X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWaveCarver
    • Apr 2016

How to Learn Passive Crossover Design?

What are some good sources online to learn about passive crossover design? Right when I think I'm beginning to figure it all out, I learn something new (Baffle step diffraction, driver impedance matching). I'm just beginning to understand the purpose of L-Pads and Zobels but have no idea how to calculate such elements in a crossover. Is there a complete and comprehensive guide to crossover design? I really want to understand all of the intricacies that going into making a crossover, but find it hard to find a singular source that sort of lays out the basics lays down the very basic concepts and calculations.

My current project is a Modula MT (Jon Marsh) with the major difference being that I'm sealing the enclosure.
    Useful link for other people attempting to do this: http://www.rjbaudio.com/RS180MTM/rs180-rs28-mtm.html

Also this is sort of a side question... but could someone explain how it's possible to design a speaker that accepts both non-bi-amping and bi-amping? When bi-amped (Assuming that the speaker you're driving is two-way, TM) would the tweeter continue to receive a signal affected by the original passive crossover while the woofer would be driven directly by the secondary amp? Or is it the opposite? Or something completely different? It's to my understanding that the benefit of bi-amping is that you can drive the tweeter and woofer independently (Basically shift the crossover outside of the speaker cabinet), so what happens to the original crossover when you do this?
    Last edited by TheWaveCarver; 21 April 2016, 11:02 Thursday. Reason: Added a Link
  • ergo
    • Mar 2005

Some good ones that I like where the whole process is covered (helps to get the thinking straight for the whole speaker design)

Kirchner Speaker Development
    and Kirchner articles here

Passive Crossovers - The Design of High Quality Passive Crossover Networks
    and also the whole section under Crossovers, Filters and Signal Processing

Simple Loudspeaker Design

Comment

• TheWaveCarver
      • Apr 2016

Thanks ergo! Will check those out tonight when I have some more time. Anyone else reading this thread, feel free to post any sources that helped you out as well.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"