-amp, Denon turntable, Nakamichi cassette deck, and two pair of Bose 901 speakers. I was the talk of my dorm and apartments while I went to school (can't recall how many times the cops came and told me to turn my music down!!!). I guess that was the true beginning of my current hobby.

I got sidetracked for a few years and my passion waned a bit while my wife and I were building our dream home and caring for her father while he was dieing from leukemia. The passion rekindled very early last year as we built our home theater and it has been a wild ride ever since. I have really enjoyed growing my system this past year and have suffered through some disappointing times while tweaking as well. I am a perfectionist at heart so I know that the tweaking won't die as I search for Nirvana.

I love the forums for the most part because of the help they've given me and for the help I have given others. Like most though, I could do without some of the nonsense that goes along with them...

Thanks for letting me share a little of my life you all of you!

Jim
                            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Ryker
                              • Jan 2002

My name is Bob Bartlett.
                              I am mostly a lurker because everyone seems to know much more than me, but I have to say everyone is very helpful and friendly here. I am 34 and a stay at home dad. I have a 7 year old, 2 year old and 3 month old.

I live in Northern Maine, not much up here but a real nice place to raise children and cost of living is low. Got into home theater in the last few years and I'm addicted. Got most of my stuff online or built it myself because there are no major electronic stores around.

My hobbies are of course home theater, weightlifting(which I've been doing since a teenager), fishing and camping.
                              Great site!

Bob

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Jim-

Fascinating stuff about you, buddy! I'm a long-time trumpet/soprano bugle player, and have done work with the Blue Knights D&B Corp. Which Corp did you march with?

You probably read above that I went to the Air Force Academy, so I also find it interesting that you were stationed at West Point for a period of time. While I was at the Academy, I also marched with the USAFA D&B Corp. While obviously we didn't compete or interact with DCI, it was still fun most of the time.

Fantastic to read about your Christian ministries as well. Hang in there, and God Bless!

Chris

CHRIS
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Chris:

I am older than you so you probably don't remember the D&B Corps. I marched with. Regardless, I marched with the Mariners and Kilties. I marched in a time when DCI was in it's infancy and each Corps. had to do an "inspection" prior to marching (checked for shoe shine, cleanliness of instruments, haircut, uniform, etc.) --- lots different than today. I'd dare to say that when I marched with the Mariners we were on the cutting edge of the spectacle D&B has become. We shot off fireworks during our show and as Drum Major, I threw a sword around. We really pushed the envelope back then.

I don't know if you had the pleasure of visiting West Point but it is a really beautiful area of New York State and the history of the Academy and area is awesome.

I got into Christian ministeries when I worked for MCI some years ago. A guy I worked with was a Pentacostal Minister and besides working with the troubled youth in his community, he worked with the inmates at the local jail and state prison. One day we were talking and he felt I had something to share with these people and it was one of the best blessings I have had --- the chance to pray with those far less fortunate than me and with the hope of trying to help them find the right path in life. Quite powerful!

Take care and God Bless!!!

Jim
                                  jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• ht_addict
                                    • Dec 2002

Hey fellow HT-NUTS,

I'm a 35yr young HT nut, who got into the hobby in 97 when I lived in the US(3yrs). My wife of 11yrs had just finished her PH.D and had the opportunity to work at the National Institute of Health just outside DC on her post-doc. Unfortunatley due to our VISA status I couldn't work for the first while, and when I wanted to I had to write a letter to the NIS explaining why I wanted to work and where the money was being spent(I wasn't allowed to support the family). Well since I wasn't working I spent alot of time at BestBuy and local audio stores just checking things out. So my letter to the NIS basically told them I wanted use my earning to tour the surrounding states and pursue my hobby(HT). Thanks to the NIS I got my foot into the HT door(Sony SA-V10 DPL setup). Now my wife and I are back in Canada, she's at the Ministry Of The Environement(Ontario), I'm in retail where I've been for 8yrs. We have a 15yr old boy, dog and cat. My HT has blossemed into what you see below. Thank god for buy now, pay later with no interest. Other hobbies include, computers, baseball and watching hockey.

ht_addict(Kevin)

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                      • Oct 2002

Great idea!

I made some good friends here, like Jimmy. We are communicating with each other by e-mails and helping each other out with different gears and problems, because we like the same products and companies.

I'm a 34 years old french canadian. I did learn english when I was around 17. I speak italian too.

