X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Craig
    • Jul 2006

Buyer Beware

Watch out for misleading x-max specifications. Recently I noticed a 3" woofer that claims 12mm of excursion when it's suspension will only go about 2mm in a linear fashion.
  • LING GOWA
    • Dec 2007

Which one?
    Website

Comment

• bd1000
      • Nov 2009

might have been a typo, or an intentional one

Comment

• Rick Craig
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by LING GOWA
        Which one?
        Sells for over $150

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by bd1000
          might have been a typo, or an intentional one
          No typo.

Comment

• jkrutke
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Rick Craig
            Sells for over $150
            Hi Rick,

I'd assume you're talking about the Audience A3. It's not really a surprise, I've tested 4 XBL^2 midwoofers all the way back to the original Extremis and so far every one has been severely suspension limited.

Most of us won't get our hands on one of those to test. Anything else worth mentioning from your testing?
            Zaph|Audio

Comment

• kevinp.
              • Apr 2008

That $20 3 1/2" Dayton ND90 is looking better and better all the time...

Comment

• Rick Craig
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jkrutke
                Hi Rick,

I'd assume you're talking about the Audience A3. It's not really a surprise, I've tested 4 XBL^2 midwoofers all the way back to the original Extremis and so far every one has been severely suspension limited.

Most of us won't get our hands on one of those to test. Anything else worth mentioning from your testing?
                That's the one.

Actually it was an independent Klippel test that I read.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kevinp.
                  That $20 3 1/2" Dayton ND90 is looking better and better all the time...
                  I have the ND 5" on hand. The ND90 should be a great little driver if it's anything like the Aura 3".

Comment

• stangbat
                    • Jan 2008

Tell me if I'm missing something or not understanding what I'm reading. From the driver's product page:
                    "The A3 sports 12mm of usable excursion..."

But if you look at the THD vs. Excursion graph on Page 2 of the specifications, at 4mm you are approaching 16%. And the graph doesn't even go beyond 4.

So all 12 mm are usable if you love distortion beyond your wildest dreams?

Comment

• Rick Craig
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by stangbat
                      Tell me if I'm missing something or not understanding what I'm reading. From the driver's product page:
                      "The A3 sports 12mm of usable excursion..."

But if you look at the THD vs. Excursion graph on Page 2 of the specifications, at 4mm you are approaching 16%. And the graph doesn't even go beyond 4.

So all 12 mm are usable if you love distortion beyond your wildest dreams?
                      I would be interested in seeing a response curve at different output levels to see how much compression there is. I like the NRC tests that show this and I think John and Mark should consider adding that to their driver tests.

Comment

• chrismercurio
                        • May 2007

I suppose this is why they want you to buy multiples of their overpriced woofer to drive individual driver excursion down into the useful realm?

I do remember reading the test in VC a few months back, but don't remember them being critical of the driver like they usually are if the manufacturer is way out of published spec.

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

In the pdf, they say the Xmax is p-p ala Seas so they aren't lying quite as much. But the Bl and THD graphs tell the real story. 3.6mm is 10% THD ala Klippel and most people would want to keep it below 2.5mm where the distortion starts rising so that agrees fairly well with what Rick found.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"