X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

Denon 2900 or 2910?

Can you tell me which one you would choose and why? I can't find a spec comparison of the two.

Thanks
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

I ended up getting the 2910 only because of the additional formats it could handle.

Comment

• Foxman
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by boe
      Can you tell me which one you would choose and why? I can't find a spec comparison of the two.

Thanks
      try this Denon 2910.

and this 2900
      IMO

My Movies
      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• boe
        • Jul 2004

Thanks - I don't think there was a clear choice. The 2900 is much better for somethings and the 2910 has many features the 2900 doesn't. I got the 2910 but I'm sure either way I would have wanted the other.

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Also remember that the 2900 and 2910 started in different price ranges. The 2900 was originally $1000 before being cleared out for around $600 for the forthcoming 3910 (the 2900's replacement). I plan on getting a 2900 this month on clearence (or used if the price is right).
          ~Nick

Comment

• boe
            • Jul 2004

My 2910 arrived today. I watched one movie so far and it briefly had the macroblocking issue. I checked and I have the latest firmware. I can only blame myself

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

So, prices for a

2900 = $600
              2910 = $650
              3910 = $1300

Is the 3910 really worth that much or double the performance of the 2910? How do the 2900 & 2910 really compare?

Or should I just hold of replacing my 2800mk2, since HD and Blueray are comming out in a ~year?

Does anyone just make a DVD-A player anymore? Or are they all SACD/DVD-A? I know adcom has one, but it got horrible reviews for video...good reviews for sound.

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

I'm aware both Rotel and Arcam, among others I'm sure, support DVD-A but not SACD.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

The DVD Benchmark Shootout might help you somewhat. The 2900 is still ranked 4 points ahead of the 2910 but I personally do not consider that a lot of spread.

There are some good reviews below the ratings.

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

Based on the reviews, if you can get a good enough price on a used 2900 or refurbished go for it.

Otherwise, get a NEW 2910.

If you have cash to burn, 3910 is the way to go, but that is a chunk of change when we all know HD and Blueray are around the corner and the upgrade bug will soon hit!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

e-cost already has 3910's at $723... not too bad considering dealer cost is around $900. They also have the 2910's at $422 and 1910's at $162. It doesn't make much sense but their 2900's are still at $549. I think that's what I paid for mine over a year ago. All of these refurbished of course.

Dealer cost on the 2900 hasn't moved any since the new models have arrived.

Comment

• junior77blue
                        • Nov 2004

Is it 'safe' to buy refurbished?

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

I think so... especially Denon products because they are tested by Denon before being sent to the refurb e-tailer. My 2900 has not given me any problems and it looked just like a brand spankin' new one when I got it.

I believe there are several here who have purchased refurb's and been reasonably happy. I have a local friend who purchased a Denon 1200 from e-cost and he's been happy with his unit. It looked brand new as well.

I don't know that the refurb units might not be safer to buy than a new unit because of the fact they are freshly tested by Denon techs. Usually any other known issues are resolved at that time as well.

To be safe I would purchase an extended warranty... they are usually very inexpensive.

Comment

• mtodde
                            • Jan 2005

I don't really care about having a DVI or HDMI (I'm using my DVI for HDTV) out which was the main advantage I felt the 2910 had over the 2900. Being equally into audio & video I just chose the 2900 for the superior audio features...I got it from Listenup brand new with full warranty for $599. It will replace a Pioneer 563-A I've been using for SACD & DVD-A and the Harmon DVD-101 which was a great buy from HK on eBay @ $137...the HK picture qualtiy & Redbook CD quality are much better BTW.

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Glad to hear you went with listenup. They were fantastic when I ordered my 2900. Highly recommended eTailer.
                              ~Nick

Comment

• junior77blue
                                • Nov 2004

What's the website address to listenup?

Comment

• Nick M
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Take a guess... :B

*hint*
                                  http://www.listenup.com
                                  ~Nick

Comment

• junior77blue
                                    • Nov 2004

for some reason I can't get there...

Must be cause i'm on a mac or something...

