X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvia0073
    • Feb 2016

Absolute Noob at wood working and am building Jim's Statement IIs

Ok, I've been a long time browser of htguide, just never registered. You guys are an absolute treasure trove of knowledge! I've recently taken the plunge into diy and to start out, as a first ever project, built Jim's TriTrix speakers with the parts express kit. Kit being CNC'd, all the cuts were pretty much perfect so construction was a snap. Being new to wood working (new as in the only thing I've built out of wood from scratch was a simple table made up of 2x4's and a particle board top)... I can't get my cuts perfect... There's about 16th to 32nd of an inch off at one or two corners on some of the boards... by some miracle, some are square. This is done with a circular saw and a self made rip, no table saw. Is this going to be a huge problem come time for assembly? I try to get one board as close to square as I possibly can with my limited tools then rough cut the other pieces of similar dimensions and flush route them to at least get them to be the same dimensions. Here's a photo of what I have cut up so far, all that's left are the tunnels and braces. I know they may look decent in the photo but close inspections with a ruler will say otherwise. I'm not sure how accurate cuts needs to be for speaker cabinets but hopefully with my poor cuts but I hope it'll at least look like a box when I'm done. If there's any words of encouragement and or advice, I would appreciate them. I will continue to update as I progress if anyone's interested. After seeing all the absolutely awesome talent that had already built these speakers on here, I feel very unnecessary to show off my less than poor woodworking skills. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	871987
  • TEK
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Hi
    First of all, thanks for sharing and to contributing to the forum - thats great and useful information and interesting reading usually is the result. At the same time I'm quite sure you will be able to get help resolving issues and problems that may occure when traveling down the often not so straight DIY path :-)

About your question, how square do your cuts habe to be...
    That might depend, but a little bit off can usually be handlet quite well.
    I would say that 1/8 of an inch is borderline, maybe a bit mutch. 1/32 of an inch is normally no problem.
    What you will experience is that you get issues when you try to assemble the box as it does not nessesarly fit that well.
    The more experienced here normally adds a bit of overhang to some edges (like 1/16) and uses a router to shave that off after the box has been glued together. When using that method you can have quite large deviations without getting any problem. When you have to sheets you want to be exactly equal you may use clamps and put them together and then use a router to remove any excess wood.
    I also often apply several sheets together and by doing that in effect cuts out several speaker sides at once.

A good stearingquide for your saw is a importand investment.
    Also, as you see, a router is a invaliable tool when doing this kind of work.

Oh, I forgot that -'if stiff goes wrong, you always have boundo (for outside) and scilicon (for inside)
    -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I agree with TEK.
      My cuts are never dead on. If you look at some of my speakers closely, you'll see some bow or wow in the sides. Usually, clamping down tight can fix things. It will really depend on where you're over and under.

I normally use regular tightbond glue, but if you have some bigger gaps, you can use use a thick glue, like PL Premium Urethane http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_...n-Adhesive.htm it will fill and bridge small gaps. I've also used Bondo on a speaker or two to fix mistakes.

I always oversize my baffle, which is the last piece I glue down and then use a flush trim router bit to trim it up perfectly. Actually, I usually end up flush trimming all sides. My bigger problem usually is clamping square.

You'll figure it out. And the next speaker construction will be better than this one. and so on and so on.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• silvia0073
        • Feb 2016

Thanks guys, I'll update as I go... hopefully there will be something useful for someone a long the way.

Comment

• kevinm
          • Jun 2013

Make sure you follow first-time Statements builder tradition - put together the mid tunnels and glue them in and THEN REMEMBER you need to cut the recess for the tweeters. :W

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

If you have a router and a straight bit with a bearing, clamp the bad pieces onto the square ones and route off the excess.
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• TEK
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by PMazz
              If you have a router and a straight bit with a bearing, clamp the bad pieces onto the square ones and route off the excess.
              And if you don't have one, you should probably go get one. Invaluable tool for DIY work.
              -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by silvia0073
                Thanks guys, I'll update as I go... hopefully there will be something useful for someone a long the way.
                Welcome to the Statements family! I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do mine. It looks like everyone has given you great advice regarding building your cabinets. That's not my greatest strength so I'm glad others jumped in with answers.

