Efficiency/Sensitivity of Holtz Statement Speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlammert
    • Dec 2007

Efficiency/Sensitivity of Holtz Statement Speakers?

Back in 2009 I built a pair of full-size Statement speakers:
    DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

A couple years ago, I built a set of the Statement Monitors for a friend.

Recently, he and I bought the same brand amplifier (an Emotiva XPA-2).

On the front of this amplifier are blue leds that are suppose to "dance" with the power output of the amp to the speakers.

His XPA-2 dances all over the place powering his Statement Monitors.

My XPA-2 *might* move one led when powering my full-size Statements.

I contacted tech support thinking there might be something wrong with my amplifier. They suggested that the efficiency of the two sets of speakers is different and that mine are more efficient than my friend's and thus do not register as much power requirements (and dancing of leds).

I searched all over and could not find an efficiency/sensitivity rating for any of the Statement speaker versions. Or, maybe I did, and I just don't know what I am looking at.

Does anybody know?

Thanks guys!
  • kevinm
    • Jun 2013

Howdy there,

I own a few of the Emo amps - you can pretty much ignore the LEDs in the front. They're horribly inaccurate to actual input. My XPA-1s sometimes show clip lights when I know there is no way they are clipping. So I reached out to Emo and was told that the LEDs aren't very accurate - especially the earlier generations.

I just turned them off so they don't bug me

Comment

• mlammert
      • Dec 2007

Thanks for the insight, Kevin.

Yes, I love their equipment, but it does seem to have some nuances every once in a while.

Their tech support did not go into that level of detail with me. As you, I have just turned off the metering LEDs as well.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mlammert
        Back in 2009 I built a pair of full-size Statement speakers:
        DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

A couple years ago, I built a set of the Statement Monitors for a friend.

Recently, he and I bought the same brand amplifier (an Emotiva XPA-2).

On the front of this amplifier are blue leds that are suppose to "dance" with the power output of the amp to the speakers.

His XPA-2 dances all over the place powering his Statement Monitors.

My XPA-2 *might* move one led when powering my full-size Statements.

I contacted tech support thinking there might be something wrong with my amplifier. They suggested that the efficiency of the two sets of speakers is different and that mine are more efficient than my friend's and thus do not register as much power requirements (and dancing of leds).

I searched all over and could not find an efficiency/sensitivity rating for any of the Statement speaker versions. Or, maybe I did, and I just don't know what I am looking at.

Does anybody know?

Thanks guys!
        I have an LPA-1 and an XPA-5 and I've never had dancing lights or any indication that their power limits were being reached.

Anyway, here are the approximate sensitivities of the various designs Curt and I have collaborated on;

Statements Monitors - 84 db
        Mini Statements - 87db
        Statements (original & II's) - 88 db
        Finalists - 85 db
        Anthology's - 88 db

Those figures aren't exact but should be close.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• mlammert
          • Dec 2007

Thanks for the confirmation and approximate sensitivities, Jim.

The more and more research I do, the more it appears many Statement builders are also using Emotiva equipment.

Thanks again!

Mark

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"