X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

JADS- NatP HT, or high efficiency on wall/in wall MTM for HT

NOTE: This project is probably going to be converted to the Dayton SIG180-4 for the midwoofer- parts are on order as of May 29, expected by June 2 or 3.

Reason is smooth extended response and easier access in the USA. Choice is pending completing a measurement suite on the driver.

One of the things I realize is that in this new place, there is a potentially schizophrenic trend for audio needs-

On the one hand, there are going to be a lot of two channel audio "experiments" and systems going through cycles of test and evaluation, but on the other hand, for personal sanity and that of my wife, I think we need to have a relatively "stable" AV setup- that is, Audio-Video basically for disk movie watching and occasional streaming viewing.

And ideally, these systems shouldn't compete for space or electronics or whatever....

Steve had some discussions with an interested party who has been planning an upgrade to an upstairs space for quite some time, and though we don't have things to currently interest him, it did push my unconscious overnight (perhaps) and for what ever reasons I decided at lunchtime to review some of the pro sound drivers I've been interested in. Why pro sound? Well, there are mid bass/midrange parts that can offer some fairly optimized performance if you're not worried about what goes down below 80Hz, with a typical HT crossover setup. So, that got me thinking and perusing, and I found another driver from Faital that looks pretty interesting, either for MT or MTM applications. Especially on wall or in wall, where baffle step compensation goes away. How interesting? Let's consider some specs...
    • Nominal diameter: 6"
    • Impedance: 8 ohms
    • Sensitivity: 93 dB @ 1M/2.83 VRMS
    • AES Power handling: 200 W. (2 hours test according to AES 2-1984 Rev 2003)
    • Xmax: 5.5 mm
    • VC diameter: 1.75"
    • Motor system: Neodymium ring magnet with demodulator ring.
    • Le: 0.29 mH
    • Fs: 65 Hz
    • Frequency range: 80 - 6K
    • Usable smooth flat range: 80 - 3K to 45 degrees

Yeah, probably sounds too good to be true. But my experience is that pro drivers rarely have over stated specifications.

OK, some teaser stuff....

Click image for larger version  Name:	294-1321_HR_0.default.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	872666

This is only a 6" driver, and the HiFi folks would be calling it 5.5" as they do most of their 6" frame parts. The overall depth is 76mm, right at 3".

Click image for larger version  Name:	6RS140_curves_8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	872667

Of course, this stuff needs to be verified. At the moment, they're out of stock, but current info is back on stock in three days, so I ordered some to examine.

What might be possible, based on something more than back of the napkin calculations? This is at about 70% of rated Xmax for the highest excursion point in the enclosure setup I targeted, with 100W of power:

Click image for larger version  Name:	6RS140 Faital Unibox SPL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	872668

So, hitting reference HT levels is not an issue, it seems, with a bit of power. And that's per driver. As in an MT.

What kind of configuration would I imagine these in?

For an MT, seems like combining with a BlieSMa T25A or T25B with my LR3 style crossover around 2500 should work OK. Just like the early Modula MT and NatP.

For an MTM, we need a bit more sensitivity for the tweeters, and CTC is more of an issue, and I have a pair of BlieSMa T34B-4 with 97 dB/2.83 VRMS that ought to work fine, most likely with a crossover point of 1500Hz- remember, if on wall or in wall, no baffle step, so the effective woofer sensitivity is the same as the factory spec. Two of these mid woofers in parallel should hit about 95-96 dB for 2.83VRMS. Even a moderate HT receiver like the one Steve M gave me should push them more than hard enough. And I just happen to have a pair of those tweeters NIB on the shelf.

So, in a homage to history, perhaps these should be called the NatP HT if it all works out? They'll use the same crossover design, but at about 1500Hz, and without the baffle step correction.

Might be pretty interesting. I have an esthetic design concept in mind, but strangely, when I google wall mount speakers, nothing looks like it. And it all looks pretty ugly.

Oh, and while these are not bargain basement drivers, in comparison to Purifi, they are down right "econom" as my wife should say- about $130 each.