I do need to clarify that in spite of you and others giving me all the credit for the Statements/Finalists/Anthology's, they have all been a collaboration between the real brains, Curt Campbell and myself with our good friend Wayne Wendall jumping in to help with voicing. They get all the credit for how these speakers sound. If it weren't for Curt, I'd just own empty cabinets with drivers piled around them. ;x(

We're looking forward to following your build!

Jim

Comment

• silvia0073
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by kevinm
                  Make sure you follow first-time Statements builder tradition - put together the mid tunnels and glue them in and THEN REMEMBER you need to cut the recess for the tweeters. :W
                  Hey!! Don't jinx me! lol. Anyway, Yes, I have a router and a proper bit... the hard part is getting a square piece to begin with. I've started assembling, things seems to be going ok. Here are the photos so far. With 3 kids, wife, and work scratching at my heels for time, I can only put so many hours a day into this. Plus I'm over my budget and need more clamps so it's going to be slow going. I've decided on going with a PCB setup for the crossover. Will post photos of that process also, just going ghetto with a laser printer and home etching. First time working with etching PCB as well so if that fails miserably, I'll just go with wood and hot glue like everyone else.

Images not available
                  Last edited by theSven; 28 July 2023, 22:40 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• silvia0073
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    Welcome to the Statements family! I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do mine. It looks like everyone has given you great advice regarding building your cabinets. That's not my greatest strength so I'm glad others jumped in with answers.

I do need to clarify that in spite of you and others giving me all the credit for the Statements/Finalists/Anthology's, they have all been a collaboration between the real brains, Curt Campbell and myself with our good friend Wayne Wendall jumping in to help with voicing. They get all the credit for how these speakers sound. If it weren't for Curt, I'd just own empty cabinets with drivers piled around them. ;x(

We're looking forward to following your build!

Jim
                    Yes, can't forget about Curt and Wayne, Thanks guys! Can't wait to get everything together!

Comment

• silvia0073
                      • Feb 2016

I have a question, I've searched but couldn't find a definitive answer. I'll be using Corning's 703 fiberglass board to line the cabinet walls. I've read that it may blow out the port and have fiberglass fibers fly all over my room. Some say it'll be fine. Should I cover it with speaker grill cloth or just spray that sucker and stick it on?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

That isn't a question I can answer. Anyone?

Jim

Comment

• PMazz
                          • May 2001

703 is a semi rigid fiberglass. I've used it for years and never had an issue. If you're worried, give it a top coat of some spray adhesive. That will bind any loose material that may be there.
                          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• silvia0073
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by PMazz
                            703 is a semi rigid fiberglass. I've used it for years and never had an issue. If you're worried, give it a top coat of some spray adhesive. That will bind any loose material that may be there.
                            Thanks PMazz, I'll not worry about it.

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

I've used OC703 in speakers. There is no way 703 is going to blow out. It is rigid and glued together pretty well. Only possible scenario is if you have a cut edge with a flappy piece barely hanging on.

I've used regular R13 in speakers. I have it in my sub. Even that doesn't blow out the port. If people are getting insulation blowing out of their port, they must be putting some small loose pieces directly in front of the port. Keep the insulation held back from the port so as to not obstruct it.

OC703 will give react differently than the foam Jim used in his. You may have to experiment a little to get it to sound perfect. Especially with the mid tunnels. In fact, I would duplicate Jim's mid tunnels as much as possible, including how far he holds the foam back and the angle it is cut at. Use the 703 for the woofers.
                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• silvia0073
                                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by ---k---
                                I've used OC703 in speakers. There is no way 703 is going to blow out. It is rigid and glued together pretty well. Only possible scenario is if you have a cut edge with a flappy piece barely hanging on.

I've used regular R13 in speakers. I have it in my sub. Even that doesn't blow out the port. If people are getting insulation blowing out of their port, they must be putting some small loose pieces directly in front of the port. Keep the insulation held back from the port so as to not obstruct it.

OC703 will give react differently than the foam Jim used in his. You may have to experiment a little to get it to sound perfect. Especially with the mid tunnels. In fact, I would duplicate Jim's mid tunnels as much as possible, including how far he holds the foam back and the angle it is cut at. Use the 703 for the woofers.
                                On Jim's site, he recommend OC703 for the woofers but yes, for the mid tunnels, I'm going with what he recommended. Thanks for reassuring me about the 703 blow out issue.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

On Jim's site, he recommend OC703 for the woofers but yes, for the mid tunnels, I'm going with what he recommended. Thanks for reassuring me about the 703 blow out issue.
                                  If the Jim you're referring to is me, I don't have a website. Curt does. :W

To clarify, I have used OC703 on a friends Statements in the woofer compartment only. I've never used it in a ported design. Definitely don't use it in the mid tunnels.