I'm a pharmacist. I own 2 pharmacies. 75 employes. The only place in north america where the owner of a pharmacy can only be a pharmacist is in Quebec. We are still fighting to keep that exclusivity. So the big chains can't own a pharmacy here.

I'm married since 11 years with the same women. We have a little 16 months old daughter.

We own 2 houses. My main house is on a lake. 5 minutes from work. Here's a link to my view.

So proud to be a canadian. No pollution, no traffic, no noise. Neighbors are all friendly and helpful. Everyone knows each other. Mother nature at her best!

We are adding a section to the house right know. A living-room with panoramic windows with view on the lake, and a 15X24 dedicated HT/listening room.

I'm an HT nut. Going to put a 120'' diagonal screen with probably a Marantz S3. Not sure yet. room tratments and evrything. I'm living far from any big city, so I can't hire anyone to help me with planning those rooms. The contractor is really nice and helpful, but with no experience in building an HT. There's alot of contrator in my town, but none can do a dedicated HT. Sigh.

So I fish alot. All summer I'm out there fishing and trying different lakes. In winter, it's usually around -30 to -40 celsius (yes celsius) so we do alot of indoor activities, snow mobile, skating etc.

Nice forum in here.
                                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• mazuly
                                        • Feb 2003

Hi,

This is an interesting thread.

I am a 36 years old and single guy living in Canada’s capital city of Ottawa. I moved to this country in 89 and have been mostly dealing with the same shop since around 91 or so. I have been always interested in music and have had stereo systems since I was maybe 8 years old (boom boxes ). The HT addiction was started when I first heard a Dolby Prologic system from HK about maybe 10 years ago and had to buy it with all the speakers to go with it. The rest is history I guess.

I am a mechanical engineer graduated from Carleton University and have worked in fiber optic and telecommunications industry as an application engineer ever since. Presently I work as a consultant for a fiber optic company which is nice since I can work and listen to music in my own home on my wonderful gear.

My other passion in life except HT is kart racing. I purchased my first go-kart (Rotax Max Engine with a BRM chassis) about 3 years ago and have been having fun with it ever since. Last summer I finally had the courage to start racing it in Montreal and Quebec Cup with all the 17 to 20 years olds and man oh man it was fun. I may be too old by comparison to the other guys and I am, believe me, but I have been finishing not last at the races which is good enough for me . I can’t wait for all the snow to melt to start this year’s season. Buying a HT gear and a go-kart has been the best money I have ever spent on anything to this date .

Well that’s it I guess.

Maziar

Comment

• spiffnme
                                          • Apr 2003

OK, I'll play.

I'm 31 years old. I grew up in Southern Maine and NH, but moved to Los Angeles in 1994. My birthday is a bit of a sweet and sour date, as I share my birthday with a couple of my favorite celebs, (Moby, Brian DePalma) but it's also 9/11. Blech...How much did THAT birthday suck?

My boyfriend and I have been happily together for 5 years now, and are currently looking to purchase our first home. (DANG it's expensive in
                                          LA!)

I am one of the lucky folks in LA who have a very short commute to work. 5 minutes door-to-door. (If you're from LA you know how special that is!) I've been working for IMAX for four years now, handling various digital post production tasks. My primary function is digital film recording.

I've been a bit of a HT/Audio junky since high school. I bought my first "high end" speakers, Snell Acoustics Type K/II's, nearly 12+ years ago. (They're still being used today!) I dream of someday having a dedicated HT room with a nice front projection display, but until then I'll have to do what I can with our living room.

Other than audio, my only other passion is tennis. I began playing when I met my bf. He has played most of his life, and I'd alway thought it looked like fun. I was right!

From the sounds of some of the other people who've posted before me, I get the impression that I'm on the exteme other end of the political/religious spectrum. It's good to know that we've all got the common bond of home audio to keep us friends.

Thank you to Lex for pointing out this thread. I'm one of those guys who hangs out at Club Rotel mostly.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                                          All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Don't fret Spiff, my adorable 5 year old niece's birthday is the same date. (She's had me wrapped around her little finger since day one ops: )

Man, working at IMAX must be a bit of a double edged sword eh? It would definately get you in to HT :P :P but when you come home do you wonder where all the magic is?

