Statement II - The Remix

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deewan
    • Feb 2009

For those interested in what differences I may have introduced to the Statement II design with my cabinet changes, Jim and I have scheduled a listening session for July 25th. I'll post my thoughts and opinions of the differences here on the thread shortly there after... and I'm sure Jim will as well.
    The Old Woods Theater
    My Various Speaker Builds
    Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by deewan
      For those interested in what differences I may have introduced to the Statement II design with my cabinet changes, Jim and I have scheduled a listening session for July 25th. I'll post my thoughts and opinions of the differences here on the thread shortly there after... and I'm sure Jim will as well.
      Yep! :T

Jim

Comment

• deewan
        • Feb 2009

At this point, Jim and I have been unable to compare the Remix version to the his Statement II’s. We still hope to get that done before fall turns into winter. Until that time, you’ll have to take my words as to the Statement II’s (remix) sound.

It’s been several years and a full theater room remodel since I’ve heard the original Statements. But I remember the excitement I had while listening to particular tracks. Those tracks were some of the first sounds the Statement II Remix played after being broken in. During my listening session I fed the Statement II Remix speakers with my Emotiva XPR-2 (roughly 1000 watts per channel). Music was feed from my Marantz CD-5002 CD player through the Emotiva XMC-1. This is all new equipment from the last time I heard my original Statements.

From what I could tell, the Statement II Remix lack for nothing. The bass is just as tight and powerful as what I remember. Even with the smaller cabinet volume the Dayton woofers pump out low, undistorted bass. I’m always shocked at the amount of bass and the quality of sound these drivers output for the price. The highs covered by the ribbon tweeter are exactly what I think a value priced tweeter should sound like. By value priced ribbon tweeter, I mean a tweeter that doesn’t break the bank, but doesn’t have drawbacks based on it’s price.

The only difference I can remember from the full Statements to the Statement II Remix are the mids, obviously since they are a difference driver. As Jim has stated before, the Vifa midrange is an upgrade when listening to music. I couldn’t agree more. The Vifa drivers have a nice solid midrange sound that fits well with the Statement sound. They are full, but not forceful. When listening to movies, the Vifa drivers do lack some of the metal sound the original Tang Band drivers delivered. I’m sure it’s attributed to the difference in metal and paper cones. I want to be clear, the Vifa drivers do a very good job with movies, they just don’t have the harsh metal sound that I sometimes prefer with movie soundtrack effects.

On my scorecard the Vifa’s sound so much better for music that the small decrease in movie audio is completely acceptable. If I were building a set of Statements only for movies, I’d stick with the Tang Band metal midrange drivers. But if you listen to music at all with your system do yourself a favor and build the Statement II’s. I think Jim and Curt did a solid job by offering the Vifa midrange design. I know I’m very happy I choose the Statement II drivers.

So now some opinions about my design with the different driver layout. Without doing actual side by side comparison, I can only tell you how the Statement Remix measure up against my expectations of a high end speakers. I don’t think the change in cabinet size or driver layout impacted the sound. The stereo imagining is as good as I have ever heard. The bass is full and robust. Not until you get into the mid 20’s and below do my speakers start to decrease in quality sound. So while there might be some sound differences if you compare the Statement II’s side-by-side with the Statement II Remix, you won’t notice anything but amazing sound from the Remix design.

One last thing…. As I told Jim. Years ago I changed away from the Statements because my wife was not happy with their size. To may her happy I changed to a slimmer and smaller design. Now with the Statement II Remix, my wife said she likes both their size and their sound. This coming from someone who normally says she can’t tell a difference in sound from TV speakers and stereo speakers. So if she likes them….. I can’t give any better of a review.
        The Old Woods Theater
        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

At this point, Jim and I have been unable to compare the Remix version to the his Statement II’s. We still hope to get that done before fall turns into winter. Until that time, you’ll have to take my words as to the Statement II’s (remix) sound.

It’s been several years and a full theater room remodel since I’ve heard the original Statements. But I remember the excitement I had while listening to particular tracks. Those tracks were some of the first sounds the Statement II Remix played after being broken in. During my listening session I fed the Statement II Remix speakers with my Emotiva XPR-2 (roughly 1000 watts per channel). Music was feed from my Marantz CD-5002 CD player through the Emotiva XMC-1. This is all new equipment from the last time I heard my original Statements.

