X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Not2Evil
    • Dec 2008

Small enclosure sub

I know I posted in another thread that I would have no sub EVER! // But.... I've got a few spots in my room I could put something like this.

In your opinions, is this a total waste of time, energy, and money, or does it have some worth?
  • dumaresq
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Not2Evil
    I know I posted in another thread that I would have no sub EVER! // But.... I've got a few spots in my room I could put something like this.

In your opinions, is this a total waste of time, energy, and money, or does it have some worth?
    I have never heard or even thought about this kind of design, but it uses 6" "sub woofers" I don't know how much base you will get out of a 6" driver.
    I am really the wrong person to post here, since I have 400L 15" 500W sub and my statements

Comment

• Vilbig
      • May 2008

The Boogieman rocks! I built mine at a total height of 6.75 inches to fit under the bed in the MBR. I used the 300 watt Bash amp because I already had it. The TB sub is definitely an over achiever. A single will even work in a 2 cu ft EBS alignment tuned to 20 hz with only 70 watts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boogieman - 5.JPG
Views:	862
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	853893
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:16 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• HareBrained
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by dumaresq
        I am really the wrong person to post here, ...
        :roll: No argument here. :B
        John

Comment

• brent_s
          • Jun 2006

No reason it shouldn't work. Those four drivers have a smidge more Sd than a single 12" so output is essentially equivalent for a given Xmax. The 6.5" simply let you use a shallower cabinet due to the smaller driver size. Ultimately, subwoofers only care about having the proper air space behind the driver...the shape of that enclosed volume doesn't really matter.

What is your ultimate limiting factor for the cabinet? A number of companies, mostly aimed at car audio, offer shallow mount 10" and 12" drivers with similarly slim mounting depths...<4", typical. You'll need to run the models to see how they compare for price/performance. The SB Acoustics at Madisound is kind of pricey, but Crutchfield shows a 12" Kenwood at $99.

-Brent

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

I used one of those drivers in a small ported cab with a 25w Dayton amp. Had a surprising amount of output for such a small driver. I would think 4 of them would sound pretty good, especially considering you don't even have a sub now. I say go for it!

Here is a pic of said sub. It was designed by Roman B.

Name:	Work3.webp
Views:	19
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	944143
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:17 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• nmuntz
              • Jul 2008

While I haven't built that project, I've built the same sub as PoorboyMike as well as a sealed version using a linkwitz transform.

That little TB woofer is a real performer.

Comment

• JonP
                • Apr 2006

I've also built one of Roman's Cerebus subs... with the original 70W PE amp. Might be a little more than it needs, but the 25W is probably a bit less. For an office/computer/small room sub, I'm a long way from turning it all the way up.

The TB 6.5" sub may be small, but it's got a lot of extension to make up for it... and 4 of them could do amazing things. You do have to think about 4 costing about as much as a good 12" that they will have the area of... but if you need the shallow space, you'll have that performance in a shape that couldn't be done otherwise.

Comment

• Not2Evil
                  • Dec 2008

Let's put this another way. Could the space behind the the tv/entertainment region be utilized for a functional (not kick ass) sub in a large area?

Name:	m_DSCF1814.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	853924
                  Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 15:17 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Undefinition
                    • Dec 2006

Absolutely! That's good space for woofing!

I did a little experimental sub a few months ago in my family room. I took two of the Tang Band 5" subs (W5-1138 ), and put them in a box the same dimensions as a PE .75 cubic foot enclosure, firing Push-Push. My family room is pretty big, and it can cruise along at 105 dB. I built it just to try out the Push-Push alignment for myself, and 'cause I had the box sitting around from a project that didn't work. If I did it again, I'd up the box size to 1 cubic foot and get the bass extension down into the 20 Hz range. Anyway, back to your point, the box is pretty inconspicuous--and does hide behind the entertainment center--and I could have gone even shallower with the depth if I wanted to.

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

From the looks of it you have 2 options.

1) replace the speaker stands with subs
                      2) build subs that fit into the openings between the legs of the sofa table

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"