On a side note... a lot of you folks have done/do some pretty cool stuff for a living.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                                              • May 2003

Well here goes,
                                              I tend to lurk a lot, writing down specs and component sizes.
                                              Planning as much as i can with money, frankly, that never seems to come quickly enough. heh
                                              i'm 33 this year. Been going out with my hunny bunny for 9 years.
                                              Thankfully, she's my voice of reason every time i get all stoked and feel like impulse shopping at the local HT store.
                                              I'm a microbiologist by trade. A virologist to be exact.
                                              Currently i'm assigned to the Polio section here at Aventis Labs, formulating the polio vaccine which most of yer young ones are getting.
                                              I like: badminton (don't laugh-its tougher than you think), comic books, Biology, HT, and hockey (Goooo leafs! - Sorry Levesque)
                                              I got into this stuff a long time ago (well for me anyways). Dad bought a VCR on the first day they came out, and it wasn't long after i was watching flicks like Star Wars in my own home (OOOooooh!).
                                              Heh.
                                              Actually, come to think of it, i bought a DVD player they day they came out here in Toronto. funny.
                                              Anyways, we bought our first house here in Maple, Ontario (close to Wonderland) that has this unfinished, potentially awesome HT basement.
                                              I'm at the point where i'm saving up for my 3rd gen HT system.
                                              THIS one will be Front Projection based. i swear!
                                              I've been collecting Paradigm's Ref v3's so far this year.
                                              Got the 20's and the CC470. April will see the arrival of the 60's. Then its on to some Rotel collection (1068/1075). Then i'm gonna start looking at some Entry DLP projects (the sp4805 is looking Awfully sweet!).
                                              Nice to meet you all, it feels like i know most of you just from reading countless posts.
                                              I feel this board is probably the nicest one i've been to.
                                              Not as many sticklers as some HTforums ruled by tyrants.

Cheers,
                                              Michael
                                              P.S. i can see why mazuly loves cartin so much, i had a bud Peter Dilello, who used to race on the circuits down south and he let me try his twin turbo cart out once...it was a blast.
                                              Here's a current HT status Pic:

-----------------------------------
                                              "Some days yer the Dog, others yer the Hydrant."
                                              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                                              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• spiffnme
                                                • Apr 2003

Ooops...I forgot to mention other than audio and tennis, I do have one other passion. It's unfortunately been put on the back burner as of late, because we're trying to save some dough. I collect original comic book artwork. Specifically pages from the book Daredevil. I've collected and read Daredevil for nearly 20 years. (shoot I'm getting old!) I've got pretty much my entire artwork collection posted on my website. Take a look, it's pretty cool stuff.

-Craig

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• spiffnme
                                                  • Apr 2003

Mod can delete this post. It was an accident.

ops:

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• Neal_C
                                                    • Feb 2003

Great idea Doug

I just wish I wasn't one of the ones with the D-Link router problem, but such is the way technology works sometimes.

I'm a 26 year old Texan, born and raised. Married for a year and a half, no kids, with no short term plans to have any. We got into home theater about 4 years ago while we were just dating. Our system started out as a 25" tv, with a hifi vcr and a HTIB and has progressed farther than we thought our pocketbooks would allow

I'm currently unemployed, but only because my wife is so wonderful. Truth is, I have been playing golf since I was 5 and always wanted to play professionally, but never had the funds to pay the rent and risk not getting a guaranteed paycheck at the same time. But now the wife has a good enough job, and I am very excited about pursuing my dream. I will be starting small, with hopes of playing on tv at some point in my career.

We met in college and both have marketing degrees...just that she actually uses hers

Here are my pics in the gallery:

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Apr 2003

Hi there!

My thanks to HT guide for allowing us this opportunity....

Now, a little about me. I was born 56 years ago in NJ and raised there till leaving for college. During my teen years I developed a good ear for music which eventually lead me to invest the hard earned $$ I made as a bussboy in a newly emerging technology called "stereo".

During college I caught the upgrade "bug" and would frequently turn over my equipment for the latest by selling off my then current system to other students.

After my graduation I became a US Naval Aviator and had to temporarily relinquish my hobby due to the limited space available aboard ship (I would have died for the likes of an MP3 player..lol).

After Viet Nam I was released from active duty for the first time and went out into the civilian world working world as a project engineer/manager in the mechanical systems arena. During this time I also earned my Masters and Doctorate. There were quite a few advancements in audio coming along and I dabbled in most of them including "quadraphonics" if anyone else is old enough to remember that. I even built my own main speakers using Tannoy Monitor Gold drivers. They were quite satisfying at that time.