From what I could tell, the Statement II Remix lack for nothing. The bass is just as tight and powerful as what I remember. Even with the smaller cabinet volume the Dayton woofers pump out low, undistorted bass. I’m always shocked at the amount of bass and the quality of sound these drivers output for the price. The highs covered by the ribbon tweeter are exactly what I think a value priced tweeter should sound like. By value priced ribbon tweeter, I mean a tweeter that doesn’t break the bank, but doesn’t have drawbacks based on it’s price.

The only difference I can remember from the full Statements to the Statement II Remix are the mids, obviously since they are a difference driver. As Jim has stated before, the Vifa midrange is an upgrade when listening to music. I couldn’t agree more. The Vifa drivers have a nice solid midrange sound that fits well with the Statement sound. They are full, but not forceful. When listening to movies, the Vifa drivers do lack some of the metal sound the original Tang Band drivers delivered. I’m sure it’s attributed to the difference in metal and paper cones. I want to be clear, the Vifa drivers do a very good job with movies, they just don’t have the harsh metal sound that I sometimes prefer with movie soundtrack effects.

On my scorecard the Vifa’s sound so much better for music that the small decrease in movie audio is completely acceptable. If I were building a set of Statements only for movies, I’d stick with the Tang Band metal midrange drivers. But if you listen to music at all with your system do yourself a favor and build the Statement II’s. I think Jim and Curt did a solid job by offering the Vifa midrange design. I know I’m very happy I choose the Statement II drivers.

So now some opinions about my design with the different driver layout. Without doing actual side by side comparison, I can only tell you how the Statement Remix measure up against my expectations of a high end speakers. I don’t think the change in cabinet size or driver layout impacted the sound. The stereo imagining is as good as I have ever heard. The bass is full and robust. Not until you get into the mid 20’s and below do my speakers start to decrease in quality sound. So while there might be some sound differences if you compare the Statement II’s side-by-side with the Statement II Remix, you won’t notice anything but amazing sound from the Remix design.

One last thing…. As I told Jim. Years ago I changed away from the Statements because my wife was not happy with their size. To may her happy I changed to a slimmer and smaller design. Now with the Statement II Remix, my wife said she likes both their size and their sound. This coming from someone who normally says she can’t tell a difference in sound from TV speakers and stereo speakers. So if she likes them….. I can’t give any better of a review.
          Great feedback! Thank you Darren! :T

Jim

Comment

• rvsixer
            • Sep 2008

...has fall turned to winter? Hope you are able to do a comparison before then.

Comment

• savage25xtreme
              • Dec 2008

Deewan,

Looks like these were built as MiniStatement II, but I cannot seem to find information on them? Is this a published design or did you roll your own? Working on speaker selection for a friends new HT/Music room in a house that just got finished.

Thanks for any info!
              Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• deewan
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
                Deewan,

Looks like these were built as MiniStatement II, but I cannot seem to find information on them? Is this a published design or did you roll your own? Working on speaker selection for a friends new HT/Music room in a house that just got finished.

Thanks for any info!
                This is a full Statement II design, with a cabinet I designed. I think most of the information you are looking for is in the first post of this thread.
                The Old Woods Theater
                Statement II Remix build

Comment

• savage25xtreme
                  • Dec 2008

So there were no crossover network changes for decreasing baffle width and moving the woofer down?
                  Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• deewan
                    • Feb 2009

There were not. All changes were discussed with Curt and Jim and we decided none of the changes would be a deal breaker. To my ears, I hear no significant changes to the sound with the changed cabinets. I'm not saying there are none, but I am very pleased with the sound and until we can do side-by-side comparison with Jim's, I would wager my cabinet changes didn't impact the sound in a negative way.
                    The Old Woods Theater
                    Statement II Remix build

Comment

• DocT
                      • Jan 2016

I apologize for dredging this up. But your thread leaves a few unanswered questions, and its not that old anyway.

I'm about to build a statement II center, wanting a little more challenge, my mind started ticking towards the concept of a curved cabinet. Lo and behold, you've already done it!

Can I take it extending the depth of the cabinet allowed you to make up for the curve's impact upon the midrange compartment volume. Am I correct in the assumption that a slight increase in depth doesn't change the qualities of the rs180, and is perfectly acceptable?

The bigger issue is that I cannot fathom how you managed to generate two separate curves - one on the top, and one on the side, and managed to get them to fit together perfectly! Could you possibly offer a little insight? I wouldn't think you could just make it the same shape as the braces, as the length would decrease as you curve it, and they wouldn't match.

I'd like to create a Statement II center with curves on both the sides, and along the top, very similar to this. I just can't conceive of how to actually accomplish that. I'm very impressed good sir.