I'm very curious to get these in and do some basic measurements in a simple cabinet...

Oh, and JADS stands for "Just Another Design Study".

:rofl:
    Last edited by JonMarsh; 30 May 2023, 11:22 Tuesday.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

I look forward to how this plays out!
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• kravi4ka
      • Feb 2006

Most seriously interested as well… I was just wondering if I will have to build 11 or more of the Purifi SPK8 mini wonders… they are small and could be used as a center channel as well, tiny little monsters…

Now Jon comes with a kidney saving plan

What about this driver?

300 W continuous program power capacity 70° nominal coverage 90 - 18000 Hz response 92 dB sensitivity Single Neodymium magnet assembly 20.1 mm (0.79") HF unit exit diameter

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by kravi4ka
        OK, some random comments about my choice and in comparison to a standard PuriFi solution or the B&C 6HCX51. A lot of thought and "screening" went into selecting the Faital 6RS140.
        • I think the PuriFi "mini speakers" as you call them are a very good compact general purpose solution for two channel music, espcially when you can cough up some extra watts to power them. I have some of the new aluminum ones, too, and I have ideas for a smallish music speaker with them, too, but with Wavecor PR's and BlieSMa T25 tweeters- those are on hand, too. But... sensitivity is not their forte... there is a lot of focus (and money spent) on LF extension, which for this HT application isn't needed considering a typcial 80Hz high pass crossover. 5-6 dB more sensitivity is a big deal, when it comes to HT amplification.
        • My guiding concept for this project is spend the money on the things that are needed, and when possible, choose so that one doesn't have to spend too much money- say, on crossover parts- to compensate for issues with the drivers!
        • The B&C 6HCS51 seems to be a combination of characteristics I've seen in pro midwoofers or midrange before- that is, a rather high sensitivity above 250 to 300Hz, (which usually correlates with the impedance minima) but T/S parameters that put the 100Hz and below sensitivity quite a bit lower.
        • Specifically, for the 6HCX51, which is also available at PE, the nominal Fs is about 90 Hz, not 65 like the Faital 6RS140. Lower compliance is the main reason, becuase the Mms is essentilaly identical.
        • Then, the motor seems to be relatively "old school" in spite of being a Neodyumium magnet assembly- seems to lack a demodulation ring, which is revealed by the much higher Le and rising impedance, which will contribute to inductivity modulation distortion.
        • Now, I like the idea of coaxials, whether tweeter or compression driver, but the HF part has to be well designed, and fitting it with a woofer in the same chasis makes that job hard. My reference for low buck polyester compression drivers is the SB Audience series, particularly the Bianco-34CD-PK, which is very well designed, has a surprisingly smooth impedance curve (which is only surprising because of the price point of ~$60- given the smoothness of frequency response, it would have to be that way); and for higher performance in 1" CD, the Eighteen Sound parts like the NSD-1095.
        • First thing to check always is the impedance curve... mmm, not so nice. Could be diaphragm design, but most likely its the slot pattern and feedthrough. That's going to be a tough one to do a nice crossover for- given how it looks directly driven from a voltage source- think muliple Zobel LRC shunts, and even so, I don't see how one can justify calling the HF range anything better than 4kHz to 20kHz.
        • Oh, and that also brings up the woofer- Geez, folks, that's a nasty spike at 2 kHz; describing it's range as extending to the peak of the first breakup mode is more than poetic license- it's pure chicanery.
        • And for the privelge of these fine characteristics, the price at PE is about $100 higher than the 6RS140. Of course, it includes a tweeter, but one that I would basically want to throw away.
        • The B&C 6MDN44 would come closer to the target requirments, minus the coax tweeter, but really is just a midrange driver, with an Fs of 140Hz, and a highish inductance and rising response to 5kHz before breakup and collapse. The B&C 6MBX44 Neo "Woofer" exhibits some of the same characteristics, with an Fs of about 115Hz, impedance minima at 500Hz which is where the response flattens out up to about 1400Hz, and a primary breakup mode and peak at 4kHz (how do they justify calling this driver range 115Hz to 5kHz when that fits within a 17 dB range?)
        • The 6RS140 has almost text book characteristics for what I'd want for this application, including very smooth extended response without a clear breakup peak (reminds me of the PuriFi Midrange), a low inductance hinting at controlled inductivity modulation, and an Fs and sensitivity in a very desirable range for HT.
        • And the BliSMa tweeters hardly bear commenting on- some of my favorites, for their significant design break throughs.