Since I was focusing on my career and raising a family for quite awhile I did not have either the time or the $$ to do much upgrading. In the early 90s the home movie concept with surround sound caught my attention, and I was one of the first of my acquaintences to even know what Dolby surround,and Dolby Pro Logic even meant, let alone have the equipment.

In 1996 I relocated here to South Florida selling all my "older" equipment before I left NJ. I managed to "get along" with just an entry level DPL &DTS receiver for a few years as I lived in a smaller place and really didn't spend much time at home.

Three years ago I met the gal who was to become my new bride and we setteled down, so it was time to build my first real HT system to help entertain us. Since that time the upgradeitus bug has set in for both of us. We have moved to a much larger home, dictating of course a much larger system, and our first excursion into "separates".

Here in South Florida I have my own business that designs and builds luxury homes. (Real luxury homes ie $2 mil and up) Naturally, I make sure these homes come equipped with dedicated theater rooms, so I get the pleasure of putting together two or three new systems a year.

The whole family really enjoys watching great looking and great sounding movies at home. I am blessed with a wife who is musically inclinded and really enjoys listening to the stuff so I have limited/no problems with WAF.

That's about it, nothing real exciting.

Jerry Rappaport
                                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Where to start? Oh, okay. . . .

I'm 45 and married to a pretty wonderful woman named Jenice. We have two kids, a son - 19, and a daughter - 17. I was born in Tyler, TX, but being an Air Force baby was raised in practically every Gulf Coast state with an air base. However, I didn't pursue a career in the military after high school/college as girls, partying and playing around took precedence.

I wound up working in the oil & gas exploration & production industry - in Houston, TX of course. First as a mapper, then involved with surveying, then IT (application and systems support and programming), then GIS, and then finally as an Oracle DBA. I was with Exxon, Shell and Occidental for 25 years in total. It all came to an end last November when the need for a career change became obvious. I'm now living in our (what was supposed to be our retirement place) house on Orcas Island in Washington state, building custom homes. This is a throwback to an aborted two-year career from my college days. I've always loved building and now I'm getting a second chance to do it for real. Jen and the kids are still in Houston - Jen's still "in the oil patch" for a while longer, so I'm batch'ing it up here for a while. YUCK!

My love of all things cinema started as a kid. My best buddy and I would go downtown on Saturdays (back in Tyler) to the Arcadia, Liberty and Tyler theaters to catch all those great movies from the 1960s - anyone remember Ice Station Zebra? We'd sit down in the front row and let Hollywood carry us away on some great journeys. Music came a bit later, with my discovery of rock 'n roll in the later '60s. I started my vinyl collection about that time and it's been with me ever since. At least, those albums that didn't get. . . gulp. . . replaced when CDs came out - I know, I know. I finally came to my senses though, and quit that nonsense. I had quite the VHS collection of movies for a time, and that's where it stayed until the advent of DVDs. Unfortunately I never really became acquainted with laser disc technology until it was over and being phased out, so I missed out on high quality versions of many movies - Star Wars anyone? My DVD collection started just as soon as they became available. I still catch as many films as possible and try to review them in the At The Movies forum where I'm a moderator. I have to admit I've fallen a bit behind and have 4 or 5 to write up.
                                                        ops:

I joined HT Guide back when it started in 2000, but didn't get really active until 2001. Oh, I'll take advantage here to say that even though we may not be the biggest forum around (yet), this is as good a group of people as any I'd ever want to meet and hang with.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                        Our "Theater"
                                                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2004

Hi there Mr Levesque!

I have been looking trying to find the three quebecers on this site..I found Audiofil...He is pretty close to me...and now I found you. Nice pic`s! We have beautiful places too...right!

I live in Terrebonne and do have many customers from your neck of the woods..but they come to me!

Anyway I hope you post your pic`s of your HT being built ...the progress..the questions the descisions...so and so on...I love that kinda stuff there is a place here for custom home theaters.

Anyway take care la!

Bam!
                                                          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                            ...(Oh, and Jason, since you brought it up, I'm originally from Colorado and a HUGE Denver Bronco and Colorado Avalanche fan. Did I mention the Avalanche are currently in 1st place in the whole NHL? )
                                                            Originally posted by aud19
                                                            ...I'm sure my boys will overcome them again
                                                            And they have! Numero Uno in their division! With any luck and some hardwork on their part hopefully they'll end the season there too :P

Jason

Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 23:09 Tuesday.
                                                            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Jason, yeah, I saw that the two teams are tied today, with the Canucks having the tiebreaker due to the way the records stack up. Of course, I'm disappointed that the Avs have lost the last few games, for whatever reason, without giving excuses as to why they lost. They had their own fate in their hands, and have slowly let it slip away.

