X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ice cube
    • Jan 2015

OPPO 103 vs PS4

Hi:
    I am thinking about having a PS4 but all my friends recommending the oppo. But oppo in my opinion will be upgraded to an advanced level may at the end of 2015 so at that time 4k movies will be released and I will not be happy with my oppo.
    What do you think guys?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Well that's a damn good question! I owned an Oppo DVD player for years and loved the picture it delivered. After only about 2 years it crapped out on me and Oppo fixed it for free. Shortly thereafter, it pooped out again and I gave up and started using my PS3 for all my DVD and BD viewing. I haven't looked back since. I must say that I was disappointed that the Oppo did not last very long. My Marantz CD player is over 10 years old and works perfectly and my PS3 is still going strong after about 6-7 years. That's more like it!

The PS3/PS4 is an exceptional player. It is considered by many (and me) to be a benchmark BD player. As well, you get the added advantage of having a fabulous gaming console and internet surfing machine. Once you get used to it, the hand held gaming stick is easy to use for BD and DVD control and there is no need to buy a regular remote to operate it for movies.

I have NO reservations recommending a Playstation, but make sure that you go into the Video settings (They are quite elaborate) and optimize the unit for your monitor. Once properly set up and connected via HDMI, I would guess it could come very close to being as good as the Oppo, especially for BD playback......but certainly not better. That would be a stretch!

Remember though that the Sony people made the BIG mistake in NOT making the PS4 backward compatable to play PS3 games!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

My Playstation has been the only BD I've had in my theater from the beginning of BD, which says a lot. (I have an advanced theater) The PS3 was a great BD player. PS4 is good, but not quite as great as PS3.

The Playstation should not be confused as a dedicated BD player, though. First and foremost, it is so difficult to control. Using the PS controller is clunky and adds another controller. There were work-arounds for the PS3, so you could program a Universal remote. There are (almost) no solutions for the PS4. The Oppo will clearly be a better BD player, with better performance, than Playstations.

However, you are at a distinct point in home theater, with 4K coming (probably) at the end of the year. I think you can be pretty assured that both the Oppos and PS4s will not be upgraded to have 4K disc capability. Oppo has said they will not be making a 4k player until 2016-2017. So, do you spend all the money for a really nice Oppo now, knowing you may have to buy a different 4K player in a year?

Unless you're wanting to get a PS4 for games, (which should be the primary reason) my personal advice would be to get a decent BD player now, without spending a ton of money, to get you through to 4K. Then save up your $$ for getting a real nice 4K player.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

Logitech makes an IR to Bluetooth converter that you put on top of your PS3. It enables you to use a harmony remote (or other universals) with the PS3. I have done this and I love it. You almost forget that you are using a gaming console for BD.

I've got a question. Are there any quality differences between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations of the PS3? Specifically for BD playback?

Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Primacoustic Room Treatments
        Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
        Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
        Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
        Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
        Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
        Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR
        Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I used a PS3 for BD playback for a number of years. However, in the past 18 months, I've used two other BD players (a Sony dedicated player, now in my home office, and a recently (free) acquired Oppo BDP-83). While not the latest model, its performance with BD is outstanding AND I was able to make it region-free with an easy DIY hardware mod (DIY install, not fabrication) for about 100$. My main reason for no longer relying on the PS3 is fan noise. Its performance was great, but the fan noise on my unit is LOUD. I eventually got tired of that. My understanding is the newer models (both PS3 and 4) are much quieter, though.

Chris' advice is sound, especially if anyone is planning a move to a 4K display/player in the near term. A 100$ Sony, Panasonic or Samsung will do the job as a transitional player. Also, the Oppo's advantage over a PS4 or other player is primarily its ability to play hi-res audio formats (SACD, DVD-A) and that is important to me. If one is not invested in those formats, though, the Oppo's advantages shrink considerably IMO.

Comment

• ice cube
            • Jan 2015

Thank you all

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
              I used a PS3 for BD playback for a number of years. However, in the past 18 months, I've used two other BD players (a Sony dedicated player, now in my home office, and a recently (free) acquired Oppo BDP-83). While not the latest model, its performance with BD is outstanding AND I was able to make it region-free with an easy DIY hardware mod (DIY install, not fabrication) for about 100$. My main reason for no longer relying on the PS3 is fan noise. Its performance was great, but the fan noise on my unit is LOUD. I eventually got tired of that. My understanding is the newer models (both PS3 and 4) are much quieter, though.

Chris' advice is sound, especially if anyone is planning a move to a 4K display/player in the near term. A 100$ Sony, Panasonic or Samsung will do the job as a transitional player. Also, the Oppo's advantage over a PS4 or other player is primarily its ability to play hi-res audio formats (SACD, DVD-A) and that is important to me. If one is not invested in those formats, though, the Oppo's advantages shrink considerably IMO.
              Ovation is right about the hi-res audio formats. I recently plopped a DVD-A disc into my PS3 and all I get is Dolby Surround. I plopped a SACD into it and it didn't recognize it at all!

I'm not sure why people are so turned off by using the PS3 controller to operate it for DVD and BD playback. It's really simple guys!!?? The fan noise is there but it's obviously gone once the movie starts playing and the room fills with sound.

I'm curious why the PS4 BD playback would not be as good as the PS3 however??? Anyone want to elaborate on that?
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

The fan noise is noticeable with my unit in moments when dialogue is the primary sound of the movie--it's only completely masked during loud action scenes (to be fair, my room is small--in a larger space, it would be less intrusive). My PS3 actually does play SACDs (I bought the last model that could do so). It's a backup player for that purpose should my three other SACD players crap out (highly unlikely but it's always good to have a backup).

I don't see why the PS4 should be any worse with Blu-ray. As for a controller, the Bluetooth remote available for the PS3 is inexpensive (20$) and works like a charm. I got one pretty much the same week as I did the player.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

A Playstation is primarily that, so if you use it for something else, there will be compromises. The PQ differences between players (@1080) are IMO small, you may just be happy with a $50 player that offers "bitstream out" to an audio processor, and wait for things to settle with 4K. I use a Samsung BD-F5100 ($50) and prefer it to a PS3, which until a few months ago was my primary player.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"