That about sums up my thoughts.

Oh, the only other "recent" things were my musings in bed at about 3 AM today; given how shallow I'd like to make the enclosure design, I'm seriously considering making the enclosures primarily out of phenolic panels usually used for fixture tooling. My favorite crossover board material is the 1/4" stuff, but I've also got Leecraft panels in 3/8" and 1/2" that might be very interesting for this project. There's no comparing the strength against MDF...
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
          • Nov 2008

Nice! Jon

Ben is in on these he is just starting a basement home theater, Me being greedy i will wait for the 7" Purify with the BlieSMa beryllium tweets for my living room, lol.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
            Nice! Jon

Ben is in on these he is just starting a basement home theater, Me being greedy i will wait for the 7" Purify with the BlieSMa beryllium tweets for my living room, lol.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

I'm kind of excited about the luck I had finding these drivers and think I have some good ideas for how to implement once I've verified the woofers. Of course, inputs and ideas are welcome. What I have in a nascent conceptual form is something like an AR LST with facets on four sides, probably the top and bottom ones with grille cloth to provide a port flow path, and the sides just solid wood to make a smooth baffle path to the wall.

And shallower- shooting for no more than 6" deep.

I could imagine MT's for rears to be similar, but smaller, and at ear level seated. Of course, one could push them up to the ceiling and only have down tilted tweeter, but I think that would mess up the response.

I'm thinking the core enclosure could be phenolic, and the wings solid wood of whatever type is convenient or desired, and not part of the acoustic enclosure. Say, wood wings on the sides, and grille cloth facets top and bottom for port exits.

But that is getting a bit ahead of things - need to test drivers first. Have a lot of stuff lined up for that, have been building test enclosures for several items entering POC phase.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• benthe8track
              • Feb 2008

Hey Jon, these look like a great fit for my theater project.

Still early days for this project but I have a a sketch, 4 Stereo Integrity subs and a pair of pro audio amps.

Could something similar work for Atmos height channels as well?

I bet phenolic cuts really nicely on a water jet. Humm..

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Hey, Ben!

The MT concept for this should work fine for an ATMOS height channel or a normal surround channel. I say that based on the official Dolby theater specs for ATMOS speaker systems- (which I have) of course, much of what is sold into the home market won't meet those requirements, and fuggetabout the whole bounce it off the ceiling stuff (nonsense in my opinion, because of lateral bleed and likely timing issues). So when someone says they have Dolby ATMOS incorporated into a sound bar, the most I can conclude is that they put a channel in their and paid the licensing fee. Not much more.

Now, normally ATMOS individual speakers should function like regular surround, which according to Dolby means that each speaker must be capable of generating 99 dB continuous SPL at the reference listening position, and preferably with an amplifier with 3dB of headroom over that. The surround frequency response for the system should be 40Hz to 16kHz, +/- 3dB. Obviously, most surround speakers require bass management support, but the surround speaker response should extend to 90Hz or lower, and the crossover frequency should not be higher than 100Hz. (I'm essentially direct quoting).

The surround array SPL level capability requirement is 105 dB continuous in aggregate, which for arrays less than 4 speakers each speaker must be able to do 99dB continuous SPL at the listening position. Small room, and the requirements are not too demanding.

Now, note, the proposed Faital 6RS140 mid woofer has an AES power rating of 200W for two hours within it's recommended bandwidth, and in the configuration shown with 100W of power it's very close to 110 dB at 1 meter. At two meters that will fall by 6 dB to 104 dB, and at 4 meters (25 ft) it will fall another 6 dB, to 98 dB. So, I think it's reasonable to say that in a large home environment it can meet the letter of the Dolby ATMOS requirement for surround speakers.

