X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boulderjl
    • Feb 2021

Statement II build

Hi all,
    I started out wanting to build some simple speakers, and the more research I did, the more I wanted to have a really nice set of speakers. Eventually, I stumbled onto Jim and Curt's designs and I am now building the Statement II's.
    I have read just about every Statement and Statement II thread here but I can't find the information I am looking for. It has probably already been addressed in another post, I just cant find it.My question is about the length of the port. Using the 3" dia flared tube the plans call for, A. should the length overall be 4" including the flares, or B. 4" plus the flares.? or 5"? I tried doing the calculations with the formula that came with the Precision Ports I ordered, but I couldn't remember or find the tuning frequency for the ports. With all the care that has gone into the design, I don't want to guess and have the result be sub-optimal.
    My buddies have been doing their part along the way. Thought I would share a pic of them helping out.
    PS if anyone can tell me how to rotate a picture attachment please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jim in Boulder
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_183730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	872569Click image for larger version

Name:	20210314_173015.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	872570Click image for larger version

Name:	20210311_161428 (1).jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	872571Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_074111.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	872572
    Last edited by Boulderjl; 06 April 2021, 22:07 Tuesday. Reason: To receive notifications
  • Heli-Tim
    • Nov 2015

I'm sure someone will confirm for you, but I seem to remember reading in an old thread that the port was cut to 4". The flared tip was added after that length.

Your build is looking good

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Heli-Tim is correct. The Precision Port tube should be cut to 4" plus the flared ends.

The cabinets look great. Good start!

Jim

Comment

• McgOkc
        • Aug 2021

I have Glass-doors/curtains behind my speakers in my listening room. Should I be looking for something other than the Statements II with the open back mids for a new build

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I'm no expert, but I would think the open back mids would work okay with windows and curtains.
          - Danny

Comment

• McgOkc
            • Aug 2021

I was worried that too much of the mid/highs would get absorbed by the curtains.

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
              • Feb 2015

Curtains being very thin generally absorb down to around 2500hz or so. Everything else isn't attenuated enough for the human ear to really detect. The Statements are only open back on the mids so you should be fine there. If air can pass through the curtains then it shouldn't be a problem. If air can't pass, then they become reflective.

Regarding the glass doors, they will vibrate at low frequencies more than a wall which will help to pass a lot of the bass frequencies to the next room/outside (will keep the bass cleaner in your listening room though). Any rattles should be taken care of. Any air gaps, lack of sealing will let mids and highs through. I guess the gist of it is, make sure they are sealed relatively well and don't have rattles and they should work just fine. That pretty much goes for anything.

This is all just going off of what I have read regarding acoustics. I hope it helps.

PS, I have had a lot of success treating the room with absorption. I do it on the back wall (behind the listening position) and on the side walls as well as the ceiling. Doing this helped imaging and the sense of space as it helped the walls disappear a bit. You have to do it to taste and a little bit here and there so that you can get a good sense of the changes. Best of luck!

Comment

• McgOkc
                • Aug 2021

Thanks so much for the info. I currently have a set of B&Ws in the same location that the new build will go but the open mids had me thinking about the absorption from the curtains. They are rather thick and I currently don’t have any rattles from the doors.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"