I'm sorry to say, though, that I have no respect for the situation. Normally, I would really welcome a challenge match with any other high points team, as a potentially good game that would be fun to watch. i.e. I always look forward to Avalanche vs. Red Wing games, as it's a good, deep, rivalry that has good hockey in it, whether we win or lose. But if the Avalanche never play the Canucks again, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Bertuzzi's assault on the ice has left a bad aftertaste in my mouth for the game of hockey that I love to watch. All friendly admiration I had for him as a player and the Canuck team as competitors vanished in the minute that he carried out that blindside attack and the team's initial actions. I will never forget seeing Marc Crawford, our own ex-coach, smirking as Moore fell to the ice with a broken neck, unconscious in his own pool of blood and THEN Bertuzzi continued the attack on this man by jumping on top of him.

Had the attack been a brutal, legal check from the front, I would be deeply sad, but accept it as a VERY unfortunate side effect of the physical nature of hockey. However, such a monsterous event has no place on any street corner in the world, much less in any sporting event. It is not an ounce more than a cowardly, despicable thing that brings shame and dishonor on Bertuzzi and the Canucks, and drags down all of hockey in the process.

Vancouver's actions AFTER the assault give me hope. However, any chance that Vancouver will ever be considered an actual rival to the Avalanche has disappeared in my mind. Should these two teams meet in the Stanley Cup playoffs, I don't even know if I would watch the games. Should Vancouver win the division, I won't care in the slightest, only be disappointed that the Avalanche lost it to some nameless team. I do know that if Bertuzzi ever plays hockey again, I will never watch or attend any event that he participates in, ESPECIALLY if he works to get back on the ice and Moore never walks again, much less plays street hockey. Hoping for a return to professional ice hockey for Moore will be a goal, but not very likely.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think such a horrible act needs to be taken off the ice and out of the sport, (it doesn't even have a place IN the sport) and I have little ill will towards Canuck fans or the city of Vancouver itself. So there's certainly no problems here, and you're still A-OK! I will continue to cheer my Avs, and root them on here in the Guide and elsewhere. But I hope you can understand that I really have no desire anymore to talk about Vancouver vs. the Avs, and must politely decline the opportunity.

Take care, bud!

CHRIS
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2003

First let me say that I agree that what Bertuzzi did should not exist anywhere in any sport. It was stupid and he deserved the lengthly suspension he recieved. If only the NHL consistently gave such penalties for such stupid actions I can only assume they'd all but dissapear from the game. Within the weeks after the "Bertuzzi incident" there have been numerous similar attacks some even with sticks swung like weapons between entirely different players and teams and none of them received a suspension anywhere close to Bertuzzi's. Messier, a "golden boy" of the NHL (and noted for sometimes being a bit of a dirty player himself) was given a mere 2-game suspension for a viscious spearing. Is it because he's likely retiring and a soon to be hall-of famer..? I'm not trying to sugar coat at all what Bertuzzi did or saying he was unjustly punished, I'm saying the league needs to severely punish ALL events like this one, not just ones that were over hyped by the media, (which this was). Also if the league, if they had any brains at all, would have suspended Moore for even 1 or 2 games on the initial Naslund hit weeks before. I'm sure the Canucks and Bertuzzi in particular would have had much less desire to serve up their own brand of justice on him if the league had done their job. The league f'd up there, big time, IMO. You don't see them accepting any responsibility for the situation though do you?

Here's a list of NHL supensions after Bertuzzi's:
                                                                MAR 16 CHRIS PRONGER CALGARY KICKING
                                                                ST. LOUIS VILLE NIEMINEN
                                                                1 GAME

MAR 18 DONALD AUDETTE NY ISLANDERS KICKING
                                                                FLORIDA SVEN BUTENCHON
                                                                2 GAMES

MAR 18 RONALD PETROVICKY BUFFALO KNEEING
                                                                ATLANTA J.P. DUMONT
                                                                1 GAME

MAR 21 DARRYL SUTTER NASHVILLE PLAYER SELECTION/
                                                                CALGARY TEAM CONDUCT
                                                                2 GAMES