Now, for my next question, I should turn things over to ET, right? Which is, how many home Dolby ATMOS setups have a speaker that is that efficient (92-93 dB) or will play that loud, and how many home receivers have 100W per channel with 3 dB headroom (which is 200W!) for the surround and ATMOS channels?

Ahem. I'm waiting.... ummm, where is that list?

Oh, how about this Rotel RAP-1580MKII, 7.2 ch AV receiver... 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms, with 2 channels driven (oh, you want more simultaneously operating channels from your 7.2 channel receiver that goes for $5,499? Don't you think you're being a bit unreasonable?)

Ah well, they have you covered, full 11.2 channel RCA outputs for external amplifiers. RCA? Ewwww!

Sorry, I'm a pro audio snob. Since way, way back. '70s to be exact.

Actually, the Anthem MRX1140 might be a better bet, 5 analog channels and 6 Class D channels, but the latter are rated at just 60W, and it's got RCA line level outputs too.

And let's not even discuss the distortion specs for these guys. It's like setting the way back machine for 1980.

OK, I'll go back into my corner, but I'm not going to sulk, maybe just chuckle a little...
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
                  • Nov 2004

Here is the Audioxpress test of the Faital https://audioxpress.com/article/test...oofer-midrange

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the review link! The info is encouraging- the Kippel data looks very clean, and as the performance envelope in Unibox above is under 4mm Xmax, I’d say it looks like we’re on the right track. In normal fairly loud usage in a home environment, Xmax should be under 2mm. A series notch filter at 6kHz should help with the distortion plots- we’ll just have to see how much.

They should be back in stock today and shipping soon…

I'm very interested to see how the performance works out in the planned configuration. The results from AudioXpress seem encouraging for this half space application using my normal crossover techniques.

And for anyone reading this, don't forget this evening HTG will go off the air for the weekend for the big software update!
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Here's an interesting link with detailed about Troels Graveson build in 2019 using the 6RS140...

I'm going to include a few quotes from this article...

Going through the 5-6" drivers from Faital, my eyes fell on the 6RS140 and it looked like an interesting midrange driver with a quite smooth frequency response - and I bought a pair.

This is the second time I've used a PA midrange driver - and like the 18 Sound 10NMBA520 used in the The Loudspeaker, this 6" Faital 6Rs140 surprises me, it surprises me a lot! Given its 93 dB sensitivity and smooth frequency response it has a dramatic impact on the final performance of this speaker. Good bass drivers we can get from a lot of manufacturers, although the 12" range is limited for domestic use due to high Fs, but from 15" and 18" drivers there are multiple choices. And really good tweeters are in abundance these days. The 6RS140 has excellent dispersion, which creates a strong presence, yet smooth on the ear due to low distortion. Should you fancy percussion, look no further, this speaker has it. Rimshots are a delight, fast as lightning and with that ultra short decay only high-efficiency speakers can manage.

And while I'm not a fan of Troel's measurement techniques or setup, it's probably still worth sharing the measurement of 4 6RS140 on his test cabinet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6RS140_I-II-III-IV_80x120cm-baffle.png
Views:	988
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	925919

Just for the record, I only discovered this post late yesterday evening- I hadn't stumbled across mention of the 6RS140 previously, but I'd say this is a fair endorsement of it's sound quality and utility.

the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

A small update and a teaser of sorts...

First, the back in stock date from Parts Express for the 6RS140 has slipped back out to the originally quoted August 12. In this day and age, that shouldn't be too surprising.

After reviewing the concept with Steve, he has opined that if I can come up with a design interesting to folks, he thinks he could generate flat pack kits if there is interest for in wall or wall mount versions. As I'm very seriously looking at phenolic enclosure construction, this could be fairly handy for those that aren't handy.

​​​​​​​Additionally, though I don't have test data on the 6RS140 yet, I do have early test results of one of it's baby brothers (or sisters!), the 5FE120, which is being considered for a new compact CC design in a standalone enclosure, as the midrange element. It too, has fairly high sensitivity for an 8 ohm driver, at about 90 dB for 2.83VRMS.