Just an FYI, if you buy the kit from Meniscus, it comes with everything you need to build them except for the cabinet.

Jim

Jim

Comment

• silvia0073
                                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                    If the Jim you're referring to is me, I don't have a website. Curt does. :W

To clarify, I have used OC703 on a friends Statements in the woofer compartment only. I've never used it in a ported design. Definitely don't use it in the mid tunnels.

Just an FYI, if you buy the kit from Meniscus, it comes with everything you need to build them except for the cabinet.

Jim

Jim
                                    You're right, Curts website, my bad. I kinda sourced the parts my self on Meniscus and parts express so that I get the components I want. I do plan on OC703 only in the woofer compartment. Like you said Jim, probably not the best idea to have it in the tunnels so they will not be going in there.

Comment

• bostonmurf
                                      • Jul 2014

Hi silvia0073! your going to LOVE your statements! i just paired mine up with an emotiva amp. this giants were made to be played loud! amazingly good. Post more pics please, we all love pics. And don't wait a year to do the finish/paint. I'm just about to get mine painted next month, about 2 years after the build. looking forward to seeing them progress

Comment

• silvia0073
                                        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by bostonmurf
                                        Hi silvia0073! your going to LOVE your statements! i just paired mine up with an emotiva amp. this giants were made to be played loud! amazingly good. Post more pics please, we all love pics. And don't wait a year to do the finish/paint. I'm just about to get mine painted next month, about 2 years after the build. looking forward to seeing them progress
                                        I also will pair it up with a emotiva amp. It's actually going to be with my PC speakers lol... I have a modified Xonar Essence STX as the source to the emotiva amp. I currently have unfinished tritrix's and want to upgrade. Here's are photos of my modded sound card should anyone be interested. There's also a photo of my PC, you'll see the tritrix on the right. I'm going to have to pull everything away from the wall with the statements.

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	861236Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	861237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	861238

Comment

• silvia0073
                                          • Feb 2016

A little update, working on the tunnels. Made a little fence that worked perfect with my router for the tweeter heatsink cutouts.

Dont' know why one of the photos is upside down...

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	861244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	861245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	861246

Comment

• silvia0073
                                            • Feb 2016

Question, when wiring the drivers in the cabinet, do you guys use the same length of wire for the drivers or because it's so short, it doesn't matter?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Question, when wiring the drivers in the cabinet, do you guys use the same length of wire for the drivers or because it's so short, it doesn't matter?
                                              It doesn't make any difference, IMHO and I've never concerned myself about length inside the cabinet. I do match speaker cable lengths from amp to speakers.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                • Feb 2016

Updates,

Towers are almost done, working on crossovers. Got one finished. Need to do the other one.

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	861258Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	861259

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                  • Feb 2016

Was going to do a printed PCB but it didn't turn out too well...

Comment

• kevinm
                                                    • Jun 2013

Looking good!

Are you planning on finishing them before you start listening?

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by kevinm
                                                      Looking good!

Are you planning on finishing them before you start listening?
                                                      Yes actually, probably won't finish till April or May, still deciding on what kind of finish I want. Besides, if I spend any more money on this project right now, my wife will probably kill me. lol.

Comment

• jwanck11
                                                        • Jan 2016

They look great! I am finishing up my center today and have barely started on the mains... just have the tunnels built.

Question for you on the order of assembly - what was your order of assembly?? :-)

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by jwanck11
                                                          They look great! I am finishing up my center today and have barely started on the mains... just have the tunnels built.

Question for you on the order of assembly - what was your order of assembly?? :-)
                                                          It was all gut feeling actually lol. I started with the back, didn't cut the square holes (drilled a hole to fit my trim bit and routed them once the tunnels are glued in), I glued on the top cover, bottom cover, braces, and then one of the sides. Built the tunnels then lined them up on the half constructed cabinet. Once that's nice and dry, I put on the other side panel. Sand everything smooth. I'm probably going to install the crossovers then insulation. Run wiring then cut the front baffle for the drivers. Install the front baffle and lastly, drivers. Hope to be done by this weekend. If I do complete construction, it took me 2 weeks to build... not including finishing. Not bad, but I stayed up late, almost to 3 am every day just taking my time and working it. Too excited to sleep anyway .

