Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlammert
    • Dec 2007

Statements II - Question on Length of Mid Tunnel and Curved Cabinets

I am currently toying with the idea of upgrading my Statements to the Statement IIs.

If I am going to do that, I am now thinking of building new cabinets.

My preliminary idea shows my cabinet being 1.5 inches deeper than the original design. For a total depth of approximately 18 inches.

I am nervous that this will effect the sound quality of the mids since my understanding is that the baffle needs to remain 11.5" wide and the depth needs to remain 16.5" deep.

Is this correct?

Here is my preliminary design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	I2GsSlq.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	932863

The BLACK rectangle is the original cabinet based on the Statement II CAD files provided on Curt's website. 11.5" x 16.5"

The RED curves I would "add onto" the outside of the standard cabinet and would be purely aesthetic and add no volume to the cabinet.

The GREEN rectangle represents the mid tunnel.

I am looking for the best possible sound quality, so I am totally willing to scrap this design if it will hinder the final sound.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 08:12 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

In the past, Curt's recommendation has been to not alter the depth more than +/- 10%. That said, I'd suggest you email Curt and see what he has to say before proceeding.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Absinthe
      • Sep 2021

Ive been playing with a similar concept as well. In talking with Jim the constraints are:

Waveguide depth +/- 10% (13.05" - 15.95")
      Interior face width +/- 10% (9" - 11")
      Interior cabinet depth +/- 10% (13.05" - 15.95")
      Total cabinet volume 70l - 80l
      Tweeter height above floor line 40" - 42"

My current design has an interior face width of 9" and a depth of 16" This satisfies the +/- 10% criteria for everything except the depth (actually 10.3%) The wave guides are 5" diameter tubes and are 16" long (10.3%). Cabinet volume comes in at 72.72l. I've moved the top woofer to the bottom in order to accommodate the tweeter height above floor (currently at 40" with base) but still limit the overall height of the cabinet but am still toying with the original WMTMW arrangement Id be interested in hearing with Curt has to say about your design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fHcDQur.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	932864
      Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 08:13 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
        • Feb 2015

Is this kind of what you're thinking?

Some of the pictures no longer display because Photobucket discontinued their free picture hosting service. SORRY! Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been an active poster to the boards because I haven't been building many speakers in the past few years. That drought has come to an end. The past three builds I have done

That vertical brace seems unnecessary. Especially with the curved sides of the speaker. Looks like a nice design aesthetically. Also, the brace blocking the port may not be a great thing.

Any reason why you want the port on the bottom?
        Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 08:13 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Absinthe
          • Sep 2021

Hi Mikerodrig27,

The Remix is one of the designs I studied while working on my own flavor but didn't like how the sides were curved but the overall cabinet was not tapered as it went front to back. I much prefer the Tapered parabolic body shape. The vertical brace was taken from a curved build by Ante (https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?43717-Ante-s-Statement-II-build-Journey) I thought it might be superfluous given my test mule build done a few years back but with Fusion 360 its easy to add or take things out. Putting the port on the bottom was just a whim, it can easily pivot 90 degrees and point out the back. In retrospect, my design changes make this build more similar to the Anthologies with the exception of the tweeter.

Thanks for your feedback!!
          Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 08:21 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
            • Feb 2015

I agree. I believe it is excessive. Also, I think that is close to the woofers which may cause odd reflections in the cabinet.

If you want to increase density and stiffness, a cool thing that I saw was someone taking cement board and attaching it to the inside side walls of the cabinet. They used silicone to attach it which I think also added some dampening characteristics. It made the side stiffer and it killed reflections pretty quick.

Your cabinet size are curved which makes it a little bit more difficult but maybe you can use a pretty backsplash mosaic! The little tiles would follow the curves and then you could infill the gaps with something either flexible or grout LOL

Just some odd brainstorming
            Last edited by Mikerodrig27; 08 October 2021, 12:30 Friday. Reason: Forgot a detail

Comment

• Seattle
              • Sep 2017

Do you have the dimensions for Deewan's MTMWW build? I'm very interested in building the Statement II remix - albeit with straight edges. The curved sides are beyond my skill capabilities.

Comment

• Absinthe
                • Sep 2021

I do not have the specific dimensions of Deewan's build but from my exploits with Fusion360 and using the WWMTM arrangement, the closest the tweeter can be mounted to the top of the cabinet is about 8 1/8". Assuming a 5" tall base, keeping the tweeter at 40" above the floor means the cabinet must be about 43 1/8" tall. Per Jim, if using the newer un-shielded woofers, you should decrease the cabinet volume to 70-80 l. The cross sectional area of the original design is 145 square inches which makes the internal volume of the cabinet:

V = [145 X height (in inches)] - [Wave Guide Volume X 2] - Port Area - Internal Bracing

This gives you a height range of 20.815" - 25.023" Clearly, if you keep the same face width and cabinet depth, and using a cabinet height constrained by the tweeter height, your design will have an internal volume of about 84.3 litres. Safe to say your going to have to modify the face width and depth a bit to fill all the constraints. Your build would probably be substantially easier if you switch to the Anthologies ( http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html) versus the Statements. I was seriously considering it but I have already purchased the ribbon tweeters and like Jim I prefer the sound over a dome tweeter

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"