Name:	294-1141_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	925973

This test was conducted with just 2VRMS, and at about 24", so no conclusions about sensitivity, but it's in the ball park of what you'd expect. What I was mainly concerned with is looking at the frequency response on and off axis and doing a basic check on distortion, for the CC application in the range of 400Hz to 2500Hz. The data sheet looks very good, but reality sometimes misses the mark.

​​​​​​​Here's on axis:

Name:	5FE120 Windowed 0 Deg.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	533.9 KB
ID:	925974

And for contrast, here's 45 degrees off axis:

Name:	5FE120 Windowed 45 Deg.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	925975

Distortion was in the -50 to -55 dB in the range of interest, so this is promising for the CC application, and promising for what we can expect from the 6RS140. A few more BlieSMa tweeters hit the dock from Solen this week, too... so a bit of progress all around!

​​​​​​​Now, if only PE would ship!

the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kravi4ka
                          • Feb 2006

Flat pack kits is music to my ears…

I have been very tempted by this one but could not sell the house at the right price to be able to afford the whole set for a HT…

https://audioxpress.com/news/ggntkt-...n-and-dynamics
                          Last edited by kravi4ka; 07 August 2022, 09:47 Sunday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Pretty cool article you linked to!
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kravi4ka
                              • Feb 2006

GGNTKT has some really appealing ideas and WAF is very high, especially for the HT speakers.
                              Audioxpress is quite fun sometimes, today I read this, off topic but really makes me want to buy 26 large sheets of Wisa plywood:

This article reviews a patent originally granted to inventors Philip R. Clements; (Tempe, AZ), Boaz Shalev; (Needham, MA), and James Joseph Croft, III; (Bellevue, WA), which has now expired. The patent describes a low-frequency transducer system with a multi-compression chamber, where an inverse horn structure is employed in combination with a resonance-distortion filter chamber. This was the third patent granted on Atlantic Technology’s low frequency system known by the trademark name H-PAS (High Pressure Acceleration System). This article was originally published in Voice Coil, September 2016.

We are all here because we can’t stop, right?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

GGNTKT has some really appealing ideas and WAF is very high, especially for the HT speakers.
                                Audioxpress is quite fun sometimes, today I read this, off topic but really makes me want to buy 26 large sheets of Wisa plywood:

This article reviews a patent originally granted to inventors Philip R. Clements; (Tempe, AZ), Boaz Shalev; (Needham, MA), and James Joseph Croft, III; (Bellevue, WA), which has now expired. The patent describes a low-frequency transducer system with a multi-compression chamber, where an inverse horn structure is employed in combination with a resonance-distortion filter chamber. This was the third patent granted on Atlantic Technology’s low frequency system known by the trademark name H-PAS (High Pressure Acceleration System). This article was originally published in Voice Coil, September 2016.

Most definitely! Guilty as charged!!

Now, with PuriFi or the new Hypex modules, we could attempt something that matches the full performance characteristics, but for now I'm in favor of a simpler solution attractive to the budgets of more members- as well as myself!
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

An open box 6RS140 just popped up at PE, so I ordered it, should be here by Monday. I may be on vacation nominally, but I'm still working the issues!

This will be the primary test article and for first MT prototype.
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
                                    Master of None
                                    • Jan 2014

Yes that is how it started out for me, and the adventure continues!
                                    Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

OK, UPS was a bit "late" today, but actually early overall on this delivery which was originally scheduled for Monday! This is the open box sample I was able to order. Looking good, in my opinion, but then I'm always a sucker for cool looking hardware...

Name:	6RS140 Front.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	620.5 KB
ID:	926022

Name:	6RS140 Rear.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	926023

Once I get the Dual ES180TiA test box assembled, getting a test enclosure for the 6RS140 is high up on my to-do list- mainly I just need to cut a front panel and install ports, the basic box is ready.

the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Slow work takes time... Have successfully purchased 6RS140 from Europe, and today (Saturday, 9-10) loaded up large phenolic sheets to bring out of storage. Also stocked up on more BlieSMa tweeters, and note that Solen's stock situation is improving.