Comment

• Srixon
                                                            • Feb 2016

What are the notches in the back of the tunnels for?

Comment

• Alaric
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

Made a little fence that worked perfect with my router for the tweeter heatsink cutouts.
                                                              What he said.
                                                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                              Schiit Modi 3
                                                              Marantz CD5005
                                                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Srixon
                                                                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                                What he said.
                                                                If I buy a kit, is this the sort of detail that I can expect in the plans?

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Srixon
                                                                  Curts website details the construction pretty precisely.

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2016

Crazy how much time these thing's took to put together... pretty close to mirror finish. This is actually the 3rd attempt. 1st was printed PCB which did not go too well. 2nd attempt, the holes I drilled didn't match up nicely, and this time, I'm finally satisfied.

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	861262

Comment

• bostonmurf
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2014

wow! really nice professional looking work! especially the crossovers.

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2016

Thanks bostonmurf. Crazy how much work went into those.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 4143

That's a good question. Since building cabinets myself isn't a possibility , I was looking here https://melbyaudio.com/products/stat...lat-pack-kit-1 and I don't know if they do it either.
                                                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                                                          Marantz CD5005
                                                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2016
                                                                            • 29

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                                            That's a good question. Since building cabinets myself isn't a possibility , I was looking here https://melbyaudio.com/products/stat...lat-pack-kit-1 and I don't know if they do it either.
                                                                            Well Hot Damn... if I had to do it all over again, I'd go that route, maybe, just buy and assemble myself... All the tools I used on my Statements, I purchased new just for the project. Router, drills, drivers, clamps... etc all came out well beyond $500, but I must say, the experience was priceless... Those guys are just a few hours from my place and being CNC cut... can you say perfection? LoL, I'm tempted just because it's CNC'd. If any of my friends want statements, I'll go that route.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 1891

#39
                                                                              Well Hot Damn... if I had to do it all over again, I'd go that route, maybe, just buy and assemble myself... All the tools I used on my Statements, I purchased new just for the project. Router, drills, drivers, clamps... etc all came out well beyond $500, but I must say, the experience was priceless... Those guys are just a few hours from my place and being CNC cut... can you say perfection? LoL, I'm tempted just because it's CNC'd. If any of my friends want statements, I'll go that route.
                                                                              Ah, but now you have tools for the next project ...... and I've found, as others have, cnc is not always perfect! It can save a bunch of time though if all goes well.
                                                                              Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Srixon
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Feb 2016
                                                                                • 40

#40

Half the fun of a new project is justifying new tools. :W

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2002
                                                                                  • 1670

#41
                                                                                  Half the fun of a new project is justifying new tools. :W
                                                                                  +1 on that :-)
                                                                                  -TEK

Comment

• bostonmurf
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2014
                                                                                    • 170

#42
                                                                                    same here TEK. although i can see the massive benefit of getting everything cut i really enjoyed the whole process - even when the router slipped and i had to redo a front panel! i guess at the end I'm glad i built/cut them and now i have a bigger garage theres not a lot i won't take on with the skills i learned. MDF dust sucks though...

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2016
                                                                                      • 29

#43
                                                                                      You guys are right, the experience/skills are invaluable. I've learned so much through the process it's crazy. Anyway, here's another update. Almost done!!! Painted the front baffle only as I won't be able to finish the cabinet till spring. Hopefully it'll be rock'n Saturday or Sunday.

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	861282

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3223

#44
                                                                                        Looks great! :T

Jim

Comment

• silvia0073
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2016
                                                                                          • 29

#45
                                                                                          Done!!! Now for the burn in, already it sounds fantastic. When hooked up to my Yammy RX-V2095... ehhh, sounds ok. Played for about an hour and it's now in my PC room and hooked up, kinda messy so I'll take photos later but here's one of them hooked up to the yamaha. They sound pretty darn awesome on my pc with flac files. Can't wait for them to be properly broken in... all I have to say is wow, the vocals are simply amazing!!! This build has been no where near perfect but as I listen to them, all the imperfections melt away and I love them more and more with each minute. Thanks again for an awesome design Curt, Jim, and Wayne!

Name:	1802.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	946377
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 28 July 2023, 22:42 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"