Comment

• mtodde
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                      Glad to hear you went with listenup. They were fantastic when I ordered my 2900. Highly recommended eTailer.
                                      The vast majority of posters on the forums seemed very happy with their service and support. Thanks for confirming I made a good decision. The 2900 should be a significant upgrade from the 563-A for SACD and for $599 with full factory warranty versus $1300 for a new 3910 it was an easy decision. That's $700 that will go toward my speaker and/or receiver upgrade! :B

Comment

• whmacs
                                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by mtodde
                                        The vast majority of posters on the forums seemed very happy with their service and support. Thanks for confirming I made a good decision. The 2900 should be a significant upgrade from the 563-A for SACD and for $599 with full factory warranty versus $1300 for a new 3910 it was an easy decision. That's $700 that will go toward my speaker and/or receiver upgrade! :B
                                        Good Call,
                                        I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I went to my local dealer (who I trust) and enquired about buying a 2910 ($1200 AUD) or a 3910 ($1800). Both players were within my budget. They convinced me to go with a new 2900 ($1000 AUD). So far I've been very happy with it and its played everything I've thrown at it.

cheers,
                                        Stephen
                                        My Home Theatre

Comment

• Kevin P
                                          • Aug 2000

What are the audio advantages of the 2900 over the 2910? Better DACs? Less jitter? Just plain sounds better? How's the redbook (CD audio) sound? How's the build quality compare between the two players?

Just wondering since I'm considering a 2900 or 2910 for my next player when my house gets rebuilt. I had a Sony DVP-S9000ES before so I'm spoiled by well-built good sounding players.

Comment

• Nick M
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

People keep comparing the 2900 and 2910.
                                            People should be comparing the 2900 and 3910.

The 3910 (not the 2910) replaced the 2900.
                                            From what I understand, the 3910 and 2900 share many of the same components and circuit designs.

Went with the 2900 from all the rave reviews it got, and the $600 price tag vs $1200 price for the 3910. Some professional reviews also stated that redbook sound quality was better in the 2900 than the 3910.

Listenup.com has new 2900s with full warranty and free shipping for $599.
                                            Not many places have them left, so Id get one soon if you want one.

Good Luck!
                                            ~Nick
                                            ~Nick

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Thanks Nick. I might just take the plunge on the 2900. One question, is ListenUp an authorized Denon dealer? I hear Denon won't honor warranty claims for gear not purchased through an authorized retailer.

Comment

• mtodde
                                                • Jan 2005

Listenup.com is on the list on Denon's website

Every detail of a Denon audio product is crafted with a single goal in mind: to enhance the entertainment experience. Build your home theater here.

And if you will notice they are NOT listed as dealing in B-stock products either. They bought the remaining stock of 2900s when Denon discontinued it.

Comment

• Nick M
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

Dealing with Listenup was great. The only bump was when they eMailed me the tracking number. Someone entered it into their system wrong. Bruce replied immediately with the correct number and apologized. I guess Listenup also has brick&mortar stores in Colorado, so you can call them with any problems. I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat.
                                                  ~Nick

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                    • Nov 2004

Well, I waited a few minutes too long!!

I decided to take the plunge, called up "listenup". They had just sold their last one minutes prior to me calling. So, no more 'new' ones from listenup.com.

So, now there's the used market but their going for $500+shipping!! Too much for 'used' product in comparison to the great deal listenup was doing.

Comment

• mtodde
                                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                                      Well, I waited a few minutes too long!!

I decided to take the plunge, called up "listenup". They had just sold their last one minutes prior to me calling. So, no more 'new' ones from listenup.com.

So, now there's the used market but their going for $500+shipping!! Too much for 'used' product in comparison to the great deal listenup was doing.
                                                      I'm sorry to hear that; I just checked their website and it still has them listed. Now I'm really glad I ordered mine last week; it arrived today and appears to be great.

I noticed some refurb units for sale at a great price on the Mac sites listed on Denon's web site. Some folks shy away from refurbished gear but I have had very good luck with it. I would prefer buying refurb to used in many cases.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                        • Nov 2004

Yeah, but i've noticed the refurbed product isn't at refurbed prices...plus don't forge the fact there's only a 90 day warranty for a refurbed product.

