X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

What to do with old receiver?

My 10-year old Onkyo TX-NR3008 decided to stop playing sound last week. It powers on and everything seems to work except the sound. Dr. Goolge tells me one of the chips likely has bad solder joints and a heat gun can fix it temporarily.... But it has been fixed once before for bad hdmi board, and I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a new receiver with some more bells and whistles. Looks like I got my reason. Time to move on. (now if only there weren't chip shortages and garbage.)

So, I've now got a 50+ pound 9 channel receiver that is a paper weight. It seems like such a shame to take it to an electronics recycler. But, I don't have skills beyond basic wiring and I can't find time to finish a basic speaker project I've been working on since early summer. So me modding it is out.

So, is there any demand anywhere for this? I'm not looking for money. Its just when you try and pick it up, it feels so wrong to just simply trash it.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
  • Absinthe
    • Sep 2021

Have you determined if the problem is with the front end of the unit or the main amplifier? I'm not familiar with this receiver so I'm not sure if it has external connections for the pre-amp and amp sections. If the failure is with the main amp section, you could re-purpose the receiver as a pre-amp, but this doesn't give you the added features your looking for so it might not be a good option for you

In my experience, the demand for damaged electronics is very spotty and is determined greatly by the overall demand for the unit itself and the proximity of electronic hobbyist in the area willing to work on the unit. Usually it makes little economic sense to embark on a repair save for prized collectable units as competent repair labor runs about $100-$150 in hour (at least around me) and then there's the issue of parts availability (as you mention) Like you, I haven't the heart to recycle these old units but I now have two Outlaw Audio 100 lb seven channel amps and an Onkyo 80.2 preamp sitting in my repair stack that Ill probably never get to. Give the audio for sale boards a try and advertise it; see if you get any bites. Again, my experience has not been favorable

Comment

• Steve Manning
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
      My 10-year old Onkyo TX-NR3008 decided to stop playing sound last week. It powers on and everything seems to work except the sound. Dr. Goolge tells me one of the chips likely has bad solder joints and a heat gun can fix it temporarily.... But it has been fixed once before for bad hdmi board, and I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a new receiver with some more bells and whistles. Looks like I got my reason. Time to move on. (now if only there weren't chip shortages and garbage.)

So, I've now got a 50+ pound 9 channel receiver that is a paper weight. It seems like such a shame to take it to an electronics recycler. But, I don't have skills beyond basic wiring and I can't find time to finish a basic speaker project I've been working on since early summer. So me modding it is out.

So, is there any demand anywhere for this? I'm not looking for money. Its just when you try and pick it up, it feels so wrong to just simply trash it.
      I was in the same boat with my Onkyo a little while back. Like you I didn't want to do it, but it ended up in the trash and I bought a new Sony.
      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• chrisn
        • Sep 2007

It looks like it has pre-outs for all channels, so use as pre-amp as mentioned above might work. Or just add it to the receiver/electronics pile in the basement so many of us have

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Definitely not worth fixing.

Unfortunately, I was using it as a preamp for my Outlaw amp. But, these fancy new receivers, if the front end processor goes bad, it doesn't even work as a preamp. I did try the the speakers outputs too, nothing. Lots of youtube videos devoted to "Onkyo No Sound", so I didn't feel like it warranted much more investigation. Looks like it will end up on the curb and make one of the scavengers day.

Now for the weird coincident that has me slightly worried. I hooked up a 10+ year old entry level Dennon last night. It has sat unused for a few years. I thought it was the remote acting funky, because the setup button and a few others weren't working. But, it powered up, the volume worked. I plugged in the mic and it ran through the setup. Sounded good on a quick demo. But, then an hour to two later the left channel wasn't working. Whatever, watched a movie with my kid. He didn't really notice. BUT, this afternoon I went to watch a movie. Turned it on and the power button flashed red. Crap. I unhooked that left channel. Nope, still dead. Unhooked every cable, and it still flashed red.

Makes me go hum.... do I have a problem with power or something? Was plugged into ... oh my gosh, probably 15 year old Belkin PureAV Power stip. It is reading 124v, but once upon a time people told me that was normal. But, things are powering on, the tv and everything else seems to be working that's plugged into the outlet. I think it is just an odd coincident of 10+ year old receivers that have been moved from house-to-house, stored for years, and all that.

I got a new Dennon on the way. Maybe I'll buy a new power strip to be safe.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• theSven
            Master of None
            • Jan 2014

I traded my old one in to Emotiva for a deal they had last month. They will recycle the old one for me.
            Painter in training

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"