X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

Anybody Build dlr's Chameleon's Yet?

I heard these at DIY NE and they stole the show for me. They were so unbelievably good on vocals. I am building them next, but wanted to know if anyone else has tackled these yet. If they have post some pictures talk about your trials and tribulations. When I am finished with my ZDT 3.5's(almost done, veneer is next) and the ported ZDT-C(enclosure is built, but have to purchase drivers/crossovers and solder and mount) I am going to build these(as documented). After the build is complete I am going to substitute the new SB Acoustics dimple dome tweeter and tweak the crossover. If I can talk dlr into it I will see if he will do the same. Here's the link to a great speaker:

"You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
    -Hyman G. Rickover
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

No Takers Huh?

I guess I am going to have to put up or shut up(these sounded great, but I think folks are turned off by the felt-I'll have to make grills). I am going to have to order parts and start the build. I'll post it when I get going.
    -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• dlneubec
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Chances are high that using grills will have a more detrimental effect on the sound quality than going without the felt, IMO, assuming you use fabric over a frame of any size. Grills normally introduce a lot more potential diffraction and unpredictable frequency response changes than an unencumbered baffle.
      Dan N.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Why not keep the tweeter that he uses in the original design? I bet it has better top end off axis response than the dimple dome. Plus with his mods he brings it up a level.

PS- someone needs to start a wiki on what a "dimple dome" is :-).

Comment

• CupCak3
          • Oct 2007

Which DLR xover did you hear and which do you plan on building?

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

Building the Original Design First

I heard the 2000Hz Alternate crossover and that is what I will be building first. Thanks for the grill/no-grill philosophy. I have only ever built other's designs. I think with Dave's design I will initially build his design, but change one thing at a time(i.e. felt/no-felt/different felt, grill/no-grill) I am going to pick up one of the new calibrated mics and stands from Parts Express and see how things are affected by these changes one at a time. I don't think I am ready to tackle my own design yet, but Dave's speakers(and his excellent documentation that describes not what he decided to do to, but how he came to that conclusion) encouraged me to try and learn from this build and possibly go on to create my own design next.
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"