With the dollar as strong as it is right now, buying from European vendors can make a lot of sense, especially for European built parts. Also looking at some other Faital woofers available in Europe.

Can build a first test box pretty soon, moving some wood working stuff temporarily to the back patio, for various reasons.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Flat pack kits is music to my ears…

I have been very tempted by this one but could not sell the house at the right price to be able to afford the whole set for a HT…
                                          Today's update addresses the whole cost thing, with some ideas being explored for a level of performance close to what I've proposed for this concept, but at a more pocket book friendly price. This doesn't mean the 6RS140 concept with BliSMa tweeter is being dropped, but more that it will have a little brother or sister.

One of the things I liked about the 6RS140 was the depth- critical to either version of this application. Well, there have been a lot of distractions the last few months, but then reviewing my driver stock, I had a small "Ah hah!".

Name:	1_6ND430.png
Views:	719
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	926522

Remember this "little guy"? The Eighteen Sound 6ND430? One of the first drivers I know of to experiment with an engineered surround to reduce spurious outputs in the midrange?

Well, gaze on the mechanical details...

Name:	2_6ND430 Mech.gif
Views:	665
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	926523

It's hard to find a driver in this size class this shallow, and it actually beats out the 6RS140 by a few mm. Like the 6RS140, it has a powerful Neo motor, a low inductance design, and high power handling (2 hours pink noise, 200W).

The cone design is what I now call "classic Pro Audio Paper cone", which PuriFi seems to follow fairly closely for their papers cone drivers, and is visually nearly identical to the 6RS140. The main reason for this is the very stiff behavior and low breakup mode Q.

Of course, Steve won't like routing a rebate for it anymore than the 6RS140, but for a home constructer, it would be simple to construct a routing guide as I did for the Accuton C79.

My own measurements show good off axis performance, too. This is mounted in a small, narrow enclosure, not on a flat baffle.

Name:	4-8 6ND430 Polar Check.png
Views:	678
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	926524

OK, this is all well and good, but what about the Tweeter? I love the BlieSMa on paper, but even the T25A-6 can't really be called a budget tweeter...

I have a possible solution, but there are details to check and logistics to work out.

Name:	4_da25-06_2.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	926525

8 pieces of this part by a well known manufacturer are on the way to me, from Europe. The supply is limited, but not small. I hate the new abnormal with all of it's supply chain issues.

The factory curves look like this:

Name:	5_HT AV MT Sample.png
Views:	672
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	926526

We've had very good results with another related part from this manufacturer, but they have become "unobtanium", apart from the 6 pieces I have on hand. Testing and consistency checks are in order next.

BTW, PE pushed out delivery dates for the 6RS140 again, until mid October. I have five on hand, three sourced from Europe. I'm looking at the 16 ohm version for the possible on wall/in wall MTM.

the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                            • Dec 2006

Ah, but unlike the drawing for the 6RS140​, this one provides a diameter for the curves .... makes life so much easier! 😊
                                            Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

An interesting concept, of course I would be most curious to see how the step response appears for what at first examination appears to be a multi-resonant system.

But, practical or not, no reason not to indulge yourself.

I find that given the projects in the queue, I have a surprising accumulation of wood and synthetic panel products in this remote location... some arriving just a few days ago to support new requirements from the Chancellor!
                                              DFAL
                                              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• kravi4ka
                                                • Feb 2006

(Cough cough)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

(Cough cough)

🤣

One of the challenges I clearly have underestimated is all the mundane tasks my wife can come up with for me to do for HER pet projects... this last week has been a text book case!

So, I've definitely over estimated the amount of time that would be available for MY projects... like this one.

But this is an "interesting" coincidence, as ET might comment, in that today I'm planning some more measurements using my newer Fuzzmeasure setup on the 6RS140 test cabinet prior to setting it up for some PuriFi woofer tests for a two way project with several POC concepts under consideration. And I'm running impedance sweep checks in the DA25BG08-06 this morning- I've been setting up tweeter test baffles for a number of parts, including the T25A-6 and the TPL-075.

