X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Finally took the 4K disc player plunge

Picked up a Panasonic 420 (can't remember the whole code--too lazy to look it up) UHD 4K Blu-ray player. Plugged into my home office computer monitor (really a 43" 4K TV). It has a well-reviewed HDR system that enhances most TVs' HDR performance (certainly does a good job on mine). It would be of limited use if it was restricted to discs, but it also has a Netflix interface. My TV already has one, but 4K HDR Netflix shows/movies look notably better via the player than the TV's own app (I'd stopped watching a few HDR shows on Netflix on my TV because they were so dim--strangely not a problem on other 4K HDR sources).

Too bad I hardly have time to watch anything these days, but it's good knowing the capacity is there.
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

If you really want to see what it can do, you will need an HDR monitor using a compatible HDR color system. That means 10 bits per color channel instead of 8. The two main encoding standards are Dolbyvision and HDR10.

I recently bought a Panasonic DP-UB820PCK because it supports both of those standards (many players only support one or the other).

Too bad I hardly have time to watch anything these days, but it's good knowing the capacity is there.
    This is not an unfamiliar feeling...
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Evil Twin
      If you really want to see what it can do, you will need an HDR monitor using a compatible HDR color system. That means 10 bits per color channel instead of 8. The two main encoding standards are Dolbyvision and HDR10.

I recently bought a Panasonic DP-UB820PCK because it supports both of those standards (many players only support one or the other).

This is not an unfamiliar feeling...
      I will eventually upgrade the display in the “cave” but, for now, things are sufficient in my home office setup. I just hope I eventually have time to fully enjoy the gear before discs disappear altogether.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I watched a Blu ray movie and a standard 480p DVD on my 4K projector this weekend (Sat night double feature for me), and I was quite happy with the performance. They were both movies I had seen before, but it was relaxing, watching movies on the projector again. I think I need 1 or 2 this weekend, to destress.

I am sure 4K source material is better on 4K, I have a little 4K source material on my older curved front Samsung via a special disc drive that came with it, there's not to much on it, but a little bit of nature stuff and all. So, that's my glimpse, but blu rays up converted by both player and projector, are pretty good to me! Of course, video displays have improved since that 4K 52" TV was made, a LOT I am sure. But I chose 4K projector instead of another 50-60" TV. I still have my Samsung 60" plasma as well, so film like and smooth with blu rays. I still love watching it. But I don't watch to often.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"