MAR 21 KRZYSZTOF OLIWA NASHVILLE ABUSE OF OFFICIALS
                                                                CALGARY
                                                                3 GAMES

MAR 22 MARK MESSIER PITTSBURGH SPEARING
                                                                NY RANGERS MARTIN STRBAK
                                                                2 GAMES

MAR 22 Y-WADE BELAK COLORADO HIGH-STICKING
                                                                TORONTO OSSI VAANANEN

MAR 23 CHRIS SIMON DALLAS KNEEING
                                                                CALGARY SERGEI ZUBOV
                                                                2 GAMES

MAR 25 MARTY TURCO EDMONTON HIGH-STICKING
                                                                DALLAS RYAN SMYTH
                                                                4 GAMES

MAR 25 JODY SHELLEY MINNESOTA THROWING PUNCH
                                                                COLUMBUS ALEX HENRY
                                                                3 GAMES

MAR 27 SCOTT NICHOL MINNESOTA SLASHING
                                                                CHICAGO FILIP KUBA
                                                                2 GAMES

APR 1 DARCY VEROT PITTSBURGH ELBOWING
                                                                WASHINGTON JON SIM
                                                                3 GAMES
                                                                Let me also clear up a couple points. First, I don't believe Bertuzzi "tackled" Moore after sucker punching him nor do I believe that was his intention. I think he meant to punch him and tried to grab him and fell on him in the process. Was the whole action stupid and wrong? Yes, absolutely. Did he intend to injure Moore past some bruises and a good fist fight, IMO, no. Second, there's is no way of saying when Moore's neck was injured. Was it when Bertuzzi fell on him or was it when the other players all "dog-piled" on top of both of them? Likely we'll never know. Third, Moore's neck was not broken it was fractured a VERY significant difference. A lot of mis-information has been over-hyped in the all to typical sensationalistic media about this. Like I said there's been quite a few incidents in the weeks since this unfortunate incident that were quite similar yet who remembers them? The media didn't cover them quite so fervently and as such people barely made a stink about them let alone the uproar this situation caused. The NHL didn't feel the need to punish those players as severely. Was it because the world wasn't watching? I think so.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• KS
                                                                  • Jun 2002

Great Idea Lex!

I haven't been around much lately but like all of you enjoy this forum. It's allot more personal than most with a very low "mine is better than yours" component.

I'm 53 (yikes, that's hard to look at!) and for the first time in some time am enjoying life.

I was raised in the kitchen cabinet business but after school, knowing my dad was a fool, went into the jewelry business to become an operations VP. At age 29 my dad was stricken with cancer so I took some time to know him. Didn't take long until I realized he was genius and a great guy to boot. After his death I took over his kitchen business and eventually sold it with the proceeds going to my mother. I opened a cabinet business of my own where we manufactured and sold medium to high end cabinetry.

Through all of these things my true (and only) talent was sales. Now I own a sales agency that represents manufacturers throughout the Midwestern US. My best line is from Quebec and we sell millions of dollars in product annually.

I have a wonderful wife named Anne Marie and I have a son 31 and a daughter 27. My son married a girl from Greece and they blessed us with the real treasure of our life, a granddaughter named Charlotte Anne. This beautiful little girl was stricken with a rare form of cancer last September with doctors giving us little hope for Charlotte to see Christmas. That was the last post I made on this forum and I apologize for not returning.

Well around a month ago Charlotte was declared in full remission and cancer free. While the surgeons, oncologists, and hematologists are fighting about who gets credit for this "miraculous" cure I know the real answer. It was prayer. Ours and hundreds of people we have never met, including some on this forum. This wonderful little girl now has a future and if I die today I WIN!

As for HT I always loved music and movies but never had the means to chase the hobby. My son went to college, he majored in girls My daughter was told she should probably learn a skill as academically she probably couldn't make it. Well it took her a while but she worked her butt off and is now an RN and in charge of a delivery ward at a local hospital.

After I finally got them out of college and on their own I purchased the "best" HT speaker system available, Bose AM10! Needless to say that didn't last and now have a system centered around Aerial LR5s, CC5 and SW12s supported by Tag Mclaren, Denon, Classe and Theta. I love it!

Sorry to ramble on so long but I want to add huge thank you to Lex and everyone who offered support and prayers during or darkest days. In the last six months I have been humbled and awed by the good will of others.