I think I foolishly thought I could put time into these projects the same way I used to put time into my day job...

BTW, Z curve looks pretty nice, Fs about 650Hz, broad enough that an LCR Fs zobel will likely be desirable. Fairly flat between 2K and 20K.

the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• joecarrow
                                                    • Apr 2005

Hi Jon, it's been years since I dropped in and I was delighted to see that you're still at it here! I built the Modula back around 2008 or so, and since then I've built some more things and moved on to designs of my own. I'm seeing a lot of overlap between my latest interest and what you're looking at in this thread.

I started out using the RS225 along with a dome tweeter in a 3D printed waveguide and wasn't crazy about how that was going for me, and so I tried the Faital 6F100E and liked that even less. Not long after that I got really excited about the Peerless HDS-830869, which seem to have been discontinued. I saw what you're up to here and I wanted to ask, what do you think of these?

SB Audience Rosso-6MW150D 6" Paper Cone Pro Midbass 8 ohm (madisoundspeakerstore.com)

-Joe Carrow

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

I have several of the Rosso series drivers on hand; the W150D is targeted at high efficiency midrange line arrays- for this application, the problem is that we should like to see fairly flat response down to 80 Hz or less.. The 6MW150D has a lot of drop off from 300-400 Hz down to 100Hz, about 8dB. What we really want is a driver that is close to flat on an infinite baffle down to 60-80Hz.
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

NOTE: This project is probably going to be converted to the Dayton SIG180-4 for the midwoofer- parts are on order as of May 29, expected by June 2 or 3.

Reason is smooth extended response and easier access in the USA, good efficiency (about 91 dB) and very smooth top end. Choice is pending completing a measurement suite on the driver.

Name:	SIG180 SPL.png
Views:	366
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	938503
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Megatone13
                                                          • Oct 2023

I thought the same Jon when this driver first showed up on the PE website…..near perfection midbass driver…smooth response, highish efficiency and extremely affordable. I think the Faital better serves the PA use crowd with the added cost towing towards power handling…….I don’t think that’s needed in your intended use nor mine which is an open baffle 3 way. Can’t wait to see your distortion plots though….this will likely be a dealer maker or breaker

P.S…that 30 degree of axis measurement on paper is just amazing….no kick in the 1khz range from the surround at all! Those who are sensitive to that typical wobble can rejoice!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

P.S…that 30 degree of axis measurement on paper is just amazing….no kick in the 1khz range from the surround at all! Those who are sensitive to that typical wobble can rejoice!​
                                                            Totally with you on that... now, I guess we just have to see if the configuration I have is "final" or if there are changes- there are more parts introduced in the series.

This effort has been somewhat on the back burner because other project ideas have gotten kicked up in priority, like the high power CC concept for Sven, and so some projects aren't getting the lovin' and timetable originally expected.

In fact, the testing on the Satori Coax has been completed, as well as the C18EN002
                                                            reviewed, plus some other parts like a SICA coax considered, and now it seems I may be back to a MF + HF combo, using the retro Kii drivers, and possibly with modified Duelund crossover, at least on the top end. A test module for that concept was designed yesterday, 2D drawings to generate today, possibly sawdust also!

Note, this is my QNF measurement of one of the SIG-180's I received- not quite a pretty as the factory data curves, but in the ballpark:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SIG180-4 QNF Disto.png Views:	0 Size:	255.4 KB ID:	949589

In comparison, measured with the same setup, this is the Dayton RSS210HF:

Name:	RSS210HF QNF.png
Views:	196
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	949590

the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Megatone13
                                                              • Oct 2023

Thanks for sharing your measurements Jon…….very workable driver and very affordable. The efficiency is almost unheard of outside of Pro Audio Units that cost 2x-4x more. The basket and magnet structure appear very acceptable for open baffle use as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                              😀
                                                              😂
                                                              🥰
                                                              😘
                                                              🤢
                                                              😎
                                                              😞
                                                              😡
                                                              👍
                                                              👎
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"