How to connect RCA 5.1 surround sound to receiver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leweyht
    • Feb 2020

How to connect RCA 5.1 surround sound to receiver?

My receiver has settings specifically for Dolby 5.1 surround send. It’s old (but still strong!) and only has RCA inputs (no HDMI or Optical). I’ve included an image of the back. I’m having trouble understanding how to feed it the surround sound information with the plugins on the back.

The goal is to give it 5.1 surround sound info from the tv. The tv has HDMI and Optical output so I was going to purchase this converter that changes the HDMI to RCA surround sound outputs. Where do I connect these to the receiver though for the SL, SR and Center speakers?

Right now I just have the stereo connection (two RCA plugs) going into the tv/aux input the two rear speaker definitely have no sound coming out.

Receiver is harman/kardon AVR 20II (I know it’s old but I love it! Don’t laugh!)

Thank you so much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1581495775814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	872388
    Click image for larger version

Name:	61f41DYMIIL._SL1416_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	872389
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to HTGuide.

That receiver is so old it only supports Dolby Pro Logic surround. It doesn't have individual channel inputs to connect something like that HDMI adapter, nor does it have optical digital inputs.

All you could do is connect the front L/R from the HDMI adapter, and use Pro Logic for surround, which won't give you the discrete surround coming from your TV.

Maybe time for a new(er) receiver? Modern ones have HDMI built in so you can plug your sources into it and then run out to the TV, and you'll get all the latest surround formats, plus things like internet radio and streaming.

Does your TV have an HDMI *output* (or input with ARC)? You'd need that to feed audio from the TV to a receiver or that interface.

Comment

• leweyht
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Kevin P
      Welcome to HTGuide.

That receiver is so old it only supports Dolby Pro Logic surround. It doesn't have individual channel inputs to connect something like that HDMI adapter, nor does it have optical digital inputs.

All you could do is connect the front L/R from the HDMI adapter, and use Pro Logic for surround, which won't give you the discrete surround coming from your TV.

Maybe time for a new(er) receiver? Modern ones have HDMI built in so you can plug your sources into it and then run out to the TV, and you'll get all the latest surround formats, plus things like internet radio and streaming.

Does your TV have an HDMI *output* (or input with ARC)? You'd need that to feed audio from the TV to a receiver or that interface.

Yeah hoping to save the money and not need to upgrade.

Indeed, the TV has both HDMI output and HDMI input with ARC. Currently I’m using the tv’s optical output to a DAC (Digital Audio Converter) with 2 RCA’s out of the DAC going to the receiver.

It’s just strange to me that the receiver has a Dolby Surround Prologic setting that produces no sound from the rear speakers. There really must be something I’m doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

The optical to a DAC is probably your best solution if you don't want to replace your receiver.

If you have Pro Logic surround turned on, you should get something from the rears, even if it's only a little bit. Make sure you're watching programs encoded in stereo at least. Are you getting sound from the center speaker? Surround in Pro Logic is derived from the phase difference of the left and right channels.

Does your receiver have test tones? If it does, you should be able to test if the rears are working at all.

Do you have any sources besides just the TV? Streaming devices, DVD, Blu Ray? Try those if you have them. Try a movie that you know has surround. With a DVD try selecting the 2.0 instead of 5.1 soundtrack.

Also, check your TV settings for the optical output. Make sure it's set to output 2.0 (PCM if possible) instead of Dolby Digital 5.1. Your DAC may not be passing surround info to the receiver at all unless it receives a 2.0 signal.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"