X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djhuang
    • Dec 2009

Need Advice on Speaker Build for Small Room

Hi Guys, I'm planning to build a pair of speakers for my brother for Christmas since he is stuck using these cheap home theater speakers and I was hoping you could offer me some advice on which speakers to build for him. I'm a fairly new and inexperienced DIYer as the only speakers I've built were Zaph's SR71 about half a year ago (btw I absolutely love them).

Anyways, this is what I know of his room:
    - The room is about 11'x11' and he told me that the listening position will be around 7-8 feet away.
    - The speakers will have to be near the wall due to space restrictions (so I imagine I will need reduced baffle step compensation)

Here are some of my preferences:
    - I want to spend less than $200 for the drivers, crossovers, and extra accessories if possible. My brother is very much into movies, music, and games so I'd like to help improve his audio experience without breaking the bank.
    - I'd prefer to purchase a kit that comes with all the little accessories (internal speaker wire, quick connects, binding posts/terminal cups, damping material, etc.). One of the things that drives me nuts is when I'm building something and I find out that I'm missing or out of the necessary materials and i have to delay the build while I order the parts.
    - I live in southern california and I know a lot of orders come from the midwest or east coast and can take anywhere between 1-2 weeks with basic shipping so I need the option of getting the shipment within 2-3 days.

One of the speakers that I have been looking at is the ZA5.2 vented 2-way. I'm not very good at determining what speakers are good for a small room of this size so hopefully some of you can provide me with a few suggestions.

Anyways, if you need any more info from me let me know. Thanks in advance!

- Daniel
  • Licinius
    • Sep 2006

I completely recommend the ZA5.2 ported. They sound absolutely excellent for the price, and can put out plenty of sound for small to medium sized rooms -- very satisfying. The kit from madisound has all the stuff you need, but is going to end up at about $250 with accessories and upgraded shipping.

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

I think that Zaph-kit is probably as good as it gets for those money, but they will probably need a subwoofer (or even better two) in due time if he is big into movies. So I say go for it and supplement them with a sub in the future.

Btw, you need to decide fast! :E :B

Comment

• djhuang
        • Dec 2009

Thanks, that's good to know! Have you built it yourself? I wasn't sure if the listening field at 7-8' feet away would be too close.

Comment

• djhuang
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Jonasz
          I think that Zaph-kit is probably as good as it gets for those money, but they will probably need a subwoofer (or even better two) in due time if he is big into movies. So I say go for it and supplement them with a sub in the future.

Btw, you need to decide fast! :E :B
          Haha yes I need to decide fast! I will probably decide today (I know this forum is very active so I was hoping for quick responses). He has a cheap sub right now but he knows that it will need to be upgraded later on (along with his receiver). As for now, we are just going to work on his system little by little.

Comment

• Licinius
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by djhuang
            Thanks, that's good to know! Have you built it yourself? I wasn't sure if the listening field at 7-8' feet away would be too close.
            I have built them myself. I don't believe that's all that close, you can always tow them in a bit. I built the ported ones, as I'm using them for music exclusively... If this is for a theater setup primarily, and there is a sub, you might want go to sealed if you're concerned about the headroom.

Comment

• djhuang
              • Dec 2009

did you end up using the parts-express prebuilt cabinets?

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

I think the Zaph ZA5.2 is a better speaker. But the other option I would probably suggest is PE TriTrix MTM kit. With the knockdown cabinets (which will make building them a lot faster), it comes to $199. That is a real deal.

Another thing nice about this kit is that there is also a smaller MT design that would be nice for surrounds:

Curt also has a center channel design, which isn't in a kit.

Your brother is one lucky guy. My brother was lucky I spent $50 on his Christmas gift. If you're brother is currently living with crappy little speakers, he probably wouldn't appreciate the difference is quality. between the TriTrix and the Zaph ZA kit.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• evilskillit
                  • Oct 2008

Roman's Microbes rjbaudio.com are also pretty good, just to give you some other options. I built a version using the Vifa ring radiator tweeter and they came out to a little over $200 for the pair including binding posts and stuff. I think they sound great tho I haven't heard a Zaph design yet.

Comment

• djhuang
                    • Dec 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about the TriTrix before as well as I am well aware of it's value and reputation but the problem is that my brother actually lives in New York so he's going to have to pack these suckers up and take them back with him, perhaps as a carry-on (he said he'll make it work ).

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                      • Oct 2009

Why Not Ship them to his House?

Enjoy them together over the holidays and ship them to his house the day before he leaves. You could probably assemble that kit on a Saturday(together with your brother could be fun), test it and then shoot it with paint on Saturday night and be listening to them on Monday.
                      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"