X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWaveCarver
    • Apr 2016

First Build - RS180 Modula MT

I'm designing a pair of bookshelf loudspeakers with a friend. My friend has decent experience in woodworking but little in crossover design. Prior to working on this project, has has completed a pair of full range and 3-way speakers (With a pre-manufactured crossover for the 3-way - It did not sound great). While his experience in electronics lack, his craftsmanship skills are above average (So I'm leaving the cabinet entirely to him).

The Cabinet Dimensions He Calculated:
    Port ID: 2 Inches
    Total Volume (Including driver & crossover displacement): 0.519 Feet Cubed
    Total Volume without Displacement: 0.509 Feet Cubed
    Port Length: 5.06 Inches

Click image for larger version

Name:	YijDPVm.png
Views:	462
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	935736

Jon Marsh designed the crossover. After doing copious amounts of research (And dumping more money into this than I probably should have) I decided to go the safe route and implement the crossover from the build here: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...852#post173852 One thing I noticed was our cabinet dimensions differed. Would the cabinet dimensions calculated by my friend be adequate? He used BassBox 6 Pro [High Fidelity Suggestion] for his measurements. If this volume is would 100% sound much much worse, what did we not/forget to consider?

In the image below, I have laid out a rough sketch of the crossover. The crossover is going to be placed at the bottom of the cabinet. Three potential concerns of mine are the following: 1) Will the inductors closer to the driver affect it's behavior? My reasoning was the inductors close to the woofer are set on a different axis than the voice coil inside the woofer... so there should be no issue, correct?
    2) How far apart should resistors be spaced to ensure that heat is dissipated at an appropriate level?
    3) Is it okay if dampening is not placed on the bottom panel (Where the crossover is mounted)? If I needed to shift the crossover to the wall directly behind the woofer, would no padding on the back wall be an issue then?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SQDeiAW.png
Views:	34
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	935737
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 21:09 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"