Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deewan
    • Feb 2009

Deewan's Anthology II (LCR) with Bromo (surround speakers) build thread

Greetings all. I've been out of the DIY speaker kit scene for a bit. My last build was a Statement II custom cabinet build 8 years ago. I recently sold my home and the new owners wanted to purchase all my theater gear and DIY speakers. I find myself with nothing more than a Sonos ARC and Sonos sub to enjoy my music, so I'm starting to piece together a new system. I'll be starting with a modest 5.1 system.

In this thread I hope to document my build process and progress for some semi-unique cabinets as well as keep a running budget tally. With this build I'm going to try to use my former skills and try out a few new skills, all while trying to use tools that any normal handyman would have. While I dream of having a CNC machine to make curved braces, I realize many entering this hobby may not have access to machines like that. So the old down and dirty method is what I'll be using and documenting how I do it along the way. I'll try to keep this first post updated with bookmarks to the rest of the posts of major milestones and references. If someone should happen to want to duplicate all or any of the build steps, this first post should act like a table of contents for the entire build thread.

Choosing a Speaker Design
    For the left and right main speakers I'll be building the Anthology II speakers. My gold standard for DIY speakers which I have either built heard in person have been the Statement II which I built many years ago. After discovering the midrange for the Statement II is no longer available I exchanged a few emails with Jim Holtz. I've exchanged emails with Jim over the years and I cannot say enough nice thins about the guy. I hope to meet him in person some day and buy him 1 (or more) drinks. Jim was very excited about the Anthology II design. I have the kit ordered from Meniscus and the kits should be delivered today. Meniscus is also working on finalizing an Anthology Center Channel speaker. I've spoken to Chad and Mark at Meniscus a few times about that CC design and they hope to have the CC kit available in the next week or two. Once the CC kit is voiced properly and available, I will order that kit as well. I've done a fair amount of comparisons with upgraded crossover components and the only situations I could ever tell a difference was in the resistor quality for the the mid and upper range drivers. With that in mind I opted for the upgrades resistors for the tweeter on the Anthology kit. This is the first time I also decided to pay for the pros at Meniscus to build the crossovers for me. Normally I solider the components together myself using anything from 1/4" plywood to pegboard for a crossover board. I look forward to seeing how the crossovers look. For surround speakers I ordered the Bromo bookshelf speaker kits also from Meniscus.

Build Kit links
    Anthology II - https://meniscusaudio.com/product/an...i-speaker-kit/
    Anthology II Center Channel - Coming Soon!!!
    Bromo bookshelf - https://meniscusaudio.com/product/br...udspeaker-kit/

Note about the kits: I ordered the kits with the crossover boards professional assembled by Meniscus. I also ordered the full kit which comes complete with wire, midrange tunnels, hardware, stuffing, etc

Cabinet Design
    I like to change things a bit with the cabinet. With the Statement II I changed the driver configuration of the woofers hoping it would not have a negative effect on the quality of sound. While I don't recommend it, I think I got away with that change. With the Anthology II cabinets, I want to do something a little different again. I will be keeping the driver layout and distances the same, but I will be doing some curved cabinets. The design is still pending.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by deewan; 27 March 2023, 21:33 Monday.
    The Old Woods Theater
    My Various Speaker Builds
    Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
  • duvixan
    • Sep 2012

Maybe consider Troel's SBA61-NAC​ for surrounds https://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBAcoustics-61-NAC.htm
    Drivers are interchangeable.

Comment

• deewan
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by duvixan
      Maybe consider Troel's SBA61-NAC​ for surrounds https://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBAcoustics-61-NAC.htm
      Drivers are interchangeable.
      Thanks for the input but as I noted above the Bromos are already ordered.. and now delivered.
      The Old Woods Theater
      Statement II Remix build

Comment

• deewan
        • Feb 2009

I was going to do a Sketchup drawing of the cabinet design, but then I remembered I wanted to keep things as low tech as possible. I grabbed some printer paper and a pencil and because drawing out some general shapes for the cabinets. The Anthology towers will be fairly straight forward. Standard depth to keep the midrange tunnels accurate and only the side panels with a slight bend. The base of each tower will have roughly the same front width of the tower and slight bends on the side, but have a wider backside measurement. I think the original cabinet plans call for three internal braces. Since I am doing some bends I am going to use four with the additional brace being behind the tweeter and between the two midrange drivers. Here is the top profile the tower footprint and the base. This is all like the Statement II cabinet build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5821.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	930894

Name:	IMG_5824.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	930896

For the internal braces, I'll take the vertical supports into account. I believe three of the four braces will appears similar to this, but the one behind the tweeter will obviously need to be changes to accommodate for the tweeter on the front baffle.

