Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • engr_dave
    • Dec 2005

Outdoor application - high-power sat-sub system

Hi forum... 'beena while since I posted. Currently working on backyard with pool renovation, multi-level deck (about 1500 sqft concrete and 500 sqft ipe hardwood) incl. outdoor kitchen, fire pit, water feature, etc. Interested in building a pair of speakers under a covered patio to "rock the back yard". 'Thinking 8" or 10" MMT or MTM with compression driver + horn/guide. Hoping to keep it simple with active 2-way, either Dayton Audio PPA800DSP or separates like Bryston 10b and some vintage power amps I have lying around (Adcom 555, Sumo Andromeda (2), Parasound 2250). Looking for a smooth hi-fi sound (decent imaging would be nice) but high output when desired.

For sub, I have a ton of room under the deck (or under the patio - maybe as a coffee table?). Perhaps a couple of 15s or 18s in a big vented cab. There will be a TV under the patio - so some movie viewing - but music is more important for this system (we have a dedicated media room). -3dB @ 30hz is probably good enougn, but I'll take 25 . I'd use a big pro amp like Crown K2 for this.

Total budget (not including amplifiers) is $3k max - less is better.

Appreciate any guidance from this esteemed and vaunted forum!

dave
  • Andy_F
    • Aug 2018

Following this! This is pretty much where I'm at with my own outdoor space!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• rick844
      • Jun 2019

Assuming you live in an environment where humidity exists, I think you will be limited to non wood enclosures.

Comment

• engr_dave
        • Dec 2005

Actually Southern Arizona... so not that worried about humidity. It's the sun that destroys things here. I will make sure they never get direct sun.

I have done fiberglass layup enclosures for car audio in the past, so I suppose that is an option... but I think properly finished wood will be fine.

Comment

• engr_dave
          • Dec 2005

How about this? Modula MTs I did in piano black for my son. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	866019

Just kidding. That was a lot of work. Maybe truck bedliner or something... I've never tried that...

Comment

• technodanvan
            • Nov 2009

I hear good things about bedliner though I have not tried it myself.

Are you looking specifically to design your own system, or would something from DIYSoundgroup fit the bill? If it ever has stock again, of course.
            - Danny

Comment

• rick844
              • Jun 2019

Ah, nice. Only worry there would be snakes and nasty spiders building homes inside the ports.

With no humidity, your options are kinda endless.

I made the anthology towers. You can search those on here. I live mine from both a musicality and from a home theater perspective.

Comment

• engr_dave
                • Dec 2005

Danny... I was hoping to find a good design I could build. Thanks for reminding me about DIYSoundgroup. The 1099 looks sort of interesting: not practical to go active, but very affordable. Like you mentioned, everything out of stock. Does anyone know when this will be remedied?

Rick... Yes, I would definitely want to seal the ports with window screen or similar to keep out bugs and critters. I'm sure the Anthologys would be fantastic sounding - and probably play loud enough - but they are big... and need to be away from wall. I live in a decent neighborhood, but I still wouldn't want to leave these sitting around on the patio. I need something I can bolt to the wall or small and light enough that I can take indoors when not in use. That's why I was thinking 8-10" MTM in, maybe 2 cu ft, backed by a big subwoofer bolted in so "not going anywhere"

Comment

• rick844
                  • Jun 2019

Gotcha.

Comment

• rick844
                    • Jun 2019

Maybe the travelers are your best bet then.

Comment

• technodanvan
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by engr_dave
                      Danny... I was hoping to find a good design I could build. Thanks for reminding me about DIYSoundgroup. The 1099 looks sort of interesting: not practical to go active, but very affordable. Like you mentioned, everything out of stock. Does anyone know when this will be remedied?
                      Unfortunately there is little warning once stock comes back. You can try reaching out to the site owner to see if he has an ETA, but other than that, probably watch AVSForum's DIY section since a lot of those guys rely on their products. They are very popular for, I think, pretty obvious reasons. I wouldn't mind trying a set myself someday, especially if I were to create an actual home theater.

They certainly leave plenty of room in your budget for the low end.
                      - Danny

Comment

• engr_dave
                        • Dec 2005

Anyone thoughts on this? https://toidsdiyaudio.com/product/pa...audio-speaker/
                        Not active... and a little bigger than I was hoping for... but looks like a pretty solid design. Or this: https://www.eighteensound.it/media/W...192MS5wZGYiXV0

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"