Removable Front Baffle for Statements - Is This Possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlammert
    • Dec 2007

Removable Front Baffle for Statements - Is This Possible?

I am getting ready to upgrade my Statements to Statement IIs.

During this process, I am going to completely build new cabinets for them. My current Statements are 10+ years old and I just want a new look.

I am wanting to do a solid wood front baffle.

I also want to make this removable.

#1 - for different expansion/contraction rates of the wood versus MDF.

#2 - it would be cool to be able to keep the cabinets as is and change out different front baffle designs over time.

Does anyone see issue with doing this?

I see a lot of posts for removable front baffles on bookshelf and smaller speakers. But, could not find anything for floor standing speakers.

I was thinking of adding a 1-2 inch "lip" around the front of the cabinet to then bolt the front baffles to. Using speaker gasket around the perimeter.

My design is almost complete, except for this sticking point.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

I built speakers with sapele baffles about 8 years ago, if not more. I did a floating baffle which is attached with threaded inserts, bolts through the center brace (back is also removable) and gasket tape. The wood was only sealed with wax(applied yearly) and there hasn't been an issue. If you don't mind exposed hardware on the front baffle, it would be possible to attach hardwood to an existing cabinet, but be sure the through holes are oversized.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• mlammert
      • Dec 2007

Sapele is a beautiful wood.

I have not decided exactly on what hardwood I want to use yet. One of the reason why I want to make them removable. Ha ha. So many beautiful choices.

Yes, through holes oversized for movement.

I do not mind exposed hardware on the front baffle. In fact, my idea is to recess some anodized hex bolts which I think could look very cool.

How many bolts did you use? On something like the Statements, which have 11.5" wide by 55" tall front baffles, would you have a recommendation on the number of bolts?

Also, I came across some really old thread where someone was saying since the Statements have the mid tunnels, that you would need bolts towards the interior of the baffle and just not around the perimeter of the baffle, so that the seal is good around the mid tunnels as well. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

I used 6 for a 16" tall baffle.

You may be fine with bolts around the edges of the baffle as long as they're also in the vicinity of the tunnels.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"