Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Uh, didn't you forget something?

Very good work, indeed! :T

But...

:uhoh:

There are these nice reserved blocks at the beginning of this thread...

In place for critical information to share...

Which are still...

very, very empty!

:huh:
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
        • Mar 2005

Point taken Mr. Moderator

I do have most of the content for it and will ask my friend for his latest Xover variation too (he did lots of trial/listening/trial/simple measurement type work on it. Xovers are still next to speakers outside, but the pair is playing nice and is our other evaluation setup for Purifi amp tuning beside my Wavecor Ardent based system.

I'll be spending 10 night in hotel next week and with a severe jet-lag there is hope I can find time to fill the emptiness up.
        Attached Files

Comment

• ergo
          • Mar 2005

Filled in the placeholders on first page...

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ergo
            Filled in the placeholders on first page...
            Looking good, Ergo.

As anyone who has tried with the T34 series knows, getting a nice waveguide response is no trivial task-
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alernex
              • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Pythagoras
              I have the T34B-4 tweeters too for use without a waveguide.
              Have listened to the tweeters with a quick test setup and they sound just perfect really. Unlike anything I personally heard before.

What I do wonder though. Did you order them without the protective grill or did you remove it yourself?
              Thank to this comment only I'm thinking about T34B-4 now. I'll test and share my opinion about them.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Funny thing, I enjoyed reviewing this thread quite a bit, and pondering lessons learned for a similar build I have in mind- revisiting the Modula MT XE, in a 2.5 way with the same seas ER18RNX (have a couple on hand...) but likely the T25A-6 tweeter...

I'm evaluating some waveguide profiles generated using Marcel Batik's "unified" equation concept and profile testing with BEM analysis using ABEC. Should be able to set that up soon, June sometimes, on the Mac Pro running WIN10. Then I'll just have to sweet talk Steve into milling some waveguides after he's got the shop on line.

In the meantime, I may experiment more with the Eighteen Sound XT1086 and NSD1095 1" combo- the initial checks show considerable promise, and speak to the veracity of Eighteen Sounds claims of extensive BEM analysis and verification.

How's your friend enjoying these?
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

Aw, the modula MT XE. I know you have said the world doesn't need another 2-way but there seams to be a lot of new big speaker DIY designs going on out there and not a lot of small 2-ways with new drivers. A new modula MT with say T34BE and the new purify mid woof might get a lot of people excited. I have only seen a purify 2-way with odd choice tweeters.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dar47
                    Aw, the modula MT XE. I know you have said the world doesn't need another 2-way but there seams to be a lot of new big speaker DIY designs going on out there and not a lot of small 2-ways with new drivers. A new modula MT with say T34BE and the new purify mid woof might get a lot of people excited. I have only seen a purify 2-way with odd choice tweeters.

Funny you should mention that... Steve is a fan of big boy speakers, too- you should see the attention he pays to the Magico reviews!

But, today I sent him some LF modeling data on a couple of possible Modula configurations- one called the PWB, and the other would be the PWXT. "P" stands for PuriFi, as in 6.5" long throw woofer (we've got about 8 on hand, but so much stuff going on...); W stands for "Wavecor", as in Wavecor PR223BD02 passive radiator, "B" stands for BlieSMa, as in TB25A-6 tweeter, and XT stands for XT1086 wave-guide with NSD1095 driver.

Picks your poisons... obviously, the TB25A is a simpler more budget friendly approach. Would be interesting to do that with a SMJ style waveguide, but it might be a while before we could get around to that. We have some very good results with RS28a tweeter, and a step up in development tools, but dammit, captain, there's still only 24 hours in a day!

:rofl:

But, to part the curtain on the thinking for the cabinet and woofer and PR, this is the POC modeling in Unibox, 14L net. One PR. (yes, I have stock...)

BTW, this PR is the part used in the yet to be completed and mothballed in storage Kurosawa Dai Katanna...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 7.25.21 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	866799

Click image for larger version

Name:	PR223BD02.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	866800

Yes, this is the PR derived from the woofers used in the Wavecor Ardent.

I think this could be pretty fun, reasonably priced system. Should be clean and gutsy. Of course, reasonably priced is relative. Those wanting bragging rights can update to the T25B-6 tweeter!

My apologies for the minor thread hijacking, to answer your question to some degree. Hope Matt doesn't catch me!
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
                      • Mar 2005

Hi Jon and all,

Sorry for being way too infrequent poster over here, but as it is that sometime life does need more focus elsewhere. Work has ramped up with more accountabilities and we too are starting a 'house build'. In our case we are trying to downsize and eventually move to seaside/countryside instead of the city.

My friend is still actively listening to the OLA-s (augmented with two ScanSpeak 10'' woofers in sealed enclosures and driven my Hypex DSP equipped amp)....

Things turned interesting though as I took him along to a listening session at my other friends place who's latest project is an open baffle, augmented with a bass section and a tweeter for very top end. Other than that an approx 7'' fullrange takes care of most of the band.

This impressed my friend a lot with some of the 'ease of sound' and 'depth of soundstage' etc.... So when I do find time to help we might kick off.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

What do they say? The best project is a new project?!

Yes, I truly do understand the issues around finding time- thanks for the response!
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• john121
                          • Mar 2023

I did a my own project in VituixCAD 1 timeframe last time and then there was the Wavecor Ardent build in between. Now with VituixCAD 2 I've been dabbling with it but decided to use this opportunity to learn it better and follow Kimmo's process (which I see I failed at first go ... anyhow learning and trying again....

With the new turntable, even though it's manual, it does allow collecting the 3X 0..180 deg data pretty fast. So that's not really a problem. Just have to figure out the rest of the process and get better at that too.

The listening distance will the the usual 2.5...2.7m or thereabouts. My friend has a low long shelf for TV that will also have the speakers on it. The back wall is another 1.8m or so behind the speakers. So room mode wise these will be close to free standing and the only strong first reflection will be the floor/ceiling one. I have pictures of his room, but I'll ask him first if it's ok to post those.

Above diagram is just to help get the distances right for the measurement case and I'm trying to match up the simulation with the true "all parallel" measurement at 1m.

Sorry, double post

Comment

• john121
                            • Mar 2023

A new build thread with

Drivers:
                            2x SB acoustics MW16P-8
                            Bliesma T34B-4 tweeter.

Concept:
                            Midwoofers in closed box.
                            2.5way design (lower woofer helps compensate baffle step, but is rolled off before upper woofer)
                            Bliesma tweeter mated with a waveguide to optimize the off axis / power response integration with midwoofer.

Other design goals:
                            It is a known that these speakers will be augmented with subwoofer for frequencies below 80Hz
                            The speakers must be able to play well also at low listening levels as the "client" - ie my friend likes to listen to music tracks at lower level than an average audiophile I suppose.
                            The speakers must also handle Home Cinema scenario as that will be an equally important use case and the speakers will be used for music/movies almost equally.

Current progress:
                            As the furniture and placement in room is known the front panel size is also known to be 700x220mm
                            I've been printing several waveguide for the Bliesma tweeter and measuring them on this intended front panel
                            SB midwoofers are also bought and measured. One is currently also on the baffle with a 15.7L plastic pot as a "closed box"
                            The latter has allowed gathering on axis and upto 180deg off axis measurements for both drivers including the relative phase between them for estimating which WG depth and shape gives the best hope for a good xover integration

A teaser of a current proto stage
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]28916[/ATTACH]..
                            May i ask what you thought of the 6-channel hypex amp after construction and listening. I am going to build one too and would like to hear your thoughts. i hear it is an obsolete amp, how does it compare with say a modern tpa3255

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"