X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

LCR Meter Recommendations?

I've got a decent Fluke DMM, but I've had an itch to get an LCR meter as well. I've tried a couple of them over the last few years, but both were junk (low precision in the proper use of the term; accuracy was also highly suspect compared to my Fluke DMM).

Any recommendations in the under $200 price point or would I be wasting money/time at this level?
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I think it's pretty hard to get something really usable for things like speaker crossovers at that price point. YMMV, but I would recommend something like this B&K precision 879B:

At Tequipment it's a skosh under $300.

I use one.

40,000 counts resolution on primary and 10,000 counts resolution on secondary display
    L, C, R, and Z primary measurements
    Automatic calculation of secondary parameters D, Q, Theta, ESR
    Fast auto range design for rapid, easy component measurements
    Relative mode
    Visible and audible tolerance mode
    Backlit display
    Data Hold and Min/Max/Average recording
    USB (Virtual COM) interface
    SCPI compliant commands for remote communication
    Software for datalogging and front panel emulation available as free download
    Configurable power-up-states

It also can do measurements at either 1kHz or 10kHz; the latter necessary for accuracy with small value caps and inductors.

Now, if you have a Dayton DATS setup from Parts Express for measuring loudspeaker impedance curves, you already have a basic LCR meter, but the inductance range isn't quite up to what I need fro crossover component testing- but for many, it will be adequate. DATS is under $120. But it takes a PC to have a working tool, whereas the B&K has a display and all the other stuff.

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Reet
      • Dec 2007

Do you have a resistor and a sound card or usb audio interface?
      https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• Bear
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        I think it's pretty hard to get something really usable for things like speaker crossovers at that price point. YMMV, but I would recommend something like this B&K precision 879B:

At Tequipment it's a skosh under $300.

I use one.
        [..]
        Now, if you have a Dayton DATS setup from Parts Express for measuring loudspeaker impedance curves, you already have a basic LCR meter, but the inductance range isn't quite up to what I need fro crossover component testing- but for many, it will be adequate. DATS is under $120. But it takes a PC to have a working tool, whereas the B&K has a display and all the other stuff.
        I've got DATS v2 so an upgrade to V3 seems in order. I had expected the answer given what I was seeing, but I thought that I would check.

Originally posted by Reet
        Do you have a resistor and a sound card or usb audio interface?
        I've got a bunch of resistors, and spare caps, and inductors...

The issue is that I have several older kits where the caps were purposefully glued on the information label to obscure the values, and the inductors have long since lost whatever label might have been attached.
        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Reet
          • Dec 2007

Just use your DATS to measure the parts then...the DATS you have will do it just fine. No need to shell out another $200 to determine part values of salvaged parts.
          https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• 6thplanet
            • Aug 2023

I use a BK 878, very handy unit and a bit cheaper than the 879 suggested above. The 878 doesn't have the ESR feature of the 879, but the DATS will give that. I like the hand held LCR for working on equipment, the DATS is fine for crossover work.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"