Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penngray
    • Sep 2007

SoundEasy Dummies guide available??

Is there any links that will show me the step by step of getting SoundEasy up and running?

Something with the following....
    1. Set Mic calibration
    2. Do soundcard calibration
    3. Simple 2 way measurement and XO examples.

It would help me get running a lot quicker with SoundEasy. I was going to measure an older TC2000 woofer (Im selling it and I need the T/S parameters) with it today but nothing is intuitive at this point.
  • brent_s
    • Jun 2006

I think I've seen links to some free guides online (linked from Techtalk maybe?), but Zaph links to this guide in his on SE setup description.

-Brent

Comment

• ttan98
      • Mar 2007

soundeasy guide from J.K. Go to this site:

musicanddesign.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, musicanddesign.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

See top left hand corner. I have the earlier version. Quite good, helped me when I was learning about speaker design and using this s/w package. Recommended.

Comment

• jkrutke
        • Dec 2005

John Kreskovsky's tutorial is well worth the $11.

Also you might check out http://chadgray.info/soundeasy/.
        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• penngray
          • Sep 2007

I did purchase John K's tutorial!! Thanks, Its helped me get the calibration files created but now I can not figure out why my measurement of a new CD (TAD 1402) looks strange.

Sound Easy measurement.

vs ARTA measurement

What did I do wrong??

Comment

• sdl2112
            • Mar 2006

Check your probe set-up. You should see a "reference" and "input" impulse. I don't see an "input". The blue is the reference, I believe you are just picking up noise for the input judging by the 100db added to the input. The bar graph should also show some level.

Comment

• penngray
              • Sep 2007

Yes, i added dB to just see the SPL plot.

What do you mean by "Probe setup"? Im getting an IR plot when I run MLS and my measurements setup (ECM8000 + m-audio mobilepre) is working because ARTA and HOLM have zero issues.

back to reading more of the tutorial. I think I understand what you are saying about the "In" levels but Im not sure how to increase them. I remember in the calibration setup I had to increase them and I had them set properly. I have not changed anything since then so Im definitely confused.

Thanks!

Comment

• sdl2112
                • Mar 2006

Your set-up should be as shown below:

Left-in is the reference and right-in is the input.

Here is a screen capture from the manual to show how it should look.
                Attached Files

Comment

• penngray
                  • Sep 2007

Thanks, I did wondered about that right input. I know during loop back everything worked out nicely since both left and right inputs had been connected.

With HOLM, ARTA, etc I only need the Left output going to my amp and Left input connected to my Mic ( the mobilepre soundcard has phantom power). Clean and Easy.

Im definitely still confused on what to connect to the right input for measuring a driver. I could connect the mic to the right input instead and leave the Left input disconnected??

I might just run HOLM, save the data, import it into SoundEasy and not worry about SoundEasy requiring "special" connections.

Comment

• penngray
                    • Sep 2007

haha, So SoundEasy is looking at the right Channel for the mic measurements. Im now getting a good FR plot.

My "ref" signal and IR does not exist now though since I have nothing connected to my Left channel. Does that matter??

Thanks for helping!

Comment

• sdl2112
                      • Mar 2006

It's not difficult. SE needs a reference so the left input channel should be connected to the speaker terminal through a voltage divider and the mic preamp connected to the right input.

Comment

• penngray
                        • Sep 2007

what if I do not want to build a voltage divider box and do not want to connect anything to the left channel? Does that screw up soundeasy measurements?

Comment

• sdl2112
                          • Mar 2006

Both channels are required. The reference provides the reference signal for amplitude and phase and it automatically calibrates out the response of the amplifier and sound card.

Comment

• JonP
                            • Apr 2006

Looks like you got the overall basics answered. Play with your sound card in and out levels... typically, line in all the way up or nearly, adjust output for good signal level. You want to be pretty close to the top of the meters, without hitting the red. Better signal to noise ratio.

And, another important point when you have both channels of input showing up, is that they need to be the same polarity. A checkbox in the setup window will invert polarity if you need to.

Be very careful if you're trying to run without "probes" or some attenuator, if you have an external amp. It's very easy to smoke your soundcard otherwise.

Comment

• penngray
                              • Sep 2007

Thanks Jon!

Im going to run measurements with the probe setup. I will read help files to figure out if input channels have the same polarity.

Comment

• Randy Swain
                                • Jun 2022

Hi I hav e soundeasy 10 upgraded to 14. I am not able to see full size of driver editor window. Any help? Thanks

Comment

• augerpro
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2006

Is you windows scaling over 100%?
                                  ~Brandon 8O
                                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                  DriverVault
                                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Reet
                                    • Dec 2007

Screen resolution? Not much info provided here to work with...V14 is old, like 14 years or so, SE is at v28 now, and FWIW it looks like the "official support" has just moved to groups.io:
                                    This is a group dedicated to the use of software created by Bodzio https://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/

As a modern alternative, VituixCAD along with REW or ARTA provide a much more user friendly experience.
                                    https://discord.gg/h5SuNKDJfx

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Of course, there are those who's Force intuition lead them to tools like Fuzzmeaure and Clio or Pocket Clio- the latter is multi-platform, and very reasonably priced considering it includes the audio interface, software, and microphone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	390-900_HR_0.default.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	866952

Click image for larger version

Name:	CLIO_pocket_150_screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	866953
                                      DFAL
                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Reet
                                        • Dec 2007

Clio pocket is only a single channel system though, no? Need the full Clio package for dual channel measurements to match the functionality of SE or ARTA.

Comment

• kimmosto
                                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Reet
                                          Clio pocket is only a single channel system though, no? Need the full Clio package for dual channel measurements to match the functionality of SE or ARTA.
                                          All CLIO programs and interfaces are able to measure timing without software functions and external loopback connection required with measurement programs for generic audio interfaces.
                                          VituixCAD, Features, User manual, Measurements with CLIO, ARTA, REW, SoundEasy, Download

Comment

• Reet
                                            • Dec 2007

Interesting, thanks for clarifying. I had looked at the Clio system a few years back, but it wasn’t clear to me reading the documentation other than the fact that the pocket clearly had a single input so I had assumed it had the same limitations of a normal audio interface.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

The Pocket Clio Survival Guide and Joe D'Apollito's review may clear up some confusion- but there's a lot of stuff in that little box that is not documented in a block diagram. Note the use of an internal calibration procedure to complete before any measurements, as well as recording the specific sensitivity for the test microphone, which is provided for each microphone shipped.

While I wouldn't give up my ACO Pacific mics, pre buffers, and MOTUS interface, there's a lot to say for what the Pocket CLIO can do. Contrast and compare will be on my agenda after things settle down. Of course, part of my interest is because it includes software for the MacOS platform, and a 64 bit version that even runs well under Rosetta II emulation on M1 Macs.
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"