X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eb15
    • Sep 2006

Misc. driver distortion measurements

Here are some (poorly done) REW/jbox distortion measurements that
    I did this morning to help me decide on some driver and crossover ideas.
    I'm still a newbie at this...

hardware: jbox where supplied electret microphone was approx 1 meter away.
    snell k cabinet used though some drivers didn't quite fit...

First up 8" woofers

dayton dsa215-8 8" designer series aluminum cone
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dsa215-distortion.png
Views:	384
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	929226

dayton da215-8 8" aluminum cone

Name:	da215-distorition.png
Views:	348
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	929227

dayton rss210hf-4 aluminum cone

Name:	rs210hf-4-distortion.png
Views:	341
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	929228

10" dayton dsa270-8 designer series aluminum cone sticking out an inch or two from 8" woofer hole.

Name:	dsa270-dist.png
Views:	349
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	929229

5" dayton dsa135-8 designer series aluminum cone, not quite fitting into a smaller type M cabinet on top of type k box

Name:	dsa135-dist.png
Views:	345
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	929230

next up assorted tweeters for a 2-way

seas 19tff1 3/4"

Name:	19tffc-dist.png
Views:	350
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	929231

peerless d19td05 3/4" (purchased recently through parts-express.com)

Name:	d19-new-dist.png
Views:	351
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	929232

sb acoustics sb19st-c000-4 3/4"

Name:	sb19-dist.png
Views:	349
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	929233

sb acoustics sb26st-c000-5 1"

Name:	sb26st-dist.png
Views:	353
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	929234

peerless bc25tg15-04 1"

Name:	bc25-dist.png
Views:	339
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	929235

dayton dc28f fabric dome

Name:	dc28f-dist.png
Views:	345
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	929236

dayton old rs28a aluminum dome

Name:	rs28a-dist.png
Views:	344
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	929237

• eb15
    • Sep 2006

Mods you can move this.
    I didn't realize there was a driver testing sub category

Comment

• eb15
      • Sep 2006

Started project to rebuild a snell type m cabinet with current drivers, and crossover parts.
      An initial Type M redesign. Snell Type M cabinet is 7.5-in wide 11-in tall 5.5-in deep.
      driver rebates need rework to fit new new drivers.
      dayton designer series 5" aluminum cone woofer
      sb acoustics SB19ST tweeter

Click image for larger version  Name:	type-m-redesign.png Views:	0 Size:	199.0 KB ID:	929617 2-way crossover in the style of Peter Snell's original type k, e, etc. speakers.
      12dB/octave electrical around 2500Hz. Low parts count. (no zobels, etc.)
      Woofer crossover has some baffle step compensation. (the slope between 200Hz and 1000Hz)
      Recommended parts: solen 16ga air core inductors, clarity cap pur caps, mundorf m-resist 20W resistor.
      Attached Files

Comment

• eb15
        • Sep 2006

Snell K bookshelf speaker rebuild with the inexpensive Dayton DA215 aluminum cone woofer and seas 19tffc 3/4" tweeter.
        I prefer the seas 3/4" here to the current peerless D19. worth the upgrade cost here replacing aged and slightly defective tweeters.
        Using original inductors. Replace electrolytic cap stacks with Jantzen Z-standard 10uF.
        The relatively inexpensive Jantzen Z-standard caps works extremely well here.
        A preferred balance of sonic characteristics with these drivers, and convenient size, standard solid core leads, etc.
        Change out adjustable resistor in tweeter circuit to Mundorf MResist 20W fixed 8.2ohm wired after inductor.​Click image for larger version

Name:	snell-k-da215-seas19tff.png
Views:	181
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	930344

Comment

• eb15
          • Sep 2006

Snell K rebuild rev 2
          tweeter attenuation resistor position moved to original and tweeter phase inverted (though not showing up here)
          overall slight spectral tilt downward into the treble is a pleasant 'recessed behind the speaker's front plane' sound,
          reducing the tweeter pad to 6.8ohm should be flatter but sounds 'forward' in a way I don't like.

Name:	snell-k-da215-seas19ff-rev2.png
Views:	163
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	930636

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by eb15
            Started project to rebuild a snell type m cabinet with current drivers, and crossover parts.
            An initial Type M redesign. Snell Type M cabinet is 7.5-in wide 11-in tall 5.5-in deep.
            Is that right, only 5.5" deep?
            - Danny

Comment

• Reet
              • Dec 2007

There's some major phase issues in your measured data..Can you not see that? Are you using a real mic or USB?

https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• eb15
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by technodanvan

Is that right, only 5.5" deep?
                Yes for the little Snell M cabinet (grill removed)
                and the Snell K cabinet (grill removed) measures 18.5"x11"x 7.5"

There's some major phase issues in your measured data..Can you not see that? Are you using a real mic or USB?
                I did say (poorly done) meaning I haven't taken the time to read and comprehend all the docs for Vituix or REW.
                The JBOX supplied microphone is a Panasonic electret powered by the externally powered JBOX USB soundcard/amplifier/mic amplifier/switcher box which also measures impedance.
                I hope this link works... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804492315518.html

just a quick measurements using the SPL sweep signal in REW in a crowded family room probably containing lots of reflections.
                This was good enough for the basic response trends and distortion.

I hope to do more optimized measurements in the future.

Comment

• Reet
                  • Dec 2007

I did say (poorly done) meaning I haven't taken the time to read and comprehend all the docs for Vituix or REW.
                  The JBOX supplied microphone is a Panasonic electret powered by the externally powered JBOX USB soundcard/amplifier/mic amplifier/switcher box which also measures impedance.
                  I hope this link works... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804492315518.html
                  Neat, a commercially made measurement jig from China, with integrated USB audio interface. I'd question the quality of the audio interface and mic/calibration, but otherwise is a cool product, and perfectly usable for dual channel measurement with REW or ARTA.

just a quick measurements using the SPL sweep signal in REW in a crowded family room probably containing lots of reflections.
                  This was good enough for the basic response trends and distortion.
                  Reflections and lack of response processing is one thing, major error is timing/phase between woofer and tweeter. Tweeter looks like its a meter away from the woofer. This makes posts above with crossover design just useless information.

https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• eb15
                    • Sep 2006

The redesigned snell k distortion measurement with da215-8 woofer and seas 19tff tweeter.
                    I wanted to use up these drivers I had on hand and try to be as 'drop in replacement'
                    for the original driver cutouts and crossover circuit.

As can be expected the Dayton da215's distortion bump comes through in the complete speaker measurement.
                    overall response is reasonable.
                    You could do better distortion with either the "designer series" DSA215-8 (slightly more efficient)
                    or the Dayton RSS210HF-4 (less efficient) for a two-way speaker.

Name:	snell-k-da215-seas19tff-rev2-dist.png
Views:	145
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	930875

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"