Sealed Statements II with RS28F Tweeter Crossover help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wirenut
    • Apr 2017

Sealed Statements II with RS28F Tweeter Crossover help!

I am building the boxes (From the original size in two thousand eight) a set of Sealed Statements. I will be using the RS225-8 woofers, the NE123-8 mid bass speakers, but I want to use the RS28F-4 tweeter... basically a Sealed Statement II with the change from the ribbon tweeter to the RS28F.
    The reason for this is that I already built the Center channel speaker and would like to match it.

So... my question is, which crossover design should I use for this build?

Here is what my center looks like.. as well as what I would like to match Click image for larger version

Name:	20161213_155541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	872178

Thank you in advance!
    Dan
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The tweeter circuit for the Finalists center will be the closest. No guarantees that it won't need adjustment but that should get you close.

Jim

Comment

• wirenut
      • Apr 2017

Wow Jim, I didn't expect hearing from you but greatly appreciate it! I have scoured the resources on the net. You and Curt should be very proud of yourselves for what you guys have meant for the DIY speaker community!
      That being said,
      I am not trying to create another Statement speaker for the community... you guys own that, but as a newbie.. I may have worked backwards on my project (Building the center channel first because I loved the dual mid-base design)

So I thought I would do my build and IMHO report what I have learned.

Unfortunately, I do not have room to incorporate the full statements, but after finding the sealed statement build page.. well, I was very hopeful! I can manage those in my room. Of course after reading about the updates to the statements II I thought that maybe I could do the build as a sealed statement II (I had not found any information on that, but figured if it worked for the statements (changing the mid-woofers) then it should work for the "sealed version". ? Then, changing the tweeter to match the center speaker for the statements II/finalists center.

So that is how it all evolved.

I thank you again for taking the time to give your input,

Dan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wirenut
        Wow Jim, I didn't expect hearing from you but greatly appreciate it! I have scoured the resources on the net. You and Curt should be very proud of yourselves for what you guys have meant for the DIY speaker community!
        That being said,
        I am not trying to create another Statement speaker for the community... you guys own that, but as a newbie.. I may have worked backwards on my project (Building the center channel first because I loved the dual mid-base design)

So I thought I would do my build and IMHO report what I have learned.

Unfortunately, I do not have room to incorporate the full statements, but after finding the sealed statement build page.. well, I was very hopeful! I can manage those in my room. Of course after reading about the updates to the statements II I thought that maybe I could do the build as a sealed statement II (I had not found any information on that, but figured if it worked for the statements (changing the mid-woofers) then it should work for the "sealed version". ? Then, changing the tweeter to match the center speaker for the statements II/finalists center.

So that is how it all evolved.

I thank you again for taking the time to give your input,

Dan
        Hi Dan,

Thank you for the kind words. It's a labor of love for Curt and I just do it for fun and the pursuit of great sound.

A couple thoughts.

Sealed or ported do not affect the crossover, only bass capability. The currently available RS225's only have a F/3 of around 57 Hz. sealed vs 32 Hz. ported so you will need a sub(s) to fill out the bottom octave. They'll have very nice clean bass but just not very deep sealed.

The sealed cabinet is smaller in height but the ribbon/tweeter still need to be at the ear level of your seated listening height. Don't forget the recommended 18" clearance from the back of the speaker to the wall behind since the sealed cabinet still has open back mids for them to perform as designed.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• wirenut
          • Apr 2017

Going for it! Decided to do the ported Statements II (With the RS28F) Tweeters. Here is a sneak peek so far...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_120155.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	862897

Name:	20170416_120208.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	862898

Name:	20170416_151933.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	862899

Name:	20170416_151940.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	862900

Name:	20170416_152231.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	862901
          Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 10:36 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wirenut
            • Apr 2017

Statements II RS28F Tweeters

Stages of the build.. YouTube is your friend here if you want to apply veneer to MDF.

Name:	20170421_152613.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	862902

Name:	20170421_150822.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	862903

Name:	20170421_113727.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	862904

Name:	20170421_111236.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	862905

Name:	20170418_190546.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	862906
            Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 10:46 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wirenut
              • Apr 2017

A few more.. then on to the Crossover Build.

