X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

My Oppo has the blues

My 83 has started behaving a bit strangely. With BD discs (so far, doesn't affect DVD, DVD-A, SACD), the player seems to get "stuck" randomly. It doesn't freeze (I've experienced "freezing discs" on my HD DVD player enough to know the difference) but rather sticks then resumes by itself after about 1 sec.--doesn't skip forward or lose audio. The first couple of times I thought the player was having trouble with layer changes, but it can happen at any time (4 mins in or 60 mins in or anywhere, really). I did the factory reset and cleared the persistent memory (first time it's been done), as suggested on various sites when I did a search this morning. One thing I have noticed--if I rewind to a point prior to the unprovoked pause, it won't reproduce the problem at the same point (so I don't think the discs are the problem--almost all of them were freshly unwrapped and never before played).

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I realize the machine is not new, but I have significantly older disc players that have no issues. I'm out of ideas.

Theoretical question: is it possible (assuming my cleaning the lens doesn't work--and this applies to any BD player, I guess) for a BD player's blue laser to fail (thus leading to my current problem with BDs, and worse down the line) while its red laser remains functional considerably longer? If that is the case (if a problem with the blue laser does not automatically lead to a problem with the red one), then my BDP-83 becomes a pretty decent DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD player and I need only add a BD player to the system to supplement it (and that BD player need not be an Oppo--don't see the need to spend a lot on a BD player now when, in a couple of years, I'll likely make the move to UHD).

Of course, this speculation on my part is moot if I've woefully misunderstood how the player's innards actually work. I won't take it personally if I've asked a stupid question.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I had an Oppo DVD player awhile back and loved it. It failed after 2 years. This to me is unacceptable given what I paid for it and the fact that my Marantz CD player bought back in the early 90's is still going strong!

For whatever damn reason, I find higher end stuff lasts less long and is more 'buggy'.

That being said, I would pop the unit open and clean the lens as you mentioned. If that doesn't work, you can contact Oppo and scream that their hi end unit has failed on you prematurely. They are pretty good there and they will likely agree to fix it for free if you pay to ship it to them. They did this for me out of warranty which was nice but, the unit failed again a short time later and I just trashed the damn thing and continue now to use my PS3 as my BD and DVD player without problems. Sheesh!!

Damn Oppo's ! :M
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I remember from the SeeDee days that the laser alignment can sometimes cause issues.....
      not sure if you could conveniently find anyone who had the specs or ability to check yours, however.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I've already decided to give cleaning a try (when I have time to extract it from my setup and do the job with care--so maybe summer 2018 ). If it doesn't work, I will keep it for DVDs and hi-res audio discs (the player was free to me and I spent a bit on a hardware mod to make it region-free, but not very much), as I've since learned my supposition is correct. Even if the blue laser is conked out, it can use its red laser for all the other media for years to come. Meanwhile, region-free BD players are now available for not too much money (a lot less than another Oppo plus mod), so if I need one, I'll pick one up. In the meantime, I have an inexpensive Sony player that I normally use at work (no BD players in our classrooms and I show a lot of movie excerpts--and the occasional full feature--in my classes) hooked up. For BDs it's fine (just can't play my European ones at the moment).

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Hope the cleaning yields the desired results.

Flawless operational longevity seems to be "luck of the draw" regardless of brand or price. Several years ago, I had a fairly high end universal player's laser go south one month after the warranty expired and the manufacturer said tough luck -- send it in along with a payment equal to about 50% of the unit's rather substantial original purchase price, or find something else. I found something else, the Oppo BDP-83, which is still working flawlessly in a bedroom system after it was displaced in the main room by an Oppo BDP-105, which is still going strong after two years of daily use.

I was annoyed enough by the operational quirks of the high end unit, I wasn't inclined to spend a lot to keep it going. But if either of my Oppos develops an issue, I wouldn't hesitate to send them in to get them fully operational again. When I did have an operational preference that wasn't part of the Oppo 105's feature set, I asked them directly about the feasibility of it being added, and it was included in their next firmware update. However, I'll admit that when I set up a "guest room" system, it got an inexpensive LG BluRay player since it is used very infrequently.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"