Comment

• deewan
                        • Feb 2009

Hey DocT. I hope these are the answers to most of your questions.

Originally posted by DocT
                        Can I take it extending the depth of the cabinet allowed you to make up for the curve's impact upon the midrange compartment volume. Am I correct in the assumption that a slight increase in depth doesn't change the qualities of the rs180, and is perfectly acceptable?
                        As I noted in post #23, driver spacing did not change from the original Statement II specs and the small amount of added depth to the CC only impacted the woofer internal volume. The small change for internal volume did not require a crossover change.

Originally posted by DocT
                        The bigger issue is that I cannot fathom how you managed to generate two separate curves - one on the top, and one on the side, and managed to get them to fit together perfectly! Could you possibly offer a little insight? I wouldn't think you could just make it the same shape as the braces, as the length would decrease as you curve it, and they wouldn't match.

I'd like to create a Statement II center with curves on both the sides, and along the top, very similar to this. I just can't conceive of how to actually accomplish that. I'm very impressed good sir.
                        Post #26 is the best shot of how I created the dual curves. It was really quite easy. Since I was using 5mm underlayment boards, I was able to measure and cut each layer/board to roughly the exact same size. With the front baffle acting as a starting guard, I installed each layer following the curves of the braces and butter side panels. Once all the layers were installed and dried, I used a router and curved the back edge with a rounder bit, which eliminated all small differences of the boards.

Hope these further details help. Good luck with your build.
                        The Old Woods Theater
                        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• DML9
                          • Apr 2017

I have been devouring your tread for several hours and thoroughly enjoy your end product. But, dang! We are kept in the air about the final test! Did you and Jim ever get together to test the Statement II in the Anthology cabinet? I am seriously thinking of building these (without the curves) instead of the "normal" Statement II for my main speakers. Thanks for your tread as I am sure it will help me. Mike

Comment

• deewan
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DML9
                            I have been devouring your tread for several hours and thoroughly enjoy your end product. But, dang! We are kept in the air about the final test! Did you and Jim ever get together to test the Statement II in the Anthology cabinet? I am seriously thinking of building these (without the curves) instead of the "normal" Statement II for my main speakers. Thanks for your tread as I am sure it will help me. Mike
                            As of today, we have not been able to do an A/B comparison. I'm still hoping to schedule some time to compare the two cabinets this summer during a golfing trip over in his area.

To my ears and listening memory, I couldn't tell a difference between the two cabinet designs. But my ears and listening memory isn't perfect. ops:
                            The Old Woods Theater
                            Statement II Remix build

Comment

• deewan
                              • Feb 2009

The Statement II speakers have been sold!
                              Last edited by deewan; 20 October 2017, 23:56 Friday.
                              The Old Woods Theater
                              Statement II Remix build

Comment

• kernel8888
                                • Jan 2018

Sorry to post on older thread, but figured I could get an answer here.

If I wanted to shorten the height of these, does it make a difference to change the driver configuration to mtmww vs wmtmw?

Id prefer to keep them as wmtmw but shorten them to about 48"-50"

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• deewan
                                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by kernel8888
                                  Sorry to post on older thread, but figured I could get an answer here.

If I wanted to shorten the height of these, does it make a difference to change the driver configuration to mtmww vs wmtmw?

Id prefer to keep them as wmtmw but shorten them to about 48"-50"

Thanks in advance!
                                  The reason the original design has the cabinet size and driver layout of WMTMW is to achieve the proper cabinet volume for tuning and to place the tweeter at ear level. When I changed the cabinet height I was unable to keep the tweeter at ear level with the same driver layout. When I moved one woofer to the bottom for a MTMWW design that allowed me to keep the tweeter at ear level and not compromise the midrange and tweeter interaction.

My opinion, changing cabinet size and lowering the tweeter to achieve the shorter cabinet will have negative effects on the design and performance.
                                  The Old Woods Theater
                                  Statement II Remix build

Comment

• kernel8888
                                    • Jan 2018

Thanks for the reply!

Is that mainly because of the tweeter height being lowered, or because of the cabinet volume, or the combination of the lower cabinet volume and speaker configuration?

Comment

• deewan
                                      • Feb 2009

Mostly because of the tweeter height. The change in cabinet volume can be adjusted for with port length. I think I noted somewhere in this build thread the port length I ended with.
                                      The Old Woods Theater
                                      Statement II Remix build

Comment

• kernel8888
                                        • Jan 2018

couldn't find it with a search, but that helps! Thanks for your reply!