Thank You
                                                                  Ken Stokes

PS My wife and I are spending most of our retirement money to open a day care for Chemo kids, I think it is sorely needed. After seeing what these kids go through they deserve whatever they can get. So that probably ends my equipment spending for some time but I'll be lurking often!

PPSS In case my son reads this I'm very proud of you also. I wish you had studied harder but that would have changed everything and maybe we wouldn't have Charlotte. So I love you and am proud to speak of you. Whew!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Right on, Ken. This is an awesome group of people here on the Guide. So good to hear about you and your family!

CHRIS
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2000

Okay....everyone should be posting here...

My turn my turn!

I'm 35, Electronics engineer....Born and raised in Geneva , Switzerland..
                                                                      Been married almost 9 years....still don't know how she has put up with it for so long ^^;;;

Anyway, We are currently living in Tokyo, Japan , I can't believe how much equipment I have imported from the US to Japan...o_O.
                                                                      Our HT is located in our living room....(our Apartment is 500sqft !!)
                                                                      I have travelled throughout Asia training Service Engineers for the company I work for.

No kids yet....we just have 3 cats....2 of which I brought back with me from Chicago... :B

They enjoy watching movies with us by taking over the couch !
                                                                      Their favorite movie : Finding Nemo.

I haven't been posting as much as I wanted ...not enough time...always on the move...
                                                                      Been member of the HTGuide for...3 years? something like that ^_^;;;
                                                                      so I should have 11000 posts like Doug ! o_O
                                                                      *grin*

We are currently getting ready to move to NY state (Orange County),as I have been promoted Project Manager for the company I work for.
                                                                      So we are now looking at a house...WITH a basement ^_^...to put ...we know what in there ..*grin*

hmm what else...I like aviation, vintage cars, rebuilt several Posche 356 super 90s, rebuilt my 1958 VW microbus that was owned by the swiss military(it had all sorts of cool accessories in it !),worked on some Alfa Romeo...

ok..I'll leave some space for everyone else...as there should be about 1900 posts in this thread!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jariten
                                                                        I have been promoted Project Manager for the company I work for
                                                                        Congratulations Tony! :T :T :T

Hey, I got the flip!!!! Oops, wrong thread. :

Comment

• Jariten
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2000

Hi Dave!

Thanks !

this stay in Japan has allowed me to put all the equipment together....
                                                                          =)
                                                                          Of course I'm still buying toys....doing a 2 channel stup just for my wife..
                                                                          got the amp..next is an acuphase 75v CD player...
                                                                          then speakers when we will be setteld down...in a house....

*grin*

The joys of packing audio/video equipment o_O

T. :B

Comment

• Robbie
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 256

Hi everyone,

This is the second time I've tried to write this little blurb about myself but here goes.

I,m a 40 something field engineer working for a NASA contractor flying TDRSS satellites. A cool job at times.

I'm originally from Florida (St Pete) at least that's what I called home for a long time. Then I got this wild hair and spent 21 years in the toughest job in the Air Force, ok 2 toughest jobs. OK maybe 1 toughest job and a cake walk.

Anyways, I've been married 19 years to the same patient woman. We have a son who's in the army stationed in Colorado.

We picked living in NM for the climate and beautiful countryside.

The current interests in my life are my HT which lately has been collecting some dust. Hopefully that will change but right now my life is "SO MANY THINGS, SO LITTLE TIME". Work :cry: and motorcycling. It seems motorcycling has taken much of my spare $ and time.

Things are moving full circle and I'm begining to yearn for water again and began thinking about getting back toward the beach, buying a sailboat and taking to the seas, OK maybe not the seas but at least doing a little sailing.

Somehow my urges always cost me $$$

Well that's more than anyone probably cares to hear about me so .......

Robbie

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 8938

#39
                                                                              Tracking & Data Relay satelllites eh? Now, THAT'S a cool job Robbie! :T

Comment

• Robbie
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 256

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by David Meek
                                                                                Tracking & Data Relay satelllites eh? Now, THAT'S a cool job Robbie! :T
                                                                                Yeah it has it's moments. 2 oclock in the morning is not one of em. :Z

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 104

#41
                                                                                  Hello All,

I've been in the forum before, but it had been so long since I logged in that I forgot my username and password ops: . I'm 25 and live in Athens, OH which is in the southeast (beautiful) portion of the state. I am the Environmental Safety Coordinator for Ohio University (my alma mater). What is an Environmental Safety Coodinator? Well, I oversee programs like indoor air quality, asbestos, lead paint, industrial hygiene, infectious waste, lab safety, and biosafety for the university. I really enjoy it, though most people refer to me as "That OSHA guy". :T

Anyway, I was born in Columbus, OH, but I am not an Ohio State Buckeyes fan. I've been dating the same lovely young lady for 3 years and I just recently established a "ring fund" for...well you all know. That really keeps me from adding to my system, but that's ok b/c she's worth it.

