X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Ebert
    • May 2004

8 ohm CC designs?

Is anyone aware of an 8 ohm CC design? I may need one for use with my HK AVR 154. The mains and surrounds will be Module MTs, so something using the Dayton RS series would be nice.

Alternatively, could anyone suggest how I might create such a design? I've been modeling various configurations (MTM, MT/WM, etc) with various (RS) drivers, and they always seem to dip well below 5 ohms in the higher frequencies.

I could simply use another Module MT, but I'd rather not have it be that tall.
  • Undefinition
    • Dec 2006

Good point. If you want to keep the "sideways MTM" thing, then use two woofers in series. Should have no impedance issues there.

There seem to be very few MTMs with the woofers wired in series (TriTrix and Tubifex are the only two that come to mind); I don't know why this is.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Modular uses a 4ohm or 6ohm tweeter...

A pair of 4ohm mid-woofers would work, but horizontal mtm is not the best choice ever... I would take the extra height and a modula mt.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

dang phone. Fixes ohm stupidly.

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Yes, but... he could do a W/TM/W setup, with the woofers in series, and still stay in the safe zone of impedance. Eh? Eh? :W

Comment

• Paul Ebert
            • May 2004

Yeah, a WT/MW is my thought too. But, when I try with 4 ohm woofers (in series) and 8 ohm tweeter and mid, I get system impedances as shown on this link:

RS180-4x2 RS52 Aura NT1 system impedance

I can't seem to do anything with the mid and tweeter filters (or woofer, for that matter) to raise the impedance above 200 hz. Any ideas?

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Paul Ebert
              Yeah, a WT/MW is my thought too. But, when I try with 4 ohm woofers (in series) and 8 ohm tweeter and mid, I get system impedances as shown on this link:

I can't seem to do anything with the mid and tweeter filters (or woofer, for that matter) to raise the impedance above 200 hz. Any ideas?
              Could you email me your project files? I might be able to help.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

You're not working with 8ohm drivers above 200Hz... - so you're not going to be able to get impedance up.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                  • May 2004

Well, the RS52 has a (rated) Re of 5.4 and the Aura NT1's Re is 6.96. Perhaps I could find drivers with higher values, but should I need to?

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                    • May 2004

Paul, I'd be happy to email the files. Could you PM me your email address?

Thanks!

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

Can you share the topology? Even that can give tips on what you could change.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"