X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Supernova
    • Mar 2017

Modulus-686 - Stereo Amplifier Build.

Hello all!

I wasn't sure where to put this within the forum but since it is somewhat of a DIY project I thought I'd post it in the Mission Possible DIY area, if this is the incorrect area mods please move it to the correct area.

I never intended to build my own amplifier and had spent several years reading various reviews on stereo amps and mono block amps. I had narrowed my search down the to Benchmark AHB2 and was fairly committed to going with that amplifier. The plan was to buy one and then at a later date purchase a second. What gravitated me towards the AHB2 was the low-distortion and noise along with small form factor and efficiency, oh and stellar reviews from owners and Jon Marsh.

So how on earth did I end up going DIY, well that started with my search for a stereo preamp. I wanted a very low distortion and low noise preamp. I had been considering the Schiit Freya for quite some time and was patiently awaiting Jon's review, but obviously he's got his hands full with other things. Anyway, I like the Freya because it was essentially 3 different types of preamps in one and that seemed like more fun than your typical tube or solid state amplifier. Then I started gravitating to something much more expensive, the Hegel P30, but that seemed like a massive investment for something I wouldn't be able to listen to before I purchased.

I started poking around the DIYAudio forums and reading threads on people building their own amps and preamps. Then I ran into the Doug Self Preamp thread and decided that it's a project I could accomplish, even though my soldering skills aren't great. Then by chance I saw the Modulus-686 thread and became very interested. However asking a few question I realized that populating the boards was probably well above my skill level and then learned that Tom was offering prepopulated boards, but at a premium. I have since purchased the boards and chassis from ModuShop. I didn't blindly purchased chassis, but worked with Tom on the layout and configuration.

So here are pictures of the modules I purchased. Originally was going to go with an SMPS, but reading through the thread some people were having issues. I could have gone with one that would give me less power in the end, but my watt greediness got the better of me. I'm not sure if I'll regret that decision or not.

So here are some pictures of the boards.

Modulus-696 * 2
    360 W (4 Ω), 240 W (8 Ω) balanced composite amplifier achieving 0.00025 % THD+N.
    High-power balanced composite audio amplifier featuring:

Mono construction.
    • Output power: 360 W (4 Ω) – 240 W (8 Ω).
    • Ultra-low 0.00025 % THD+N (140 W, 8 Ω, 1 kHz).
    • Ultra-low 0.00036 % THD+N (280 W, 4 Ω, 1 kHz).
    • Ultra-low noise: 25.0 µV (RMS, A-weighted, 20 Hz – 20 kHz).
    • Gain: +26 dB. Changeable by resistor option.
    • Professionally assembled in Calgary.
    • Board size: 8.25 × 2.30 inches (210 × 59 mm). The finished module measures 9.55 × 2.50 × 1.45 inches (Approx. 245 × 65 × 36 m

m).

Power-686 * 2

ISS: Intelligent Soft Start * 1

Guardian-686 * 2
    Speaker protection board (balanced, stereo, dual-mono).

Transformer * 1
    AN-8225-88VA 25V

Chassis - Dissipante 04/400B 4U 10mm SILVER

All the other extra's were ordered from Mouser Electronics. I had a difficult time finding the right power switch and ended up with one that wasn't exactly what I wanted. I could have waited, but once things started arriving I grew impatient.

I could have made this amp full dual mono by buying 2 transformers and 2 ISS modules, but the cost added up quickly and I honestly doubt I would notice or hear the difference. In the end I'll have an amp with plenty of power and very respectable noise floor and distortion. Will I regret not going with the Benchmark amplifier, I'll know when I'm done.

Links
    Chassis: https://modushop.biz
    Transformer: http://www.antekinc.com/an-8225-800va-25v-transformer/
    Boards: https://www.neurochrome.com/
    686 thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...y-low-thd.html
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

It'll be interesting to see what you think of these once you get everything up and running.

If I didn't DIY the Benchmark amplifier is definitely what I would go for. It's performance is exemplary on every front and is compact and efficient!

As I needed multichannel amplification I went with a TPA3251 build with post filter feedback.

Most of the listening we do uses very little amounts of power so an amplifier with less power, but an exemplary noise figure is definitely more important than something with tons of power. Unless you need the power of course.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Supernova
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 5th element
      It'll be interesting to see what you think of these once you get everything up and running.

If I didn't DIY the Benchmark amplifier is definitely what I would go for. It's performance is exemplary on every front and is compact and efficient!

As I needed multichannel amplification I went with a TPA3251 build with post filter feedback.

Most of the listening we do uses very little amounts of power so an amplifier with less power, but an exemplary noise figure is definitely more important than something with tons of power. Unless you need the power of course.
      I certainly don't need the power that's on offer here but I wanted something more than 100WPC. I plan to run Statement II's with this amp and any future speakers I build (many on my radar). Of course I could have gone the Hypex route and I entertained some of D-Sonic's amps, but the Benchmark was always more intriguing. There's always the possibility of switching over to SMPS in the future and I'm keeping an eye on the 686 thread over at DIYAudio to see what people find.

I'll have some initial build pic's up shortly. :B

Comment

• Supernova
        • Mar 2017

Here is the case assembled and modules installed. Compound applied to the amp modules. Now I have to figure-out how to wiring everything together. 8O:??
        Attached Files

Comment

• Supernova
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 5th element

Is there a build thread for you multichannel amp? I would love to read it. Enjoyed poking around your website. That DSP project was mighty ambitious, I applaud you for taking on such a task. Recently I did a raspberry pi build as a media streamer with HiFiBerry balanced DAC; the sound quality is impressive. That being said, I've tried Volumino, Rune and Moode and really don't think they're what I'm looking for. I wanted something that was easier to create playlists etc with my own files and while I appreciate they make good streamers, the stability isn't great.

