X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fernando
    • Apr 2020

Old surround formats

Hello guys

I own a 4.0 ch Klipsch Reference system and a 6.1 ch Onkyo Receiver . I bought this equipment in 2005 , it still works fine, but I would like to add a center speaker and a back center surround speaker , so I can enjoy Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES
    If for example, I play a modern DTS or Dolby file, encoded with 7 or more channels, (using the toslink cable to send the audio to my 6.1 Onkyo Receiver), will I be able to hear Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, or just the classic 5.1 channel format?

Thank you

Fernando
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

What model Onkyo receiver is it? With a model number we can look up the specifications and know for sure, but, since you say it's a "6.1" receiver, it probably only supports matrix 6.1 formats, not discrete ones. In other words, it decodes discrete 5.1 channels from the bitstream then uses a ProLogic-like phase differentiation algorithm to derive the rear center channel information. So, DD EX matrixed and DTS ES matrixed, not discrete most likely.

Considering the receiver's age, maybe time to consider an upgrade? Modern receivers support not only discrete 7.1, but beyond (Dolby Atmos, HD surround formats, etc). plus they have HDMI decoding and source switching, which your 2005 receiver probably doesn't have.

Comment

• Fernando
      • Apr 2020

Hi Kevin P

The model is TX-SR601 , it supports discrete and matrix 6.1 . I feel nostalgic about this receiver ( I was 15 when I bought it) that's why I haven`t bought a new one. Also, I'm an amateur musician, I have saved money to buy things like music instruments and audio equipment for my home studio.
      I love home theaters, I think that 5.1 and 6.1 systems are ok to use in a normal house environment like a living room (my case). Adding more speakers would probably create a more unrealistic soundstage. Maybe Dolby Atmos is good in rooms dedicated just to home theater.
      But I promise I will upgrade when my Onkyo stops working.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Ok, so it does support 6.1 discrete. You should be good adding speakers up to 6.1 with that receiver.

Down the road, especially if you're watching blu ray or 4k movies, or have multiple HDMI devices you'll probably want something more modern.

7.1 Dolby Digital and DTS sources will render in 6.1.

Comment

• Fernando
          • Apr 2020

Hello Kevin

If I play, for example, a Blu ray disc with 7.1 DTS-HD, my receiver will detect that signal as DTS-ES ?

Thank you, have a good night

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Fernando
            Hello Kevin

If I play, for example, a Blu ray disc with 7.1 DTS-HD, my receiver will detect that signal as DTS-ES ?

Thank you, have a good night
            If it is anything like my old Integra DTR 6.4 (a close cousin of your Onkyo and also a 6.1 AVR), then yes.

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Yes, the player will downconvert DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD to something compatible with coax or optical digital output.

I'm in the same boat, my pre-pro is from the early 2000s, has no HDMI or HD audio support, just coax and optical digital inputs. When I play a blu-ray through it, I get the downconverted signal (DD EX or DTS-ES). Not sure if it's 6.1 or 7.1, but that probably depends on your player's downconversion capability or perhaps what's encoded on the disc.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"