Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J-Rye
    • Mar 2019

Statement bass response?

I plan to build the Statement II LCR, and I plan to run with 2 or more large subs crossed around 60Hz. Which version of the Statement II (sealed or ported) sounds better in the 60-250Hz range?

The "official" designs from Jim Holtz are all ported - I hate to deviate from that - but I imagine the sealed version sounds better above 60Hz. By "better" I'm referring to transient response in the low/midbass range. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The tradeoff would be that the sealed version won't play full range (I don't need it to), max SPL is slightly reduced, and it will require more power. Am I missing anything else? If the improvement in transient response from the sealed design is insignificant, then I may as well build the full ported version.

I've searched a ton of threads, trying to prevent Jim from having to repeat himself, but all the applications I've seen using sealed Statements were done because of size constraints, not for improved sound quality. Any help you can offer is appreciated
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by J-Rye
    I plan to build the Statement II LCR, and I plan to run with 2 or more large subs crossed around 60Hz. Which version of the Statement II (sealed or ported) sounds better in the 60-250Hz range?

The "official" designs from Jim Holtz are all ported - I hate to deviate from that - but I imagine the sealed version sounds better above 60Hz. By "better" I'm referring to transient response in the low/midbass range. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The tradeoff would be that the sealed version won't play full range (I don't need it to), max SPL is slightly reduced, and it will require more power. Am I missing anything else? If the improvement in transient response from the sealed design is insignificant, then I may as well build the full ported version.

I've searched a ton of threads, trying to prevent Jim from having to repeat himself, but all the applications I've seen using sealed Statements were done because of size constraints, not for improved sound quality. Any help you can offer is appreciated
    No worries on repeating myself. I'm old and repeat myself all the time anyway.

The sealed cabinet version was designed for a friend of mine that is a hard core sealed cabinet fan and wanted to mount the speakers on top of 15" subs. I helped him assemble and set them up so I've had a lot of time over the years to listen to his and to listen to my ported pair. IMHO, I can't hear any difference in the mid and upper bass region on very well recorded music. Both are very clean and tight. He crossed over around 50 - 60 Hz. so it would be similar to what you have in mind. It's also where I rolled my dual 15" subs in too but I ran my ported Statements full range. I only used the subs for home theater where he used subs for music and home theater.

Unless you're cranking to very high volumes and listening to very low electronic, techno, pipe organ etc. the Statements will handle normal music at normal volumes without breaking a sweat. It all depends on how you plan to use them. Super deep loud bass does require subs rolled in and and Statements crossed out to prevent woofer damage.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• J-Rye
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
      No worries on repeating myself. I'm old and repeat myself all the time anyway.

The sealed cabinet version was designed for a friend of mine that is a hard core sealed cabinet fan and wanted to mount the speakers on top of 15" subs. I helped him assemble and set them up so I've had a lot of time over the years to listen to his and to listen to my ported pair. IMHO, I can't hear any difference in the mid and upper bass region on very well recorded music. Both are very clean and tight. He crossed over around 50 - 60 Hz. so it would be similar to what you have in mind. It's also where I rolled my dual 15" subs in too but I ran my ported Statements full range. I only used the subs for home theater where he used subs for music and home theater.

Unless you're cranking to very high volumes and listening to very low electronic, techno, pipe organ etc. the Statements will handle normal music at normal volumes without breaking a sweat. It all depends on how you plan to use them. Super deep loud bass does require subs rolled in and and Statements crossed out to prevent woofer damage.

HTH

Jim
      Thanks Jim. Why is your friend such a big believer in the sealed box? After hearing your ported version for comparison, did that change his mind? Although hard rock and metal are only a small portion of what I listen to, I like having that “kick you in the chest” feel from the drums and guitar. Sounds like both ported and sealed will handle it well

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by J-Rye
        Thanks Jim. Why is your friend such a big believer in the sealed box? After hearing your ported version for comparison, did that change his mind? Although hard rock and metal are only a small portion of what I listen to, I like having that “kick you in the chest” feel from the drums and guitar. Sounds like both ported and sealed will handle it well
        The audio community is filled with opinions and beliefs which aren't really backed up by facts with people on both sides of every issue.

If you really want kick you in the chest bass, subs will do it and sound good if they're low distortion and crossed low. I don't like to use subs above 60 Hz. which is where I "think" bass drivers provide a cleaner more accurate sound. Again, it's just my opinion. :W

Jim

Comment

• FroDaddy
          • Mar 2006

I'm still using the original ported Statements L/R and the 2rcc sealed center channel, with two sealed Statement minis in the rear. I've used a 60Hz crossover on the ported mains for years, and a 80hz crossover for the sealed center channel. I tried the 60hz on the sealed center channel but there wasn't enough response so I kept the 80hz so the sub would handle the rest. But I moved a few years ago and now the home theater is in a smaller room, and I decided to try the 60hz crossover on the center channel a few months ago. It sounds great.

Although the mains and center are different speakers the sealed is tighter and more refined, but the SPL isn't as much as the ported in this range due to the natural rolloff of the sealed cabinet. But that is critical listening, when enjoying a movie and all speakers are kicking, that difference isn't really noticeable. What is noticeable is having the 60hz crossover point on the center channel instead of the 80hz, the 60hz creates a richer front soundstage that sounds great in the smaller room. Again, when I had the home theater in a larger room it didn't do that and I preferred the 80hz crossover on the center channel. It was a "great room" that was around 21x22 or so with one wall open to the kitchen, so basically around 21x40 of airspace. The house I'm in now has more of a "living room," it's smaller with more enclosed airspace and everything just sounds better.

I had designed what I called the 2rcc v2.0, which was a ported version of the 2rcc. It had a larger cabinet width and depth, two front ports flanking the left and right woofers, and tuned to nearly the same frequency as the Statements and had nearly the same modeled bass response. I didn't build it, but it's still in the back of my mind that if I were to move everything into a large room again to mount a flat screen on the wall and then build and place the 2rcc v2.0 it's own dedicated stand. But for the room the I'm in right now, the sealed 2rcc at 60hz definitely sounds great and I have no plans on changing it.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"