Click image for larger versionName:	20170423_133437.jpgViews:	2Size:	57.2 KBID:	862907Click image for larger versionName:	20170423_115724.jpgViews:	2Size:	51.6 KBID:	862908Click image for larger versionName:	20170423_115714.jpgViews:	2Size:	53.2 KBID:	862909Click image for larger versionName:	20170422_162646.jpgViews:	2Size:	63.4 KBID:	862910Click image for larger versionName:	20170422_162544.jpgViews:	2Size:	55.2 KBID:	862911
              Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 10:47 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

a fine looking build!
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wirenut
                  • Apr 2017

The Crossovers... Waiting on back ordered resistors. Will add terminal strips as well

Click image for larger versionName:	20170426_145726.jpgViews:	1Size:	84.7 KBID:	862920Click image for larger versionName:	20170426_131927.jpgViews:	1Size:	61.6 KBID:	862919
                  Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 10:48 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wirenut
                    • Apr 2017

Jim, I noticed a difference in the capacitor value from the (center channel) to the statements II speaker. I thought this was odd so I thought I would chime in.... I am seeing a 68uf value on the centers, and a 60uf on the original statements II. This had me confused because they should remain the same as far as the speakers go. Volume should not play a part from what I understand? I am hoping this was a typo. I went with a 51uf and a 9.1uf (due to stock at P.E) in parallel to achieve a 60.1uf value. Hope I am okay with that.
                    I also used the updated mid woofer Xover circuit for the Statements II, coupled with the Tweeter circuit for the change to the RS28F (As it is in the center channel).

By the way.. not sure if you caught the post, but I cannot help myself...This will be a PORTED statement build! I figured with the time involved and having to build some sort of base for them... I may as well go all the wa
                    Let me know if you see any issues in my build.

Thanks again,
                    Dan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Jim, I noticed a difference in the capacitor value from the (center channel) to the statements II speaker. I thought this was odd so I thought I would chime in.... I am seeing a 68uf value on the centers, and a 60uf on the original statements II. This had me confused because they should remain the same as far as the speakers go. Volume should not play a part from what I understand? I am hoping this was a typo. I went with a 51uf and a 9.1uf (due to stock at P.E) in parallel to achieve a 60.1uf value. Hope I am okay with that.
                      I also used the updated mid woofer Xover circuit for the Statements II, coupled with the Tweeter circuit for the change to the RS28F (As it is in the center channel).

By the way.. not sure if you caught the post, but I cannot help myself...This will be a PORTED statement build! I figured with the time involved and having to build some sort of base for them... I may as well go all the wa
                      Let me know if you see any issues in my build.

Thanks again,
                      Dan
                      Hi Dan,

You should use the Statements II crossover for the mids and woofer exactly as speced. The only difference is you'll substitute the RS28F tweeter crossover from the Finalist center for the ribbon. Again, no guarantees this will be perfect, but it should get you closer to correct. Ignore the mid and woofer crossover from the center or original Statements. The different cap values change crossover frequencies depending on the drivers and application.

I prefer ported. However since you have a sealed size cabinet the port can't go directly behind the RS225 for a rear port. Somehow, you'll need to bottom port it. This is the "Y" in DIY. :W

HTH

Jim

Comment

• wirenut
                        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                        Hi Dan,

You should use the Statements II crossover for the mids and woofer exactly as speced. The only difference is you'll substitute the RS28F tweeter crossover from the Finalist center for the ribbon. Again, no guarantees this will be perfect, but it should get you closer to correct. Ignore the mid and woofer crossover from the center or original Statements. The different cap values change crossover frequencies depending on the drivers and application.

I prefer ported. However since you have a sealed size cabinet the port can't go directly behind the RS225 for a rear port. Somehow, you'll need to bottom port it. This is the "Y" in DIY. :W

HTH

Jim
                        Oh yes, I am doing exactly that with regards to the crossovers. I think I was mis understood on the cabinet build. No worries there, I am actually building the full size Statements and porting them. An easy change to the non ported... I am going to take the cabinets I have built and cut the bottom mdf openings, then add the 15" section to them and do a black on the oak section where the port will go. So they will be 55" tall plus whatever base platform I decide to go with.
                        All is good!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Oh yes, I am doing exactly that with regards to the crossovers. I think I was mis understood on the cabinet build. No worries there, I am actually building the full size Statements and porting them. An easy change to the non ported... I am going to take the cabinets I have built and cut the bottom mdf openings, then add the 15" section to them and do a black on the oak section where the port will go. So they will be 55" tall plus whatever base platform I decide to go with.
                          All is good!
                          Hi Dan,

You've got it nailed. Be sure that there's plenty of room for the port to breathe on the bottom. There was a running change in the Statements base that wasn't very well documented in that I cut a 5" wide channel out of the bottom 3 layers of MDF exiting to the back of the speaker. It never runs out of air.

You're close!

Jim

Comment

• wirenut
                            • Apr 2017

Lots to do, but... PROGRESS!

So, now that I am waiting on some parts, I had enough to focus on the finalities with one speaker. So, here we go...

Name:	20170501_173151.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	862933

Name:	20170430_131416.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	862934

Name:	20170430_131408.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	862935
                            Last edited by theSven; 08 April 2023, 10:49 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

your loosing points for having such a clean & well organized garage.......
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• thirumalkumaran
                                • May 2021

Any updates on this build? I might be pushed to adopt this config, due to unavailability of the Fountek neo CD3.0!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"