Comment

• deewan
                                          • Feb 2009

It's been a looooooong time since I posted. I stepped away from DIY speakers for a bit due to be satisfied with my home theater setup. But a life change and sale of my house along with all my theater gear has left me looking back at DIY speakers again. And I've longed for quite some time for that Statement II sound.

It appears the midrange for the Statement II are no longer available. Does anyone following this thread know if that is true or if there is a replacement for the midrange or plans for another production run of the midrange? I'd love to build another version of these speakers, along with the center channel and something for some side and rear surrounds.
                                          The Old Woods Theater
                                          Statement II Remix build

Comment

• duvixan
                                            • Sep 2012

There are still some NE123W here and there on some european sites.
                                            soundimports.eu
                                            audiostatus.lt
                                            masori.de

Comment

• 1Michael
                                              • Sep 2006

You will probably want to contact Curt or Jim.
                                              Michael
                                              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• technodanvan
                                                • Nov 2009

Oh man, is that why Meniscus doesn't handle the kits anymore? Bummer...
                                                - Danny

Comment

• tktran
                                                  • Jan 2005

Those NE123W are probably lurking around if you look hard enough..Jim Holtz has an Anthology 2 coming with twin RS225, twin SB15CAC, and SB26CAC.. (WWMTM)

Comment

• deewan
                                                    • Feb 2009

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll take a look at all my options and decide what I will build... with a build thread following shorting after.
                                                    The Old Woods Theater
                                                    Statement II Remix build

Comment

• DeanP
                                                      • May 2004

Originally posted by tktran
                                                      Those NE123W are probably lurking around if you look hard enough..Jim Holtz has an Anthology 2 coming with twin RS225, twin SB15CAC, and SB26CAC.. (WWMTM)
                                                      I'm in the process of building these but I can't reveal it (the design, xover) to the general pop yet. Cabinet is the same. Drivers are different, mid and tweet only.

Comment

• deewan
                                                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DeanP

I'm in the process of building these but I can't reveal it (the design, xover) to the general pop yet. Cabinet is the same. Drivers are different, mid and tweet only.
                                                        I have the wood purchased and on hand, custom tower cabinet design nearly finalized and the Anthology kits orders from Meniscus. I will be using Anthology II towers for my left and right, a soon to be released CC Anthology 2 kit for the center and a pair of Bromo bookshelf speakers for the rear surrounds to make a nice 5.1 surround system for the living room.

Custom cabinet Anthology 2 and Bromo build threads coming soon.
                                                        The Old Woods Theater
                                                        Statement II Remix build

Comment

• DeanP
                                                          • May 2004

a soon to be released CC Anthology 2 kit for the center
                                                          I'll be looking fwd to this! I haven't heard about a center ch being designed.

Comment

• theSven
                                                            theSven commented
                                                            Editing a comment
                                                            I'm in that boat too. I have not heard about a new center channel and it's great to see new CC designs being shared.
                                                        • duvixan
                                                          • Sep 2012

Any possible hints for when the Anthology 2 will be released?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

Meniscus has the info and can help you out with the design of the Anthology II's.

However, we don't have a dedicated center channel on the design schedule that I'm aware of. I'm traveling on a winter get away and haven't had any discussions with Curt about it. My recommendation is the Statements II center but you'll have to search for the NE123 mids.It's a great match though!

Jim

Comment

• duvixan
                                                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                                                              Meniscus has the info and can help you out with the design of the Anthology II's.

However, we don't have a dedicated center channel on the design schedule that I'm aware of. I'm traveling on a winter get away and haven't had any discussions with Curt about it. My recommendation is the Statements II center but you'll have to search for the NE123 mids.It's a great match though!

Jim
                                                              Oh, it's already available!
                                                              Is this a closed design? Or is the crossover the same?
                                                              Any insights on sounds differences vs Statement IIs ?

Comment

• DeanP
                                                                • May 2004

Originally posted by duvixan

Oh, it's already available!
                                                                Is this a closed design? Or is the crossover the same?
                                                                Any insights on sounds differences vs Statement IIs ?
                                                                The kit is available at Meniscus. It's the same cabinet as the original but with different mids and tweeter. I just finished mine up and they're fantastic!

Comment

• duvixan
                                                                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DeanP

I just finished mine up and they're fantastic!
                                                                  Please post some pics!

Comment

Working...
                                                                  😀
                                                                  😂
                                                                  🥰
                                                                  😘
                                                                  🤢
                                                                  😎
                                                                  😞
                                                                  😡
                                                                  👍
                                                                  👎
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"