X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Bullet
    • Jul 2007

The Cathedrals

I introduce The Cathedrals.

They are an all sealed, active design. They are in the concept and planning stage but comprise the following:
    1 x Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" aluminium woofer
    1 x SB Acoustics SB17NBAC-4 6" aluminium as a midrange
    1 x SB Acoustics SB26ADC 1" aluminium dome tweeter

The SB26ADC may be waveguide loaded, if the profile of the Visaton WG148R is suitable.

Current crossover points are ~ 200hz and ~1900Hz.

What I wanted over my current 3 ways:
    - Larger woofer. a 15" should move enough air.
    - Lower F3. The Dayton models ~32Hz in a 124L sealed enclosure. There's enough xmax and with an active crossover I can tailor the in-room response with xmax to spare.
    - Modular. I want to separate bass and mid/tweeter sections... such that I can replace mid-tweeter or have different options with the RSS390 filling in bass duties
    - Wanted to try a waveguide. This may not work in practice. I have a plan B if that is the case.
    - Try an active crossover. This will be using a Raspberry Pi, running ecasound LADSPA host and credit to Charlie Laub's Active Crossover Design tools to provide the ecasound filters.
    - An all metal design

The relative phase graphs show the phase difference between driver pairs. I'm trying to get these <= 15 degrees at least 2 octaves either side of the XO points. More work required
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave Bullet; 13 April 2020, 18:21 Monday. Reason: Fixed the image, woofer scaling and cabinet beautification
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

This looks like an interesting project
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dave Bullet
      The SB26ADC may be waveguide loaded, if the profile of the Visaton WG148R is suitable.
      Check out Augerpro's threads (here and at DIYA) for SB26ADC-specific waveguides. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can get a "good enough for testing" print done now, and then a better quality print (I recommend the 5" version in resin if budget/service bureau allows) later.
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Interesting concept, the render throws me off a bit because of the scaling of the cabinets versus driver- 20" high woofer cabinet and 15" driver, for example!

I have tested the SB26CDC in a few configurations, though not looked at it in a waveguide, due to adaptation challenges. In direct radiation, distortion does rise below 3.5kHz at 2.83 VRMS drive. A waveguide could reduce this... so could a DA25TX.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dave Bullet
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          Interesting concept, the render throws me off a bit because of the scaling of the cabinets versus driver- 20" high woofer cabinet and 15" driver, for example!

I have tested the SB26CDC in a few configurations, though not looked at it in a waveguide, due to adaptation challenges. In direct radiation, distortion does rise below 3.5kHz at 2.83 VRMS drive. A waveguide could reduce this... so could a DA25TX.
          Great spotting Jon. I accidentally got the diameter wrong! 264 somehow instead of 368. I also thought it looked a bit small!

Thanks for the tweeter advice too

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"