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

A bit of caution on the construction (learned the hard way): Wherever you have a stranded wire going into a screw terminal block it needs an end crimp. Without a ferrule crimped on the end of stranded wire, it will eventually start arcing in the terminal block. I was lucky and saw the first puff of smoke as my amp started arcing after over a year of service. In the time it took me to get it shut down it had almost melted through a euro block style terminal.

Comment

• Supernova
              • Mar 2017

Bob,

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to look and see where I can find one. I'll have a look at the local shop to see what they that will work. Do you think just soldering the ends would work? I don't have a ferrule crimp tool, but I have is this:
              Attached Files

Comment

• boinger
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by BobEllis
                A bit of caution on the construction (learned the hard way): Wherever you have a stranded wire going into a screw terminal block it needs an end crimp. Without a ferrule crimped on the end of stranded wire, it will eventually start arcing in the terminal block. I was lucky and saw the first puff of smoke as my amp started arcing after over a year of service. In the time it took me to get it shut down it had almost melted through a euro block style terminal.
                You could also tin it.

Comment

• Supernova
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by boinger
                  You could also tin it.
                  Thanks, that's probably what I will do.

Comment

• BobEllis
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

I don’t remember where, but I read that soldering/tinning the ends of stranded wire isn’t quite up to snuff as the solder can still creep under pressure.

I bought a ferrule crimper on Amazon for $30 or so. Cheap piece of mind.

Comment

• sdl2112
                      • Mar 2006

+1 on ferrules. I just bought this kit for $25, includes crimper and 1200 ferrules. Works great. I have to admit I have just tinned ends before without issue but ferrules is way better/faster/easier.

Comment

• Supernova
                        • Mar 2017

Thanks!

I'll look for something similar here in New Zealand. I try to not order anything from overseas anymore. The laws changed here and I had ordered $200 worth of goods and was charged $130 in taxes and import fees.

Comment

• Supernova
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sdl2112
                          +1 on ferrules. I just bought this kit for $25, includes crimper and 1200 ferrules. Works great. I have to admit I have just tinned ends before without issue but ferrules is way better/faster/easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Ok.. I ended up ordering because I was having some issues finding other things from Element 14 or RS. Thanks for the advice and link.

Comment

• Scottg
                            • Nov 2006

Nice project! 8)

I've been thinking about the smaller 86 solely for measurements..

Comment

• Supernova
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Scottg
                              Nice project! 8)

I've been thinking about the smaller 86 solely for measurements..
                              Do you mean you want to measure it or that you want to pick it up based on its measurements?

Comment

• dwk
                                • Apr 2005

Any update on this? I (miraculously, IMHO) managed to pick up a used Mod-86 and within it's power envelope it's fantastic - clearly outclasses anything else I have (not that this is saying much, I guess). I'm still noodling on a system design for the living room, but either the Mod686 or NCore/Purifi would fit the role of 'lifetime amp to drive anything' and so are under consideration if I go with a passive xover. I have a sentimental preference for the Mod686, but the value proposition of the NC400 at the moment is hard to deny.

Comment

• Scottg
                                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Supernova
                                  Do you mean you want to measure it or that you want to pick it up based on its measurements?
                                  -use it for measuring drivers. Notably non-linear distortion. (When I was doing driver measurements), I use(d) a cheap Dayton Audio APA150. It's with a dual-channel system, so it really doesn't matter.. but.. ops: (..piece-of-mind knowing the entire measurement setup has extremely low distortion.)

I'd get a much better mic. first though (..for those near-field measurements where spl can get very high at the mic.). That actually matters.
                                  Last edited by Scottg; 12 July 2019, 22:58 Friday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Very interesting looking project- I hope it is on track and running by now. I bought one of those same series of chassis for a project about 3 years ago- seeing the post triggered my memory, and the embarrassing part is that I can't remember what it was for!!!

I also have the Pass Amp Camp kit stashed away- was supposed to be building that by now, but working 7 days a week and having a new GF definitely cuts back on the DIY time...
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Supernova
                                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by dwk
                                      Any update on this? I (miraculously, IMHO) managed to pick up a used Mod-86 and within it's power envelope it's fantastic - clearly outclasses anything else I have (not that this is saying much, I guess). I'm still noodling on a system design for the living room, but either the Mod686 or NCore/Purifi would fit the role of 'lifetime amp to drive anything' and so are under consideration if I go with a passive xover. I have a sentimental preference for the Mod686, but the value proposition of the NC400 at the moment is hard to deny.
                                      Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                      Very interesting looking project- I hope it is on track and running by now. I bought one of those same series of chassis for a project about 3 years ago- seeing the post triggered my memory, and the embarrassing part is that I can't remember what it was for!!!

I also have the Pass Amp Camp kit stashed away- was supposed to be building that by now, but working 7 days a week and having a new GF definitely cuts back on the DIY time...
                                      Dwk - Nice pick-up. Glad to hear you like it. I thought about something like that for my DAW desktop system.

Jon - There's been no progress made. It wont take long once I get back to it, but been very busy with other life things.
                                      Last edited by Supernova; 24 July 2019, 19:07 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"