X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmoeller
    • May 2006

Subwoofer compliment for RS TMWW

Last year I build my RS TMWW towers. They have been spectacular. I need a good XMAS project, so I've decided to make the compliment subwoofer for these. I was curious what size would marry well with the towers. I believe they roll off at about 100hz.

I was considering a 15" of one variety or another. I would like to keep the driver under 300-400$. I would be completely open to somthing a bit cheaper. Adding power and EQ would be required as well, and I would rather spend a bit more there.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Maelstrom-21" $595.00

Oh, you wanted under $400.

Tempest-X2 15" $219.00

Would work really well. Will give you the most displacement/$$. Good quality. Kevin has excellent application notes with several sealed and ported designs.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• mmoeller
      • May 2006

Thanks Ryan. That looks about right.

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

Looks like the prices went up a day after you posted them.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Yep. I thought $219 was cheaper than normal. Still, $259 is a good deal for a woofer like that. A few years back, I paid ~$350/ea for my RL-p15 drivers. I would rather have a pair of Tempests, but they weren't being made at the time.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mmoeller
            Last year I build my RS TMWW towers. They have been spectacular. I need a good XMAS project, so I've decided to make the compliment subwoofer for these. I was curious what size would marry well with the towers. I believe they roll off at about 100hz.

I was considering a 15" of one variety or another. I would like to keep the driver under 300-400$. I would be completely open to somthing a bit cheaper. Adding power and EQ would be required as well, and I would rather spend a bit more there.
            Actually, the RS225 in a sealed configuration have a F/3 of around 50 hz. I think you'll find that crossing to the sub from 40-60 hz. will work very well. I'd also suggest you get a plate amp with a 24 db crossover rather than the usual 12 db. It gets the sub out of the way a little quicker and minimizes the interaction with the upper bass of the speaker.

JIm

Comment

• orbifold
              • Jun 2006

MMoeller,

I have the RS TMWW's and love them also. I have a Tempest XJ-15 (tempest1?) Sealed, in about 7 cu, with the plate amp linked below.
              To follow up what Jim just said, this is my amp,

on sale now at $250. It seem to have the 24db XO.
              I love it, though I still have tweaks and so forth to do. I just added the CC WMTW.
              I would look at the link and check the comments by Vance in the reviews. I will probably put the whole system on a 30amp, separate breaker, and since I read this, I might try the hospital type circuit he mentions. Right now the SW runs with a 30' plain-jane coax and all my cables are scheduled for upgrades, too.
              I don't know, but I bet Kevin made improvements to the Tempest2, so I don't think you would be unhappy with it. OTOH, if you do have a large room the Mal-x would be great. That would up the $$ on both the driver and the amp, though.
              Don't fight, don't argue... If you stay healthy and wait by the river, you'll see all your enemies float by, one by one!

Anonymous

Comment

• stgdz
                • May 2009

Horn designs seem to be all the rage over at AVS now

Comment

• mmoeller
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                  Actually, the RS225 in a sealed configuration have a F/3 of around 50 hz. I think you'll find that crossing to the sub from 40-60 hz. will work very well. I'd also suggest you get a plate amp with a 24 db crossover rather than the usual 12 db. It gets the sub out of the way a little quicker and minimizes the interaction with the upper bass of the speaker.

JIm
                  With the LFE channel crossover add into the low pass slope of the plate amp? I'm assuming it will. Is it important to match the LFE filter and the plate amp filter frequencies? It might make sense to disengage one or the other, for simplicities sake.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mmoeller
                    With the LFE channel crossover add into the low pass slope of the plate amp? I'm assuming it will. Is it important to match the LFE filter and the plate amp filter frequencies? It might make sense to disengage one or the other, for simplicities sake.
                    Not in my experience. Mu philosophy (opinion) is the quicker you get the sub out, the better the sound quality. The LFE channel will give you another 12 db for a total of 36 db. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

The RS225's have excellent bass quantity and quality. By playing with the sub crossover, you'll easily get the amount of bass you want without muddying up the sound quality.

My $.02 worth.... YMMV...

Jim

Comment

• HareBrained
                      • Jul 2008

Although not absolutely necessary, if you select an amp with variable phase, it can help find a sweet spot to integrate with the main speakers. It's one of those things that you go "Oh, that's better."
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"