Comment

• mtodde
                                                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                                          Yeah, but i've noticed the refurbed product isn't at refurbed prices...plus don't forge the fact there's only a 90 day warranty for a refurbed product.
                                                          90 days beats buying used with no warranty though. Some refurb dealers, like DAK offer a 1 year warranty.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                            • Nov 2004

True, but I guess the price from listenup for NEW was a much better deal than refurbed. I'm hoping to get 2nd hand and a much discounted price. But these things are going for $500+shipping on ebay!! Too much for 2nd hand in my opinion.

Comment

• Patt
                                                              • Feb 2005

Hi Boe,
                                                              About 4 weeks ago I recieved one of the 2900's from Listenup and am most happy. Just from reading threads on Forums is what helped me decide and I only need a simple one without all the extra connections. GoodLuck
                                                              ......Pat

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                                • Nov 2004

I couldn't believe how high that auction went up!!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                  • Jan 2002

I would suggest it possible that their are still a few 2900's available from some authorized dealers... I'm authorized and my stock page (which updates immediately when stock is distributed) still shows a few remaining units. I can't sell on the Internet though and furthermore can't sell mail order and it still be warrantied. This would definitely indicate to me that Listenup hardly bought out the remaining stock... maybe it was the remaining stock that was to be available to e-tailers only.

There quite possibly may not be anymore 2900's available from authorized e-tailers other than the refurb units... but you might check with your local dealers and see if their rep can get one ordered. Not sure what price you'd pay though... retail is still posted at $1000, although they are obviously allowing a lower MAP since Listenup sold them for the price they did... it just doesn't show on my stock page and I haven't asked my rep about it.

The thing to remember about refurbs is that they are refurbished by Denon... not some warranty repair service company. Denon techs do the refurbishing and test the units... the chances of having a problem with a refurb are probably less than the chances of having a problem with a new unit... not that you'd have a problem with either. You can always purchase an extended warranty through the refurb e-tailer for a fairly reasonable price.

Comment

• mtodde
                                                                    • Jan 2005

Every day I appreciate my 2900 a little more! I bought it for audio & video and it has been a pleasant surprise in both areas. The picture quality over component video to my Hitachi is incredible. This weekend I watched the Superbit version of Underworld and was floored by the black levels.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2004

The point I was trying to make is the fact that listenup had these 'new' for $600, ebay has had them going anywhere from $400-600. So, I'm a bit shocked when I saw how much that one went for. I should be getting mine today, supposedly 'new' in box. Time will tell if it was a wise e-bay purchase.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                        • Jan 2002

Yeah... I just looked at that link from e-bay... $710 does seem kinda high. It probably went for that being the only one left on e-bay for now.

Sam... who was selling it NIB from e-bay?

Looks like most of the refurb e-tailers are out of stock for now. Audiogon has one used for $600 and few others with mods for ridiculous prices.

No doubt this unit is getting scarcer by the day.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004

It was just a private sale, not an e-tailer. I should have some confirmation later today if it really was new or just someone claiming it to be new. I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally purchased from listenup! The gentlemen included the original sales reciept at my request. Seemed legitimate...but ya never know!

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2004
                                                                            • 635

Well, I recieved the 2900!!

It looks to be brand spanking new. And not to my surprise, it was originally purchased from listen up. I need to check the dates as to when they supposedly sold out. But it works, looks & sounds great! And I saved about $25. Not a bad deal!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                              • Jan 2002
                                                                              • 2858

#39
                                                                              Congrats!

Comment

• mtodde
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jan 2005
                                                                                • 66

#40
                                                                                I love mine more & more every day!

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 635

#41
                                                                                  Looks like it was one of the lasts ones sold from listenup...sold about a week before they ran out.

I remember reading in a thread/article about the bass being non-existent in the multi-channel setup. I have similar problems. I need to bring all the channels down -10dB to even be able to hear the sub. I'm wondering if that is due to the frequency they are using for their test tones?!?!

Is there a good demo disc or setup disc for SACD or DVD-A? I prefer calibrating my source via one of those as opposed to the internal test tones.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  😀
                                                                                  😂
                                                                                  🥰
                                                                                  😘
                                                                                  🤢
                                                                                  😎
                                                                                  😞
                                                                                  😡
                                                                                  👍
                                                                                  👎
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"