Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Something is wrong with my spkr

My WTMW speaker is sick, it has a dip around 360hz, almost 10db deep. Its the speaker pictured in that build thread here. The dip is between 150hz and 800hz……XO points 400hz and 1.8khz

I measured using my omnimic which im slowly relearning my way around the program.

Any thoughts ? Questions ?

I’ll try to post a graph
    Last edited by kgveteran; 08 March 2022, 20:38 Tuesday.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Questions, yes... this isn't enough info to begin to help.
    • Is this a known design provided by someone, or your own effort?
    • Was it working previously OK, or just measured recently and the problem discovered?
    • What does the crossover schematic look like? And what drivers are used in the system?

You see, you haven't told us enough to know whether this is a design problem you are having and just discovered, or if this a known design with documented performance characteristics that has developed a failure of some kind, like a defective solder joint or capacitor or driver...

To help you, we need the above information plus a measurement of how the speaker is currently functioning, or rather, not functioning. And keep in mind that if the crossover has shallow slopes, if the midrange driver opened up, it would look like a big dip at the center of the midrange bandpass, with fill in on each side from the woofer and tweeter due to their roll off slopes.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wolf_teeth
      • Feb 2011

Not sure if this is a good place to post this question…. my one main speaker is exhibiting a dip in its response. My mains are three identical center channel WTMW designs. Their XO is 400hz/1.8khz. The red line represents the other two speakers, the dip is the speaker that sounds off. What...

Wolf

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Im so sorry i dropped off, please accept my apologies.
        I have a few sets of graphs i would like to post but i get the to post ???

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

Thanx wolf

Comment

• technodanvan
            • Nov 2009

If you're having issues attaching an image I understand completely, it isn't as intuitive here as it is at some other forums. When you 'go advanced' when posting this is the button you should use. It'll bring up a popup window where you can upload images and insert them in your post. Of course be sure your browser isn't blocking the popup window - a lot do that by default anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment Button.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	866713

In any case, looks like you're getting some good suggestions from the folks at DIY Audio. Am I correct in seeing:

1. Four of the six woofers having a dip at 800 Hz? These were measured all in the same location, right?
            2. Two of the mids almost look like they aren't being crossed over to the woofer (i.e. only one has the dip at 150Hz.)
            3. The tweeter plots look odd to me. I'm not an expert (nor am I a designer) but something is clearly wrong.
            4. None of these plots appear to add up to the 400 Hz dip you have for one speaker as a whole. Maybe the one exception being that tweeter plot?

Hoping one of the guys with more experience comes along to evaluate further. Glad you're getting some help though!
            - Danny

Comment

• kgveteran
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by technodanvan
              If you're having issues attaching an image I understand completely, it isn't as intuitive here as it is at some other forums. When you 'go advanced' when posting this is the button you should use. It'll bring up a popup window where you can upload images and insert them in your post. Of course be sure your browser isn't blocking the popup window - a lot do that by default anymore.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31989[/ATTACH]

In any case, looks like you're getting some good suggestions from the folks at DIY Audio. Am I correct in seeing:

1. Four of the six woofers having a dip at 800 Hz? These were measured all in the same location, right?
              2. Two of the mids almost look like they aren't being crossed over to the woofer (i.e. only one has the dip at 150Hz.)
              3. The tweeter plots look odd to me. I'm not an expert (nor am I a designer) but something is clearly wrong.
              4. None of these plots appear to add up to the 400 Hz dip you have for one speaker as a whole. Maybe the one exception being that tweeter plot?

Hoping one of the guys with more experience comes along to evaluate further. Glad you're getting some help though!
              Thanx Dan! I will load up the images later. Since you looked at the graphs already, the two cabinets that measure fine at the LP are all the same, the center cabinet every single driver has a wonky :0) response or at least different from the other two that measure ok.

Comment

• kgveteran
                • Oct 2005

Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete sweep of all 6 woofers.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	866714Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete sweep of all 3 mids.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	866715Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete sweep of all 3 tweeters.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	866716

here are the close mic sweeps, again, im just looking to see if theyre all the same and clearly the one cabinet is different from the other two. these speakers are the ones in my avatar

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

Im sorry about all the different colored graphs, i never thought of doing matching colors for each speaker.

If you look at the tweeter response, and the mid response of all three of each cabinets, the tweeter and mid that dont line up are in the cabinet in question

Comment

• kgveteran
                    • Oct 2005

Looking at the six woofers, the two graphs that dont match are in the same cabinet, the other four are close enogh

Comment

• kgveteran
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                      Questions, yes... this isn't enough info to begin to help.
                      • Is this a known design provided by someone, or your own effort?
                      • Was it working previously OK, or just measured recently and the problem discovered?
                      • What does the crossover schematic look like? And what drivers are used in the system?

You see, you haven't told us enough to know whether this is a design problem you are having and just discovered, or if this a known design with documented performance characteristics that has developed a failure of some kind, like a defective solder joint or capacitor or driver...

To help you, we need the above information plus a measurement of how the speaker is currently functioning, or rather, not functioning. And keep in mind that if the crossover has shallow slopes, if the midrange driver opened up, it would look like a big dip at the center of the midrange bandpass, with fill in on each side from the woofer and tweeter due to their roll off slopes.
                      Gotcha, its the WTMW threeway center designed here at the HTguide, (the pic of three gray identicals are mine), back in 2005ish, there were three
                      XO designs submitted , i picked Curts XO 400hz/1.8kh, you submitted one too i think

Comment

• kgveteran
                        • Oct 2005

Update: i swapped woofers from one cab to the other and the woofers are fine, the XO has issues, i gotta pull it out….

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"