My Dad was my main influence in developing an interest in music and hifi. He owned some good gear when I was young and I made sure to abuse it every chance I had. I managed to blow his speakers :E and that's really what started things for me.

Other than hifi, I love hiking, fishing, reading and collecting music. I just wanted to say that this forum is an outstanding resource, especially for beginners like me!

Thanks,

ck
                                                                                  Christopher

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 16706

#42
                                                                                    Welcome Christopher Love the user name

I too have a ring fund...doesn't seem to be growing fast enough though....

Jason
                                                                                    Jason

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2004
                                                                                      • 104

#43
                                                                                      Jason,

I know what you mean about the ring fund. I just moved all my tax return money over to the fund, which was a depressing moment. This time last year I was thinking of all the great things I'd do with that money...

Now, it is sitting there, calling me to spend it. Must have will power, must have will power...
                                                                                      Christopher

Comment

• dave
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 434

#44
                                                                                        Well I guess I'll give this a whirl.

My wife and I live in the "Pacific Northwest" (31 acres looking at MT. Rainier)
                                                                                        weve been Married 27 Years and have 3 kids the oldest being our Daughter
                                                                                        "Cherise" she just turned 23 then theres "Grant" he just turned 21 and last
                                                                                        but not least is "Philip" he is 19 and still living at home.
                                                                                        Our Hobbies are,
                                                                                        #1 Horses
                                                                                        #2 Going out for a drive
                                                                                        #3 Music
                                                                                        #4 Our Dog, (aussie wolf hybrid mix)
                                                                                        #5 our Cat, she's a good mouse hunter
                                                                                        #6 HT. Guide. You are a great bunch of people !!!!!!!
                                                                                        #7 Watching Classic and I mean OLD movies from the 40s and 50s we collect
                                                                                        them.

The HT consists of,
                                                                                        A. Cal-Audio, Alpha Delta, transport d/a converter with the transport having
                                                                                        the Signiture Mods done to it. The D/A is valve

B.VTL linestage Pre-Amp with rolled tubes (Mullards) from upscale audio

C. Rotel RSP 1066 pre-pro this handles the Center and Surrounds

D. Rotel RMB-1095 5 ch. amp.

E. Sony 43 inch TV

F. Speakers are Vandersteen 3 front, Vandersteen 2 rears, Bose 901 series six
                                                                                        center. To be replaced with Vandersteen product in the future. The sub is a M/K.

Soon to be added, Hi end turntable, Linn- VPI- or Rega
                                                                                        and also VTL Tube Mono-Blocks for better stereo reproduction as well as a good phono stage.

I've been collecting music for many, many years and have found that it's
                                                                                        one of the greatest things on this earth.
                                                                                        the other thing that I enjoy doing alot is reading and researching the music that I listen to, it adds something to the listening experience.

I am self Employed and own a Interior Millwork installation company that
                                                                                        consists of my 2 sons and a very close friend of 18years.
                                                                                        we do anything from half a million dollar homes to mid 150 thousand dollar
                                                                                        homes. My wife works harder than I do taking care of the house and the animals.

Regards, Dave...
                                                                                        Dave...

Comment

• kdrdoc
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • May 2004
                                                                                          • 1

#45
                                                                                          Hello

A quick hello from a new member....

I'm 35, live in sunny Sarasota, FL for a few more weeks before
                                                                                          moving to Rhode Island for work...

I was planning on upgrading my DVD palyer, but the work transfer has put the brakes on that for now...

My HT is a tad old (can you say time to upgrade??) and I welcome
                                                                                          any ideas or suggestions to make it better....

- Onkyo Integra TX-SV919 with the Onkyo THX speakers (bought it as a package back in 1995)

- Sony DVP-S330 (Need to replace )

- Panasonic CT-34WX50 34"

I was thinking of getting the Denon DVD-2200 or 2900.....I don't really care
                                                                                          about the DVD-A or SACD....just want a unit that will last a few yrs and had top notch video.

hope ya'll got a chuckle from my system.... :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"