Name:	IMG_5823.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	930895

I was really hoping to start making saw dust this week, but we will have to wait and see how the week shapes up.
        The Old Woods Theater
        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• DeanP
          • May 2004

"Meniscus is also working on finalizing an Anthology Center Channel speaker." I'm excited to see this being done. My Anthology IIs are outstanding and a CC to match would be wonderful! I was thinking of using the Statement CC as I found a "new in box" Tang Band W4-1337SA, so I could still go down that path if the new CC is too big like the Statement II CC is.

Comment

• deewan
            • Feb 2009

Here is my current cutlist for the towers and bookshelf.
            Attached Files
            The Old Woods Theater
            Statement II Remix build

Comment

• theSven
              Master of None
              • Jan 2014

Has there been any sawdust made, or status update?
              Painter in training

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                • Feb 2015

It looks like Meniscus's link for the anthology II speaker is dead. I couldn't find Jim's typical thread where he presents a new design. Do you know where I can find information on the II design? Maybe the differences/upgrades?

Comment

• theSven
                  Master of None
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Mikerodrig27
                  It looks like Meniscus's link for the anthology II speaker is dead. I couldn't find Jim's typical thread where he presents a new design. Do you know where I can find information on the II design? Maybe the differences/upgrades?
                  I've been moving Jim and Curts designs to the Mission Accomplished area. I'm working to clean up threads, tag, restore photos, and move topics around.

This is the link to the Anthology: https://www.htguide.com/forum/primet...sign#post41485

I found this link over on DIY Audio for the Anthology II https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t...ogy-ii.401386/

Unfortunately nothing has been posted here at HTGuide. Hopefully that will change now this website is under new management and lots of work is being done to restore content as well as having better search features.
                  Painter in training

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by svenarajala

I've been moving Jim and Curts designs to the Mission Accomplished area. I'm working to clean up threads, tag, restore photos, and move topics around.

This is the link to the Anthology: https://www.htguide.com/forum/primet...sign#post41485

I found this link over on DIY Audio for the Anthology II https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t...ogy-ii.401386/

Unfortunately nothing has been posted here at HTGuide. Hopefully that will change now this website is under new management and lots of work is being done to restore content as well as having better search features.
                    I haven't been "ghosting" HT Guide. The official unveiling of the Anthology II's will be in October at the Iowa DIY. Plans and kits were available at Meniscus until it closed. The posts you've seen at DIY Audio and here have been from individuals that have built previous designs Curt and I have been involved in. They will also be able to provide individual feedback about them as time goes on.

Be patient, it's just not introduction time yet.

Jim

Comment

• theSven
                      Master of None
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Jim Holtz

I haven't been "ghosting" HT Guide. The official unveiling of the Anthology II's will be in October at the Iowa DIY. Plans and kits were available at Meniscus until it closed. The posts you've seen at DIY Audio and here have been from individuals that have built previous designs Curt and I have been involved in. They will also be able to provide individual feedback about them as time goes on.

Be patient, it's just not introduction time yet.

Jim
                      I need to create a post here for the Iowa DIY, and if the date works out I would like to attend that meetup! Do you have a link handy for that meetup?

I will be patient to wait for another great design from you and Curt C. I'm very grateful for all the contributions you both have made to DIY and this forum.
                      Painter in training

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Just to set the record straight, Curt is the reason all of our designs sound so good. I'm just the old guy that comes up with ideas and does some of the heavy lifting. :-) Curt is the man with the skills!

So, here is the date and some info about Iowa DIY. I hope you can make it. I't would be great to meet in person.
                        @Bryan@MAC said:
                        October 20/21 -- save the date!
                        Same as prior years -- Ankeny Best Western Premier.
                        I'm waiting for a conference room contract and group rate for the hotel rooms. Considering the insane rate of inflation don't bank on any sort of deep discount. I'd suggest looking at all online discount options (AAA, AARP, etc).
                        I'll confirm a room block and successful conference room contract as soon as we sign.
                        Thanks all. Be back soon with details.
                        There is also a cluster of other motels within a very short walk of the BW, if that is a help to anyone. Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Ankeny, IA is the unlabelled icon just west of Econolodge.

Comment

• Mikerodrig27
                          • Feb 2015

That is going to be a lot of fun. Take lots of pictures and videos!

Comment

• deewan
                            • Feb 2009

Sorry for the no updates to my thread. I haven't started making sawdust or anything. I have brand new McIntosh gear still sealed in boxes waiting for these speakers to be built. Unfortunately life has been busy and I've had not time to build. In fact I'm not sure when I will have a chance to build. I'm tossing around the idea of selling the kits simply to take up less storage space as I have moved twice in the past 8 months and might be moving again in the next 6 months.

So if there is anyone following who wants kits, with all the other bells and whistles included, let me know. Everything has always be safely stored in my temperature controlled home, not even in a musky basement. If nobody wants the kits I hope to start making sawdust next fall. It stinks, but right now I just don't have time to make a proper build for the design or enjoy the speakers.
                            The Old Woods Theater
                            Statement II Remix build

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"